Yo, When I say "mantra", you say "ooooooommmm"

SilentBob

Hey kids

So for those who don't know. I'm incredibly dissatisfied with life, as a general rule. I won't bore you with the details. But recently, I can remember feeling reasonabley good for a sustained period of time ( like a couple months or so), twice. The time before the last, involved meditation. Ofcourse during this moderately tolerable existence, I never realised the significance of it. I just read up alittle on it because it seemed interesting and decided to have a go.

In retrospect, it did work. I woke up with less of a sense of lythagia. I had a better mental state, and was more socially outgoing and just generally friendly and consistent in mood as a result. I also quit smoking without any real concious decision to do so. For some reason ( I'm pressume meditation had a part of it ) I just stopped. I didn't even aknowledge I had quit until 2 months into it or so.

The type of meditation I was doing was mantra meditation. This involves repeating a word ( mine was actually just two sounds...not oommm unfortunately) over and over in your head. The aim being to unclutter your mind and sharpen it so as to focus on one thing at a time instead of being scatter brained.

I gave up just because the novelty wore off and actually doing it became a vexing experience.Despite the, hippy/ falafel eating yoga freak stereo type this will surely envoke in some people, I've been thinking I ought start doing it again. Just thought I'de see if anyone here has ever tried meditation in general. And what they thought ....

discuss yo !:cool:

This forum is supported by the 12ozProphet Shop, so go buy a shirt and help support!
This forum is brought to you by the 12ozProphet Shop.
This forum is brought to you by the 12oz Shop.
Guest Pilau Hands

good for you man, glad you found something to hush the nerves.

i've tried meditating, but besides the benefits of just sitting still and being quiet for a while, it didn't work. i'd just sit there thinking about what i'd have to do that day, problems, whathaveyou

cheers

Awesome, I'm gonna look meditation up.

Meditation is hard for me though because I'm pretty much constantly in need of stimulation, but it sounds great, it sounds like I have some similar problems to yours..

In the shower my brain moves a million miles per hour.

Good morning.

Thanks for posting this.

Tofu- I'm glad you like the idea of it dude . From my limited experience there seems to be alot of different types to choose from, so if the first one you try doesn't tickle your fancy don't be discouraged. Also it seems to take time and practice, try to do it just for the sake of doing it. Hope it works for you. Good Luck ! :D

Coffie- I sort of know what you mean about art ( by art I'm presuming you mean the graffiti/graffiti related variety ). It's definately had some positive impacts on my life. It's also had some negative. I wouldn't say art's my meditation, just because they both have different effects on me. But its different for everyone I guess. To each their own.