Framing Question..... (Joker, im looking in your direction here.....)

Tyler Durden

alright, so, i'll cut to the chase here, basically, i need frames for some work i have to "present". im looking for something thats a very simple frame, painted black or normal wood color. i had a bunch sitting at work that i "acquired" from the returns because they had broken glass, i really just need the wood frames though, and i'd rather not spend an assload of money on then....but the ones i had at work were thrown out.

so anyhow, in the "canvas" thread in paper chase joker posted some new work in some frames that actually look exactly like what i would need, including their dimensions, then stated that he made them rather than buying them because it was much cheaper. im all about being cheaper. so i mosied on down to the art store and they didnt have any framing supplies, went over to the framing shop, they didnt want to supply me with shit but were more than happy to suggest assraping me by framing all my work for me. thanks but no thanks.

so does anyone know anything about framing work? if joker happens to see this, where did you get your frame supplies?

sorry this is a little rushed right now, im listening to bane.

http://www.12ozprophet.com/forum/showthrea...40&pagenumber=3

(^^^the canvas thread....for reference...if it doesnt go there automatically, the frames in question are on page 3...^^^)

This forum is supported by the 12ozProphet Shop, so go buy a shirt and help support!
This forum is brought to you by the 12ozProphet Shop.
This forum is brought to you by the 12oz Shop.
Originally posted by Mr. ABC

uhhh.....framing suppiles as in wood and nails and glue and stuff?

go the hardware store, dude food

i would suggest the trim between the wall and floor. there are many options. nail or glue (or nail AND glue) small strips of wood on the back of this to fit your dimensions. if youre looking for the simple yet elegant look, just use two different sizes of small strips of wood. you can get the raw wood to paint and sand yourself, or the finished glossy ones that you can just repaint as you see fit. for the back to hold the shit in, all you need is some screws and flaps of some sort, which is eay to fashion out of scraps of the wood. not sure what youre looking for specifically. post pictures of intent for further advice if needed.

Tyler... actually, those frames in question were already built. I bought them at IKEA for about $9 a piece. It's my larger pieces that I make frames for. And I just use wood from Home Depot. Nothing special. I could draw it out for you how I do it and email it to you if you're really interested. I use no glass though... for one reason. It makes the artwork unapproachable. If that makes sense.

If you have smaller works, I really suggest IKEA for frames if you're on a budget. They look better than most cheap-ass frames at art stores and come in great sizes. Highly reccomended.

Guest imported_Tesseract

I hear you on that one Joker, however..in long terms, glass protects the drawing a great deal.

Something i found out a week ago, theres matte glass...like, you are in front of the piece and you see no mirror images or light reflections on it.

I wanna try that so bad.

Guest imported_Tesseract

Glass can either do that, or work as a lackeur...the distance bewteen the work and the glass has lots to do with that.

I can see what you say, but i dig the non reflective idea alot

I also refuse to use glass over canvas. I kinda feel like it traps the art inside the frame. I have no problem using glass over photos and ink work...but never canvas.

I'm starting to frame my own stuff as well. Definitely cheaper.

all you really need is wood, mitre box and saw, and nails or glue.

the proplem with a home depot is they wont make 'precision' cuts.

so having them make cuts is out. With out a miter box making 45 Degree cuts is a pain in the ass, if need them to be 'right'.

cheep frames from ikea are the way to go. the other is

if you work with a sizr that ikea dosent have and you work in that size

often get a frame shop the dimensions you'll need and get them to cut

the peices for you , andd you just put them together.

there are framing nails; small double ended nails. so you can attach the

frames in between the joints. glue alone isnt the best idea but a lil glue

in combo with some short nails is good.

depending on the light in the gallery or display area glass can be very

distracting, as a reflective surface.

Even though it may look nice as a framed object its still all about the

picture inside.

day late and a dollar short.

Tyler...

This is what I do for canvas pieces. I don't own a miter (or is it mitre?) saw so I use the flat edge corners. From what I understand, this is a pretty common way of framing a canvas piece, cheaply while giving it some status.

Say you have a 1.5" thick canvas. Buy some 1"x1/8" lath wood and cut to size. Attach that to your canvas, lining up to the back edge of the canvas, and secure it using finishing nails. After you've done that on all sides, do the actual frame. using the dimensions above, buy some 2"x1/2" strips and cut those to size. Attach them the same way you did the lath. This should give you a little bit of a lip out the front and get your actual framing off the piece. And if you want to paint the frame, do that first as well as the lath. Then attach and then touch up where you used the nails. If it's still a bit confusing... I'll try another explanation.

wow.....thanks. i really didnt expect that in depth of a drawing/explanation. haha. awesome.

the frames are going to be used to hold photos (printed on glossy rc paper....). im not really planning on using glass at the moment, although its still in debate somewhat. but the photos will be mounted behind matte board (or is it just mat board? whatever...) and hung. im actually shooting to have the frame/matte board setup exactly as it appears in the thread i posted earlier. except its all going to be presented horizonally, but still essentially the same. im going to go see whats up with ikea tomorrow and also scoped out the thriftstores this afternoon, found some pretty decent frames there for a buck or so, perhaps ill look more into that although they arent the "ideal" frames i wanted.

either way, thank you very much, i believe i understand what you posted.