how hiphop is graffiti to you

Chicken George

This forum is supported by the 12ozProphet Shop, so go buy a shirt and help support!
This forum is brought to you by the 12ozProphet Shop.
This forum is brought to you by the 12oz Shop.
Originally posted by Gouged out 3rd Eye:

has anyone heard that song by juice-the elements? basically hes saying without graffiti, mcing, breakdancing, and djing, rap aint staying. they all revolve around eachother. there wouldnt be any mcs without hiphop. breakers wouldnt exist. what music poineered djing to how we know it today-hiphop. and if without graffiti, rap wouldnt be here-wouldnt it be the same the other way around-without rap, graffiti aint staying? maybe now that graffiti is so big, it would matter but back in the day hiphop had direct influence on writing. i dont know, im just saying.

i would give up grafitti if you could promise rap muic would dissapear...but seriously, graff started before all that other shit and it will be here when everything else is gone.

i may be wrong but there wasnt burners in the 30s...i guess if you consider scribbling on something or just writing your name on a wall is graffiti its been around for years and years and years...but i also think its different from what people do today. i think hiphop and graffiti both play a big part in each other..i mean graffiti didnt get popular on its own, hiphop blew up, and as apart of hiphop you had graffiti....so saying hiphop doesnt have anything to do with graffiti isnt really fair becuase i bet most of the people on this board didnt know what graffiti was 5 years ago..and when they did find out what graffiti was, i bet it was through something hiphop...im not saying everyone though so dont start yelling at me about how long youve been into graff and how you got into it..im sure some people just saw it on the street and liked it...but alot alot alot of people got into graff through hiphop..like me...so saying hiphop dont have shit to do with graff is an understatment at least..if that was true, the ammount of writers today would have a huge decrease..maybe im wrong..but on one really knows..just seems logical i mean where have you seen graffiti in the mainstream where the over all image put out wasnt about hiphop?...word

[This message has been edited by Chicken George (edited 08-27-2001).]

Originally posted by Chicken George:

so saying hiphop doesnt have anything to do with graffiti isnt really fair

that's not what i was saying. all i was trying to get across was that grafitti came into it's own without hip-hop and then writers started getting into hip-hop and all the hip-hop kids started getting into grafitti. sure, hip-hop helped to promote graff, but did grafitti NEED hip-hop to exist? not likely. tons of kids get into graff because of hip-hop, i would never argue with that fact, but grafitti is it's own thing, it doesn't need to be an element of something else. i personally can't stand hip-hop, but if that's what people are into i'm not going to knock 'em for it, i just don't think hip-hop should get credit for being the root of graff.

Guest beardo

chicken geaorge: i understand your initial intention of this thread, so here ya go..

hip hop is 25% graffiti

graffiti is 0% hiphop

they are 2 separate 'cultures' which one of them you identify with has a lot to do with ones opinion. i've always been a graffiti writer, i've had my hip hop listening to days, but i never associated it with hip hop (i didnt know about this whole 4 elements thing till i was way out of my hip hop phase) however if i was a tried and true hip hop dun, id think graffiti was part of my duties. keeping it real as it were.

its proven every day that graff is not only a hip hop thing. half the dudes on this site alone whouldnt be caught dead listening to hip hop

make any sence?

Guest imported_El Mamerro

Shit runs a lot deeper then most people here think. Regardless of what you people listen to, the type of graffiti almost all of you practice has been filtered through the hip hop influence. Sure, writing your name in public places has been around for thousands of years, but it wasn't until kids in the ghetto discovered graffiti was a way to escape their stale neighborhoods that the artform developed visually. Before that, it was just scribbles or hardly stylized letters. The ghetto youth embraced its concept of public art, and at the same time they refined DJing, MCing, and Bboying, they refined graffiti; that's why it's considered an element. Now, simply writing normal-looking letters wasn't gonna make you stand out, so kids had to develop original styles to get noticed. Before you know it, graffiti is suddenly a visual aesthetic artform and not simply a written message. The first kids who actually started caring about how big letters would look if you added a 3D perspective to them were the first kids who wondered if you could spin on your head while dancing, scratch records to make new sounds, and make a living rhyming on a microphone.

Any one of you who puts effort into making letters look different, playing around with color and composition, and perfecting can control in order to paint a name on a public space owe a SHITLOAD to hip hop. Hip hop certainly didn't invent it, but it pretty much made it what it is today. Now it's branching off, as we can see, and its relationship with hip hop seems vague and almost non-existent, so it's really easy to say graffiti has nothing to do with hip hop. But back in the day, it really did, and it was a very fruitful relationship between the two, one that all of you should be very grateful for. Beer,

El Mamerro

Guest imported_SecretAgentX9
Originally posted by beardo:

chicken geaorge: i understand your initial intention of this thread, so here ya go..

hip hop is 25% graffiti

graffiti is 0% hiphop

they are 2 separate 'cultures' which one of them you identify with has a lot to do with ones opinion. i've always been a graffiti writer, i've had my hip hop listening to days, but i never associated it with hip hop (i didnt know about this whole 4 elements thing till i was way out of my hip hop phase) however if i was a tried and true hip hop dun, id think graffiti was part of my duties. keeping it real as it were.

its proven every day that graff is not only a hip hop thing. half the dudes on this site alone whouldnt be caught dead listening to hip hop

make any sence?

fantastically correct.

i like hip hop here and there as much as my appetite for destruction album. confusion? maybe. but music is not a defining property of graffiti. graffiti is its own culture and thats the bottom line, cause stone cold says so.

i hate wrestling too.

lemme tellyousuntin....

this topic is gettin played out like the 2 virgins i been screwin for 2weeks straight.this be the whole pizoint....

learn the history behind graffiti. i cant say its a culture , it just exist . we are all on this site cuz of graffiti,but some got started later on in the history of graffiti , anybody can see graffiti and say "hey, this would be a cool hobby to start doing!" but the essence of real graffiti is the dirtyness of broken down buildings, factories, transit,kids with no money with nothing else better to do.. find out what graffiti really is .. we all got into it at different stages of our lives. so what we should do is make a thread of how you got into graff and why you wanted to do it?cuz graffiti really aint hip hop itself.... hip hoppers do graffiti,,, some do it cuz they think they need to? or some do it just because they allways did.

some body now put a 12gauge to this subject ........and... murda dem,murda dem....

Archived