school vs. part-time work

metallix

This forum is supported by the 12ozProphet Shop, so go buy a shirt and help support!
This forum is brought to you by the 12ozProphet Shop.
This forum is brought to you by the 12oz Shop.
Guest imported_El Mamerro

I credit good grades for every single dollar I've ever earned, so I dunno what to say about the above.

It all depends what school level you're at.

school definetly, with schooling in the long run you'll be making more than the min wage at mcdonalds now, and school aint bout memorizing shit, its about learning and developing skills to help you in the future with problem solving in the real world, for instance you may never use trigonometry in the real world, but its purpose is not so you can figure out the length and angles of triangles but rather develop your brain to be able to comprehend advanced thinking patterns more quickly and efficiently

Originally posted by El Mamerro

I credit good grades for every single dollar I've ever earned, so I dunno what to say about the above.

mamerro...was it good grades or the fact that you actually learned the material? I probably took it the wrong way, but my thought is...as long as you learn the material...it doesn't really matter what the grades are (as long as they are passing grades).

I know some people that had some of the worst grades in their programs...yet they are still making the same money as the people who graduated with "honors".

In my experience...most employers don't really care what your GPA was...they just care that you have a degree.

Good High School grades will get you into a better program sometimes.

edit:

if the question is should I stay in school or work part time...then I vote school.

if the question is should I get passing grades and not A's...then see above.

Originally posted by SteveAustin

since grades really, seriously, don't mean shit...I'd go with work. Might as well get paid. all grades prove is that you're good at memorizing shit.

yeah, memorizing shit and that your teachers love you, shit, gotta be on the football team abercrombie bullshit too

College/Schooling = Maximum pay/Minimal effort.

Working = Grunt work, caveman jobs where (unless you happen to know the right people) your maximum potental pay probably won't amount to the minimal college-grad paying jobs (minus the possibility you hook a really good union job).

This shit's up in the air, tho. How do you want to live? If you're content living from paycheck to paycheck with a few grand in the bank at any given time and don't need a cozy lifestyle... fuck it. Rock on. If you like having more money in the bank for whatever reason and not having to sweat whether or not you're going to make rent if you pick up $140 piece of plastic (welcome to my boat), then hell, go to school.

I dunno if you wanted this for people's opinion of what you should do... or if you were just asking in a general sense... but I guess all you've gotta ask yourself 'Are you happy with where you're at now?' I know I'm not. I don't have to live cozy, I don't need a picket fence, I'm down with apartments for the rest of my life if it ends up that way... however, I know I'm going back to school because even the $21/hr. non-college jobs I've had aren't that good... and usually not reliable enough to stick around for.

Archived