tips on meeting the parents?

Bloc131

Originally posted by KaBar2

Once when my daughter brought her "new" boyfriend over to meet her mother and me, I showed him my newly acquired MAK-90. I think he got my point. "Harm my daughter, I send your ass to the graveyard." LOL. And I wasn't kidding, either.

Hahaha. I wish I ever dated a girl who had a dad that was that cool. I would invite him over to take a look at my collection and it would probably end up spending more time with you hunting, talking gun talk and drinking beer. Forget the girl.

Originally posted by KaBar

He's extremely polite, but kind of nervous.

:lol:

No shit.

This forum is supported by the 12ozProphet Shop, so go buy a shirt and help support!
This forum is brought to you by the 12ozProphet Shop.
This forum is brought to you by the 12oz Shop.

here's some advice for when you meet them, guarenteed to work.

when you are introduced to them, shake both their hands and look them in the eye. whenever they speak to you look them in the eye. it will show them you have respect, and they will respect you back.

then if they don't, punch them in the face and kick over their tv.

ok i emailed her back saying any time sunday was good.

i am a super super picky eater. its like i am six. but its no worries. she's worth shoving some weird food down my throat. usually that wouldnt be the case. but shes cool. it just sucks because i have to lie with her to her parents about how we met.

aieeeeeeeeee!

i'll keep you posted. again, thanks to everyone for the help. you're great.

<span style='color:black'>Where was the first place you guys met in public? Just pick up from there and pretend the whole computer thing never happend. Oh wait...She already made up some outlandish story that she told her parents didnt she. I hate it when girls do that. This girl that was a senior in highschool the year after i graduated did that to me. She was like "Oh by the way my parents wont let me date anyone out of highschool so tell them you go to such and such and this is what you do." Fuck that.</span>

Guest -MOE LESTER-

WOW MEETING THE PARENTS AND EATING DINNER IS SUCH A GAY ASS THING

TELL YOUR BITCH THAT YOUD RATHER SHE COME TO YOUR APARTMENT AND DRINK SOME BEER AND HAVE SEX

FUCK THAT PECKERWOOD MEETING THE PARENTS SHIT

THAT SHITS GAY

i know its been said, but it really works to keep you on their good side if you stop and ask how they are whenever you see them. this includes if you bump into them on the street.

ps. dont wear a hat. older people (and parents) tend not to like hats for some reason :confused:

it was cool all the times i met the parents. most o the girls chill with me and the hommies from the set and their dads are ussually og's or just out of jail. go up to em tell em wussup give em daps offer them a smoke drink 40's eat some good ass food. chill outside with the pops drinkin smokin talkin about shit.

now the first time and the last time i had a regular girl and met her parents shit was fucked from the start. i dressed nice but i guess he could see through it and started gettin all in my buisness he eventually got drunk as all hell and hit me so i whooped his ass, thanked the mom for a nice evening gave ol girl a hug and bounced to go drink with the hommies. so dont the key is act yourself, dont put up a front cause most parents can see through it. true keeping cussing and slang a a minimum is good but use a little to let them know your not being fake. thats all i got.

Originally posted by Bloc131

thanks rip

this isn't a casual meet up. this is nervous city. her stepdad is a teacher.

JERKJERKJERK

your screwed have fun. teachers are the worst they no when your lying. sorry for ya bro.

I've had this situation a few times with the ultra-conservative, religious, girl's family, and let me tell you, it's not as bad as it looks. In a few simple rules you can learn to change yourself from a binge drinking chain smoker thats just looking to get a quick piece of ass before his next line of coke, to a well adjusted young gentleman.

First of all this "be yourself, and just be honest" business is bullshit, can it and can it quick...

For dressing: You should dress a few steps below what would be called for in the situation normally, dress well but not expensive, leave the gucci patterns and the jordans at home. For instance, if you are going to a dinner wear a buttoned shirt buttoned nearly to the top but not completly, no tie, slacks or a dark pair of jeans. Do not overdress, the family will think you're a show off, but do not show up in a ripped teeshirt that has ink and spraypaint stains and that pair of jeans with the holes in the back pockets.

For talking: Unless you are planning on becoming a saint later in life, or making long time friends with the young ladies parents forget about being honest, it will ruin your chances of getting anywhere. When tough questions are brought up, act somewhat shy, they love this because it means you are probably too shy to have your hand up their daughters skirt during dinner. The only good opinion is no opinion, believe me. They say in public speaking never bring up religion or politics because there is never a good answer. I've had those topics brought up to me several times and the best answer is just an "I'm not too sure," "I'm sort of in the middle of the road," "I really don't know much about that." People love to hear themselves talk, so give them a chance to take the heat off of you themselves. For instance: "So you're a college student, I hear that a lot of those professors are communists and hippies, but we're republicans what are your views." (I actually had a girls father ask me this, needless to say she almost had an attack)

My reply was something like "I can see where you are coming from, there are a lot of biased professors, I think the key is just to understand that and try to learn the facts without the biases, that can be hard. I'm sort of on the fence in politics, but I could definitely tell where you would see that a lot, have you heard anything about the (war/ debates/ election/ etc.)"

He had nothing to say after that, he just sat there and turned the radio on, he thought he was in for an argument. The point is to bring their opinions out by having none of your own, and do not try to agree all the time, they'll see right through it, and get into a whose more devoted contest. And BE SURE TO LISTEN, thats the most important thing.

On acting: Act polite, but not overly polite, so that they'll think you're fake. Open doors, keep your elbows off the table, but don't offer to serve the dinner yourself. Do what you are asked without saying anything, and offer help, but don't be pushy. Act a little nervous, it is a stressfull situation, but nervous like giving a speech in public not nervous like a parole hearing. Be somewhat reserved, but open to conversation if it's initiated. And it's okay to touch in a friendly way, maybe put your hand on her shoulder or her hip, but no more than that. Tongue kissing in another room is never a good idea. Most of all, act like you have a sense of what is proper in the circumstances, don't put your fries in your nose at dinner, don't lick ice-cream provocatively, etc...

Do that, and they'll love you, take it from me... I've been broken up with girls and had their parents say "I like him, maybe you should call him again." I actually had a girls mom tell her "I like your old boyfriend better" while her new boyfriend was in the next room. You can make it a negative situation or a positive one, as long as you play your cards right...

Damn that was long, hope it helps, holler*

Guest imported_Tesseract

I was never interested in meeting parents and always avoided it from happenning. It only happened in long relationships where its unavoidable, but i never had a long relationship with a girl that wasnt cool in every aspect, so naturally their parents were too....

easy.

UPDATE:

i came over right on time (go me) and we sat down for a few minutes. pretty casual. jsut talked about me moving out ehre and whatnot. small talk. her mother and stepfather were cool. her stepfather was rad. he is german and was friendly and funny.

then we had dinner. it was pretty good stuff. icecream afterwards = right on.

after dinner we all watched office space. then she walked me out to my car. it was a beautiful night. she lives in the mountains and there were trees and hills all around. it was dark and foggy and a little drizzly. and i FUCKING DIDNT TELL HER I LIKED HER. partly because 1/2way into the movie this dude she knows from school called.. so i dont blame myself for not making the move. i'm not here to compete with some dude. NOT MY FAULT.

but yeah there were some awkward moments. but it was good.

Archived