So I want to buy a video camera

ShitFuck

And I'm a little in the dark. I know what I want it to be able to do, and how much I want to spend, but I know some of ya'll know more than I do. So..

I'd like to be able to edit the video's on my laptop. I'd like it to be kind of compact and on the small side so I can carry it around the city and be filming shit and not look like a tard.. and I'd like it to be able to nice still photo's too.

My budget's like the 200 - 250 range.

Any ideas?

This forum is supported by the 12ozProphet Shop, so go buy a shirt and help support!
This forum is brought to you by the 12ozProphet Shop.
This forum is brought to you by the 12oz Shop.

Why should you care if you look like a "tard" or not? Not like you have to have those people over for dinner anytime soon.

Take that money and buy a cheap handgun. Proceed to store and rob it for a really really nice camera. Later that night you can pistolwhip your gf for "fucking up the meal again" and then you can take photos of the carnage to add to your sick sick photo collection.

First, rdo some research on the capabilities of the various camcorders you might want. I could be wrong, but I don't think a $250 camcorder is going to do the job for you. Check out Http://www.royalcamera.com

They have a bunch of good information, specs, etc. on the cameras they sell. I've got my eye on a really first class video cam--the Canon XL-1S. $2350. You want a camcorder with a DV terminal with IEEE 1394 connector, so you can edit your shots with a computer.

A Canon GL2 might do the job. $1250

Canon Optura 20 MC $560

Sony DCR-VX2000 $1425

Sony DSR-250 $3300

Sony DSR--PD150 3 $2389

Sony DCR--TRV950 (this is a cool camera) $1180

Panasonic AG-DVC200 $3000

Panasonic AG-DVX100 $2229

Panasonic AG-DVC80 $1449

Panasonic AD-DVC7 (pretty cool) $729

JVC GY-DV5000U Professional $3299

JVC GYDV300 $1499

With one of these cameras (except the Optura, and it might fly in a pinch) you could be in the movie making business. The Canon GL2 might be a little weak, but just about all the rest of them have Sundance Film Festival written all over them.

I got a JVC dv805u (I think thats the model). Its a small mini DV camcorder with a 3.5" LCD screen and doubles as a digi cam. 200-250 is not going to get you a mini DV. You might score a deal on ebay for some digital 8's or Hi 8 camcorders. You are gonna want digital for editing on a laptop. I bought mine a couple of years ago so I dontknow what prices are like now. It all depends on how serious of filming and what you are going to be filming. You also got to think about quality of video you want. Mini DV cameras now come with either 1 or 3 ccd chips. Cameras with 1 ccd chip handle all colors through that one chip. 3 chip models have one chip for each primary color yellow, red and blue and are of highest quality. Check cameraworld.com.

i hae a panasonic ewear, its really not a "video camera", but it does have a video camera feature, plus a camera, mp3 player, and voice recorder, its relaly good though, i havent found one problem with it. i have a 256mb card

empty it holds

1986 pictures (highest quality)

41 minutes of video (highest quality)

17 hours of voice recording (highest quality)

and 256mb of music

i put simpsons episodes on it to watchin in class, its great, imma buy another one when they come out with one

kabars got the knoledge now.

We've got one of these kicking aroundthe office.

you NEED to get miniDV if you want to go into the computer.

Unless it's a digital still camera as well dont expect quality stills.

The dv video frame is typically 640x480 pixels and that's really

shit compared to the 3+ megapixels you can get on a cheaper

digital camera these days.

Definately check the pawnshops.

and if you just want something to fuck around with... get a cheap hi8 and do your 'edit' in camera.

Originally posted by Kilo7-

kabars got the knoledge now.

We've got one of these kicking aroundthe office.

you NEED to get miniDV if you want to go into the computer.

Unless it's a digital still camera as well dont expect quality stills.

The dv video frame is typically 640x480 pixels and that's really

shit compared to the 3+ megapixels you can get on a cheaper

digital camera these days.

Definately check the pawnshops.

and if you just want something to fuck around with... get a cheap hi8 and do your 'edit' in camera.

i would still prefer a gl2 over that cam

Guest imported_sofarok

I strongly recommend the Sony dcr-pc series, great cameras. Reasonable price, strong, lots of features you will actually use, nice ergonomics, in my opinion all the other palm type cams are trying hard to come close and failing, I use them regularly, I own a cannon which I only bought cus I was very cheap and I needed something to use mainly for capturing etc and its ok but go for a Sony…if you have real money to spend and want to go for 3ccd’s then there’s lots of good shit, the Sony vx200 and cannon xm2 (I had an xm1 but some bastard stole it.) are great, thexl1 is superb but not as practical as the others…currently im trying to figure out a way to get one of the new generation of pro scan, hi def almost film like dv cams that are coming now. Had a go on a Panasonic model and fell in love….

Archived