for $140 will the KAWS Chomper kill my enemies?? cause if not....

mental invalid

Originally posted by Misteraven

And I know you're far more aware a person to actually believe your own statement, "without us to sell them to, the images he borrows would never have been created in the first place and he'd be left with a skull and cross bones, floating in a sea of empty space". His skull and crossbones icon is his personal motif and certainly couldnt have been created with the assumption that it'd kick off a japanese cult following or an art career. Further, it doesn't float in a sea of empty space, but rather serves as a vehicle of expression.

"without us to sell them to, the images he borrows would never have been created in the fist place"

his whole career, or atleast public career as an artist, has been based on the co-opting of pop-culture images, be it the simpsons, mickey mouse, or in the early days, when it intertwined with models on CKone and cigarette ads. that is what i meant when i said 'in a sea of empty space'. without these images, created by others to sell 'us' products, his icon would just be floating around. the whole impact of his work, if there is any, is the melding of his image, onto pre existing images. pre existing images that were created for us, and by us (in this instance) i mean 20 something youth culture, not just writers.

i dont want it to seem like im trying to argue semantics. from the begining ive tried to remain as humble as i possibly could, and point out that my feelings were much larger than just this situation. perhaps i errored when i refered to 'us' or 'we'. maybe i should have kept it first person. because while i am a writer, i am also the $20 art fag magazine buying, 20somthing urbanite that would come in contact with his work, even if i didnt write.

This forum is supported by the 12ozProphet Shop, so go buy a shirt and help support!
This forum is brought to you by the 12ozProphet Shop.
This forum is brought to you by the 12oz Shop.
  • Replies 199
  • Created
  • Last Reply
Originally posted by mental invalid

...but for the most part this has been about the Chomper doll...is it art? is it worth 140? how do you determine worth? art as an investment, etc etc....

i have no problem with a discussion on this subject. frankly, i'm impressed with the eloquence with which this topic has been discussed. my comments were directly aimed at those posts which i believed to be off topic and directly aimed at kaws.

Guest imported_Tesseract

Honestly, i didnt read all 4 pages of this thread..but enough to get in the subject...

When Writers decided to work for CK1 i was a bit pissed (roe must remember that)...main reason is that i found it greedy and hypocritical on both ends. As far as Kaws goes, i personally dont like his stuff or concider it in any way "important" enough to pay money for it...however..if we're getting in an art market discussion the first thing to do is to cross out the word 'art' from it...Duchamp, as said, spend his whole life trickin' the market..selling rich americans "air from paris", making fun of critics by labeling art a pee-peeper and rebuying his own works two times the price he sold it just to resell it four times the ammount...in the exact same example, what matters to me is the other things Duchamp did...the art part..and thats the reason i hold him high.

People sell touristic crap for crazy ammounts just because people buy it...is it art? i wouldnt say so...why cant kaws sell toys for 140$?..its what he does and the price is dictated by buyers. It isnt an item i'd see in my collection but i dont see a fault on his behalf

thank you KAWS.

i just wanna say, before this gets too outta hand or before KAWS is served up as some sacrificial lamb by those that would rather critique than create (maybe i'm too late):

thank you KAWS and everyone that has posted.

while i don't necessarily like KAWS's artwork i'll be damned before i neglect to appreciate the creativity and the process that it must've taken to get from grafitti on a bustop to canvas in a gallery.

thank you KAWS and everyone that has posted for making me think and affording me the opportunity to form an opinion.

peace.

i dont have time to argue this to the full extent, but its a toy that kaws KNOWS people will pay 140 dollars for. the same people who sweat his shit in galleries, on ebay and on his own website will be lining up to buy the little doll. if theres a market, why shouldnt he go for top dollar?

whether you agree with this or not, i doubt its going to keep kaws up at night and keep mindless fad-jumpers from gobbling these motherfuckers up like candy.

while were on the subject of overpriced items, whats the deal with $120 for a pair of nike dunks? in between overpriced "art" dolls, fourthehardway decides to mark up prices on general release dunks and sell them to the same people who'd be into kaws dolls. pretty smart, guys! those clay/beige/coral joints are 55 bucks shipped from another popular website (im not dropping names).

peace.

Guest diggity

140 isnt really alot considering its limited edition. i think that this whole deal has to do more with peoples taste than if kaws wants us to buy his work. while i seriously doubt i'll be spending my money on this piece, i havent had a job in over 6 months and if i really wanted it, i could roll some coins, and dig in the couch and come pretty close to it. As far as him not marketing it to graffiti writers, makes sense to me. i dont market my services to graffiti writers, theres no money in it. several of you already stated that you would steal it if you got the chance, that alone hurts the culture so much by discouraging stores to carry such items, in the long run making it harder for you to find the things you are interested in. I would think the another reason Kaws wouldnt want to market his work to writers so much anymore would be that he has to deal with all this drama. Although its not something I'm dying to have, I think its kinda cool and wont be surprised at the number he sells.

Originally posted by freightlover

while were on the subject of overpriced items, whats the deal with $120 for a pair of nike dunks? in between overpriced "art" dolls, fourthehardway decides to mark up prices on general release dunks and sell them to the same people who'd be into kaws dolls. pretty smart, guys!

Our focus is not selling shoes, and therefore we're not a large nike account, and as a result dont get great pricing on them. The retail on those shoes is supposed to be set at $98 (according to msrp) and is generally what I see them go for in my area. I know outside major metropolitan areas you can get better deals for stuff, but we're not in that situation, so we mark them up slightly.

Think of it like living in a rural area and paying $3 for a vintage can of jungle green, as opposed to walking into a shop in manhattan and paying a premium.

Hopefully in the future, we can be more competetive on those, but for now it's the best we can do. In the meantime, you'll have to settle for getting a good deal on caps, and be patient as we refine our product offering and vendor accounts on some of the other stuff.

Originally posted by serum

i think the biggest confusion going on here, comes down to art vs design. art to me is fine art. a perfected skill in a basic medium used to create something. in particular creating something from nothing. design is taking objects like canned goods, tissue boxes, stickers, toys, shoes whatever and putting a design on them. hello kitty pencil case is far from art and dick bruner is not a stationary artist. its design. that is basically what 'legal graffiti' [for lack of a better term] is outside of actually painting graff. writers make up the majority of graphic design majors at the art schools. t-shirts, stickers, whatever product is being sold is design. limit it to 100 its a limited designed product. art?? i don't think so. not to take anything away from kaws. shit he gives us an example of what can come from graffiti. as well as espo, twist, reas, shepard fairy. milk it whatever way you want. you want to make toys, people are willing to pay $140 for a big piece of plastic, go for it. its kind of hard to get your $ and keep respect at the same time.

I wrote a pretty long post but deleted it for the sake that it was before my morning/ afternoon coffee..This can be dangerous..

But serums point really hit the nail on the head for me. I had missed the design aspect and been struggling between the fine art vrs. product arguement..

And I probably wouldnt have thought much of Jokers comment untill you replied Kaws. Because at gallery openings things get hectic and you dont always have time to hit up peoples books. Totally understandable. Magazines Filter what they want..Totally understandable.

But I think this whole thread really plays on the ego factor here. Theres no 12oz filter to scramble your words..Regardless of his status or not, regardless if you knew him or not. It shows how you handle your fans/critics. Pretty Lame!

Originally posted by diggity

several of you already stated that you would steal it if you got the chance, that alone hurts the culture so much by discouraging stores to carry such items, in the long run making it harder for you to find the things you are interested in.

yeah yeah... and it drives up prices for the rest of consumers, etc etc.

stealing is a selfish act (as is graffiti... as is business), and i don't think you can expect much from a thief... i don't think many people would really boost a 28 inch plastic doll.... more like, if it was convenient to get it for free, sure, i'd take it (and likely bring it straight to ebay)

and i could really careless if cats have trouble getting over because i chose not to give em my money for their capitalization on something that isn't their's (yes, their name is their's, and they are largely moving it because of that, but the medium isn't... and it isn't a medium which is supposed to be capitalized off of [though i suppose nothing is sacred these days])

personally, i have much more respect for someone (like duschamp) that doesn't put any effort to get over off of some sucker in tokyo than someone that jerks themselves off like they're actually talented, and their work actually means something

hope that all makes sense, if not, fuck you *turn hat to the side and limp away w/ a mean mug*

After dismissing this thread because of how I generally feel about KAWS work. I read through the entire thing and came to the conclusion that anything I would have to say would only be beating a dead horse. I totally agree with the comments made by seeking and joker in regards to reading interviews where KAWS seems to dismiss graffiti. Even if thats not what he ment I still will hold that view of him. The way I look at it graffiti made him who he is whether he likes it or not, I honestly dont see how he could say that every train/wall/poster or what ever he has done was done solely for himself, things you put in the public eye are there to generate some attention for others. But hey will Im broke, out of a job, and painting walls/trains....he is busy making "art", selling toys, and making alot more green than me. If I had the intelligence to create retarded looking characters and market them out as well as him Id do it in a heart beat.

sorry, my jumbled thoughts, or lack thereof is due to lack of sleep and crazy amounts of stress.

i think it comes down to greed. he thought people would buy them for $140, so he set the price as such. i think $49.95 would still be a bit pricey but a lot more realistic, and if i were doign them i'd at least sign them or somethign too, i mean, they're only available for a limited time. and yes, i'd do the same thing in a heartbeat, but cheaper. i think it's stupid the price is so high because no one will buy them.

Originally posted by some pittsburgh flavor

i think it comes down to greed. he thought people would buy them for $140, so he set the price as such. i think $49.95 would still be a bit pricey but a lot more realistic, and if i were doign them i'd at least sign them or somethign too, i mean, they're only available for a limited time. and yes, i'd do the same thing in a heartbeat, but cheaper. i think it's stupid the price is so high because no one will buy them.

I dont think that it has anything to do with greed...Kaws is just another kat trying to make a living by doing something that he loves, and the cost of living ain't cheap, these days. Some people may think that the price is outrageous, and some people may think that it's not. Trust me, there are definitely people out there who will spend 140 bones on a toy...but, anyway, like I said...I'm not big fan of Kaws' work, but I can respect what he does. There are alot of artist who working to try and get where Kaws, and other artist like him, are. I really can't hate too hard on a brotha trying to use his art to put food on his plate.

yo yall mafuckas need to hold the fuck up an sit the fuck down an listen to a mafucka cause yall talkin an usin a whole lota words but yall aint even sayin shit like a constipated nun ya heard! yo yall mafuckas be having all types of super science fantastical ideas about a mafucka you dont even know an shit. yo you got a lil somthin you read an now you a god damn professor an shit. yo profess this dick an get a side a french fries mafucka! yo infact super size that shit an get a double cup of motherfucker is you done yet?! too. yo this mafucka right here he makin a lil somthin an chargin a lil somthin an it dont even matter what it is nawmean cause if you aint that mafucka then why you even trippin? yo the types a figures i be putting into my pocket dont pay yo rent so why you even watchin where my hand be at ya heard? yo some a yall need to mind ya business like like if you was a psychic or some shit. yo in africa right now there be mad motherfuckers dyin of aids an shit ya heard! yo the media dont show that shit on they little news programs or whatever cause they want you to forget but yo fuck that i aint finna let them sweep a mafucka under the rug ya heard! yo yall talkin about $140 dollars like its a whole grip a money. yo mafucka please! yo yall mafuckas must be on some dirty drawers shit. yo steppin out the crib with my hair all standin out like a fag at a football game ya heard! yo how the fuck yall gonna act like you know what a mafucka does with his money? yo maybe he be flippin these bitches an then sendin his proseeds over to africa to feed some mafuckas or buy em some pills for they aids an shit! yo yall spendin words like they was free or somethin! yo yall some scrabble mafuckas. yo this shit aint free an neither is them dolls namean! yo yall mafuckas is lucky yo when i was growin up we aint even had no shit like that. yo if i had that shit id be like a mafucka godzilla an shit fuckin stompin on barbies little bitch ass ya heard! yo id be breathin fire an shit and kicken bitches asses like yo who wants to get fucking chomped on ya lil bitch ass hoes ya heard! yo id put mafuckas in the big daddy death grip an straight chomp they shit like a whole heard a elephants done stomped through they village harassin mafuckers with they tusks an shit. yo just straight clownin mafuckas! yo this cat right here yo he doin his thing an yall doin yall thing an thats cool yo i got respect for yall mafuckas straight up cause yall handlin business an shit. yo thats real shit. yo i just wanna parafrase this shit for i bust cause yo i this mafucka puttin some shit out an yall buyin some shit an thats how shits goin down namean. yo thats what keeps the earth spinnin yo that shitis commerse an producin an shit. yo an i aint even talkin about producin like makin beats or no shit but please believe i put it down ya heard! yo that aint even what they hittin for right now though yo this is like a free public service anouncement na mean. yo its the ChriPizzy after school quit being a mafuckin hater an start supportin ya own peoples an shit after school special! yo you aint gotta like everythin a mafucka do but atleast admit that that dude done did that ya heard! yo this mafucka right here yo he made that doll an shit. yo before he made it aint no one made it before. yo he invented it like electricity an mafuckin cd's an 2 way pagers an shit. yo yall mafuckas should thank this man ya heard! yo he inventin shit for yall so yo life be more enriched an shit yo he donatin money to feed lil mafuckas that aint got no feed or nothin an he prolly given em free chompers an shit like yo lil man i aint got no donuts but have a chomper ya heard! yo i gotta be out but i just wanted to say that shit. yo what up to ma mafuckas that been down since all day yo keep that shit movin prune juce ya heard!

Christ CHOMP CHOMP CHOMP MAFUCKAS Puncher ONE TWO FUCK YOU Oner <-----yo ill mafucka!

Originally posted by Christ Puncher Oner

yo yall mafuckas need to hold the fuck up an sit the fuck down an listen to a mafucka cause yall talkin an usin a whole lota words but yall aint even sayin shit like a constipated nun ya heard! yo yall mafuckas be having all types of super science fantastical ideas about a mafucka you dont even know an shit. yo you got a lil somthin you read an now you a god damn professor an shit. yo profess this dick an get a side a french fries mafucka! yo infact super size that shit an get a double cup of motherfucker is you done yet?! too. yo this mafucka right here he makin a lil somthin an chargin a lil somthin an it dont even matter what it is nawmean cause if you aint that mafucka then why you even trippin? yo the types a figures i be putting into my pocket dont pay yo rent so why you even watchin where my hand be at ya heard? yo some a yall need to mind ya business like like if you was a psychic or some shit. yo in africa right now there be mad motherfuckers dyin of aids an shit ya heard! yo the media dont show that shit on they little news programs or whatever cause they want you to forget but yo fuck that i aint finna let them sweep a mafucka under the rug ya heard! yo yall talkin about $140 dollars like its a whole grip a money. yo mafucka please! yo yall mafuckas must be on some dirty drawers shit. yo steppin out the crib with my hair all standin out like a fag at a football game ya heard! yo how the fuck yall gonna act like you know what a mafucka does with his money? yo maybe he be flippin these bitches an then sendin his proseeds over to africa to feed some mafuckas or buy em some pills for they aids an shit! yo yall spendin words like they was free or somethin! yo yall some scrabble mafuckas. yo this shit aint free an neither is them dolls namean! yo yall mafuckas is lucky yo when i was growin up we aint even had no shit like that. yo if i had that shit id be like a mafucka godzilla an shit fuckin stompin on barbies little bitch ass ya heard! yo id be breathin fire an shit and kicken bitches asses like yo who wants to get fucking chomped on ya lil bitch ass hoes ya heard! yo id put mafuckas in the big daddy death grip an straight chomp they shit like a whole heard a elephants done stomped through they village harassin mafuckers with they tusks an shit. yo just straight clownin mafuckas! yo this cat right here yo he doin his thing an yall doin yall thing an thats cool yo i got respect for yall mafuckas straight up cause yall handlin business an shit. yo thats real shit. yo i just wanna parafrase this shit for i bust cause yo i this mafucka puttin some shit out an yall buyin some shit an thats how shits goin down namean. yo thats what keeps the earth spinnin yo that shitis commerse an producin an shit. yo an i aint even talkin about producin like makin beats or no shit but please believe i put it down ya heard! yo that aint even what they hittin for right now though yo this is like a free public service anouncement na mean. yo its the ChriPizzy after school quit being a mafuckin hater an start supportin ya own peoples an shit after school special! yo you aint gotta like everythin a mafucka do but atleast admit that that dude done did that ya heard! yo this mafucka right here yo he made that doll an shit. yo before he made it aint no one made it before. yo he invented it like electricity an mafuckin cd's an 2 way pagers an shit. yo yall mafuckas should thank this man ya heard! yo he inventin shit for yall so yo life be more enriched an shit yo he donatin money to feed lil mafuckas that aint got no feed or nothin an he prolly given em free chompers an shit like yo lil man i aint got no donuts but have a chomper ya heard! yo i gotta be out but i just wanted to say that shit. yo what up to ma mafuckas that been down since all day yo keep that shit movin prune juce ya heard!

Christ CHOMP CHOMP CHOMP MAFUCKAS Puncher ONE TWO FUCK YOU Oner <-----yo ill mafucka!

i couldnt even make it to the third sentance

Originally posted by onesecondple

i couldnt even make it to the third sentance

yo maybe thats cuse you cant fuckin read mafucka! yo you ever think a that shit? yo you prolly didnt. yo you prolly one a them lil bitches that wear womens panties an shit dancin around like a mafuckin fruitcake with your hands all up by your fave makin boxes like you was vogen an shit! yo you madonna ass mafucka! yo if you a material girl im mafuckin gasoline an an lighters bitch finna light you up like the mafuckin vietnam war an shit ya heard! yo i keep mafuckas screamin INCOMINGGGGGGGG like they was gettin bombed on! yo i aint even gotta say no other shit yo ma real mafuckas know what time it is! yo you musta forgot to set yo clock back a some shit you daylight savins time mafucka! yo i hope you get a free watch with that hooked on phoniks shit cause you cant read an you dont know the time!

yo i aint even gotta say ma name again yall mafuckas know who spittin shit like a drunken camel! yo fuck fakes this shits the genuin article. yo im the wall street journal of this shit! READ THIS DICK!

yo maybe thats cuse you cant fuckin read mafucka! yo you ever think a that shit? yo you prolly didnt. yo you prolly one a them lil bitches that wear womens panties an shit dancin around like a mafuckin fruitcake with your hands all up by your fave makin boxes like you was vogen an shit! yo you madonna ass mafucka! yo if you a material girl im mafuckin gasoline an an lighters bitch finna light you up like the mafuckin vietnam war an shit ya heard! yo i keep mafuckas screamin INCOMINGGGGGGGG like they was gettin bombed on! yo i aint even gotta say no other shit yo ma real mafuckas know what time it is! yo you musta forgot to set yo clock back a some shit you daylight savins time mafucka! yo i hope you get a free watch with that hooked on phoniks shit cause you cant read an you dont know the time!

yo i aint even gotta say ma name again yall mafuckas know who spittin shit like a drunken camel! yo fuck fakes this shits the genuin article. yo im the wall street journal of this shit! READ THIS DICK!

ooohkkkk....

yo maybe thats cuse you cant fuckin read mafucka! yo you ever think a that shit? yo you prolly didnt. yo you prolly one a them lil bitches that wear womens panties an shit dancin around like a mafuckin fruitcake with your hands all up by your fave makin boxes like you was vogen an shit! yo you madonna ass mafucka! yo if you a material girl im mafuckin gasoline an an lighters bitch finna light you up like the mafuckin vietnam war an shit ya heard!

You're a dumbass

KAWS, free samples for all!

In the event that you come back to this forum...

In your reply to my post you wrote:

" I've never, in any article dismissed graffiti as being childish or something that I was never really involved in. I'm not sure what article you're talking about, but I can tell that I've always been really careful to separate the stuff I'm currently doing from the term graffiti. Time and time again, I've had journalists coming to my studio, looking at bus stops or a Simpsons painting, and calling it graffiti. And that's how the work gets labelled as. I do make it really clear that the work I am producing now has nothing to do with graffiti. And labelling as such is inaccurate. You have to understand, what you're reading is a journalist's/editor's point of view of what I do. Most times after I read an article after the fact, it's been cut down and edited to a point where I feel like I wasn't even there. and then, you have other journalists who read these articles and regurgitate the same things. "

Understandable. I honestly don't remember what magazine it was in but there was definitely a reference to dismissing writing. Maybe your words were taken out of context, or misused. I think unless it's a Q&A article that can be expected.

As for the incident at the Houston Gallery... I have no reason to lie. Nothing to gain. You were on the top deck with about two or three cats and you were signing prints or something. I asked if you could catch a quick tag in my book and you asked if I could come back in twenty minutes and find you. Realizing that getting all the prints signed is important, I obliged. When I came back and found you I asked again and you seemed put-off. But like I said earlier, you'd probably done it a million times already that night so maybe you really didn't want to catch another tag. You started flipping through my book looking for an empty page and came across something that caught your eye, and made me think you knew who I was. You then became very talkative and went from catching a tag to doing a piece. Which was very cool of you. BUT, I found it odd that after flipping through my book your attitude would change. Maybe you realized I wasn't some toy, I don't know. What I do know is that it was enough to make me want to grab the book and walk away. And that's not my style... at all. Ask Raven. I do appreciate you taking the time to do what you did, but I must ask you that in the future, if at all possible, try and treat all your fans with the same respect you'd expect. Silly thing to say, even for me to write but something I felt I should say.

I have no disrespect for you or your work. But that night definitely struck a cord. Though, having had a few shows myself the past few years I now know how things can be hectic. So I look back differently.

Joker

Not from New York

From other posts:

"No people will buy them thats the thing...but who are these people? Certainly not any writers..."

I think you'd be suprised. There are plenty of writers out there willing to shell out the loot for such a limited piece. I still don't see why there's a debate over the piece being art or a toy. It's a piece of art. Because it's mass produced to a limited quantity doesn't take away from that. It's a limited production piece of art. And $140 for a limited piece of art is nothing. If this was a Twist Bearbrick would this debate still be happening?

i seen a dope KAWS tag on a pillar between muni lines under castro street at around 3:30 am.. also some hollow classic kaws k's in chrome on a black wall next to Twist and Beneto and Jor throught the tunnel. the ghost station was recently buffed but a staircase had some tags going back to 88.

anyway thats the only up close and personal Kaws art i seen. some judging from that, if i had the money to spend i would buy some Kaws art cause i think the shit he does on billboards to advertisments is effective manipulation of corporate propaganda which is the goal of most of the reason i have done illegal graffiti.

Originally posted by Joker

If this was a Twist Bearbrick would this debate still be happening?

perhaps i'm ignorant on the art world, but yes.

i don't even know what a bearbrick is.... or was until i read this thread.... and twist is just some cat that bombed hard to me.

actually since im a skilled tradesman, the price of a Kaws Chomper is only the equivalent of one day of work and since i work 6 days a week, its really only what i spend on beer over a week. and ima give it to my ex lady for christmas so she can keep it in good condition and have a fly peice of art and then auction it in 10 years for 500% of the value.

yeah. like that mothafucka. bitch what.

Archived