Blaine Emerges After 44 Days in Box

rubbish heap

http://www.comcast.net/apnews/Multimedia/Photo/BRITAIN_DAVID_BLAINE13.jpg'>

Blaine Emerges After 44 Days in Box

By HANNAH BERGMAN, Associated Press Writer

LONDON - New York magician David Blaine emerged Sunday from 44 days of isolation in a clear plastic box, 50 pounds lighter and buoyed by crowds celebrating the conclusion of his self-imposed starvation stunt.

Thousands of people watched the 30-year-old Blaine leave the box, which was suspended by a crane, after it was lowered to the banks of the Thames River. After living on only water since Sept. 5, Blaine was taken to a hospital for examination.

"This has been one of the most inspirational experiences of my life," Blaine said feebly, pausing and looking as if he might pass out. "I have learned more in that box than I have learned in years. I have learned how strong we are as human beings."

Blaine shuffled as he took his first steps on solid ground, and was helped to a stage by attendants.

Cheering crowds filled the small park near London's Tower Bridge and lined the riverbanks to see Blaine in the final few hours of his latest endurance feat in a box measuring 7 feet-by-7 feet-by-3 feet.

Paul Kenny, a medic at the site, said Blaine would undergo blood tests at a private hospital and be given fluids intravenously before moving onto blended foods. It could be several days before he resumed eating solid foods, Kenny said.

"If you look at him he looks great, but I suspect he's been living on adrenaline," Kenny said.

Sunday night's cheerful crowd contrasted strongly with some of the hostility directed toward Blaine earlier in his ordeal. His box has been pelted with eggs, burgers and balloons filled with pink paint.

Rick Brim, 26, a vendor working the crowd on Tower Bridge, said, "Sitting in a box for 44 days is a bit of a farce, especially because there are really people starving, but it's doing me all right selling binoculars."

Blaine has previously been buried alive and encased in a block of ice, and said his latest feat was both the hardest and "the most beautiful" thing he's done. His box was said to contain only a quilt, a pillow, a journal, a change of clothes and a photo of his mother.

A medical briefing issued Saturday said the magician was experiencing dizziness and nausea, and warned that he might die if he resumes normal eating habits too soon after his exit.

Before he entered the box, Blaine said he had bulked up to more than 205 pounds so he could survive on his own body fat.

Dehydration also was a threat, but Marinos Elia, a professor at the Institute of Human Nutrition at the University of Southampton, said the magician had been drinking enough water to prevent that. Elia had been monitoring Blaine's condition.

Skeptics have suggested Blaine could easily add some nutrients to his water, but the medical briefing said tests for alcohol, glucose and sodium had found nothing.

In the box suspended 40 feet above the Thames' south bank, cold nights have had a draining effect on Blaine, and he has experienced shooting pains, dizziness, nausea and irregular heartbeats, Elia said.

http://www.comcast.net/News/ENTERTAINMENT/...f84ecb39d1.html

This forum is supported by the 12ozProphet Shop, so go buy a shirt and help support!
This forum is brought to you by the 12ozProphet Shop.
This forum is brought to you by the 12oz Shop.

This immediately made me think of the stories I've heard of those 'holy men' in India that would stand on one foot or sit on a pillar for a month.

Either way, if he really did this without any sort of aid (ie nutrients in the water, other sneaky stuff), good for him. I'm sure it would be an enlightening experience.

Originally posted by effyoo

This immediately made me think of the stories I've heard of those 'holy men' in India that would stand on one foot or sit on a pillar for a month.

I think those guys are called "Brahmun" or "Brahmahn". hmm, guess i need to bone up on my Siddartha reading. The only part i really remember from that book is the portangonist banging the hot servant chick.

^^

Whats up man, blaine is supposedly getting a bill of over £1,000,000 for police presence there, some funny shit happened tho, remote controlled helicopter dangling a burger infront of him, hot dog vendors undneath him, golf balls being smacked at his box, eggs thrown at him, some dude climbed up and tried to cut off his water supply as well as someone trying to actually cut the wires that supported the box, red laser beams at his head(he got paro thinking someone was aiming a gun at him) hahaha..silly fucker....

IT WAS A STUNT FOR $8MILLION, SO MANY U.K. ADVERTISERS AND PROMOTION SHARKS WERE INVOLVED IN THIS . BLAINE IS AN ILLUSIONIST BY PROFESSION . SO 44 DAYS IN A PLEXIGLASS BOX LIVING OFF OF JUST WATER ,SURE. UNLESS THERE WAS A 24HR WEB CAM SET UP IN THAT THING ,WHO KNOWS ANYTHING . ONCE AGAIN LIKE HIS LEVITATION FROM THE GROUND TRICK .TRICKED

nah, if you knew me in real life, you wouldnt, mainly for the reasoning that i dont personally get affected, i'm beyond that, i just think its sad that people feel the need to try and bring things of other people down because they can never be that person. just like the bully at school pickin on little kids, all for attention purposes, all for attention...

HE lost 60lbs during the stunt, I went to visit him, he was just kinda lying there he would wave occasionally. Some flix I took while there, in the flick with the burger van u can just see the box through the gap.;)

http://www.nacksoj.pwp.blueyonder.co.uk/blaine1.jpg'>

http://www.nacksoj.pwp.blueyonder.co.uk/blaine2.jpg'>

http://www.nacksoj.pwp.blueyonder.co.uk/blaine3.jpg'>

http://www.nacksoj.pwp.blueyonder.co.uk/blaine4.jpg'>

this just seems kind of obscene. congradulations on being an asshole, david blaine. why not go to somalia to learn 'how strong we are as human beings.' there are people there who are starving without getting payed for it. wow. he willed himself into not eating for 44 days. granted, that's impressive, but considering starvation is still a large problem in the world, fuck your illusions and 'inspirational experiences.' he's in the position to do something good for people less well off, let's see that happen. how about pulling a sandwich out of your ear.:rolleyes:

http://www.comcast.net/apnews/Multimedia/Photo/BRITAIN_DAVID_BLAINE13.jpg'>

you don't look so suave now magic man, do ya??

nah he is cool by me, i always enjoyed he stuff opposed to most gay vegas styled nonsense like copperfield.

has anyone aver seen when conan had the copperfield look alike on pretending to do magic?

okay first of all its "bramhin"

second of all not all bramhins are spiritually aware enough to perform feats of austerity infact most caste bramhins dont give a shit about anything to do with austerity and are too concerned with keeping caste purity than accepting that humans are equal, the word you are looking to describe these people would either be yogi or siddhi or sadhu. not all sadhus yogis or siddhis are trained in the mystic arts of austerity and there are a lot of fakes, but i would compare david blaine to a yogi, due not only to his austerities but also to the level of magic he has reached, if you watch the dvd there is a scene in it where he makes a book catch on fire with the letter M, he performs this trick on my godsister, so i have heard this story a billion times, she was told by his producers to go buy a book in barnes and noble any book she wanted, and she picked out one that her son had to read for school, there is no way it could have been a plant or a fake, it was a random book noone touched it and this dude asks her to think of a letter she thinks of m for my other godsister meghan and the page opens burning an m.

i dont know i think he is intensely spiritual and intensely motivated to show what the limits of human endurance are, jesus supposedly fasted for 40days and 40nites in the desert, gandhi fasted a while and there is a fad diet out there called the jesus diet where you live off you own piss, and its medically documented as keeping folks alive for almost 25yrs, and there still alive.

rant over.

jobe.walking indian subcontinent tour guide.