Dreadlock tips...

NoEZ

This forum is supported by the 12ozProphet Shop, so go buy a shirt and help support!
This forum is brought to you by the 12ozProphet Shop.
This forum is brought to you by the 12oz Shop.
  • Replies 103
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Originally posted by noezywriter

Ok let me reply to most of you here.

seeking:

I'm not going to a salon...im getting it done naturally and cheap. And I think your the dick cheese by thinking you know about my lifestyle. Reggae music and pot smoking has nothing to do with my decision. I've thought about getting dreadlocks for years and years. Way before I even knew what pot was. And how do you know I'm white. So keep your ignorant comments to your self.

Die.....do it right now....die.

We know you're white cause you're laying on the defensive white vibe dick cheese.

keep,

its a cultural respect issue, not a concern for the state of dudes hair. and really, its just the fact that if you dont get them for the 'right' reasons, you'll come across as corney immediately. that might not make sense to you, but its simply the truth.

noezy,

you keep telling me i dont know what im talking about, yet every single thing ive claimed thus far has been true. seeks knows a little more than people like to give him credit for. im an intuitive motherfucker.

anyway, so 4th grade huh? did you go to school in a commune in vermont? you've since studied rastafarianism huh? do you know any rastas? every hung out with any rastas? you want them to show devotion to something, but that something is not this particular religion? you cant decide which religion to devote yourself to yet? dude, how old are you? religion isnt like trying to decide which college to attend, or what classes to take next semester. if its something 'you' decide, you've made the wrong decision.

it will decide you.

9 miles is not my aim name, it was a bob marley reference. i figured anyone who claims such an interest should have immediately gotten that.

finally, i do realize the complete futility of this whole conversation, but both the irony of me giving someone shit for having dreads, coupled with last nights boredom, and my general disdain for white kids with dreads, and well, thats what you get.

seeks/word,sound,power

Can't someone just want to simply get dreds? I mean, yeah it's kind of corny or whatever, but who gives a shit. If someone wants to dress a certain way, or wear their hair a certain way, why would it bother you/anyone? Can't it just come down to personal taste? and not a cultural thing? I realize for many people it is a cultural thing, but it doesn't always have to be..

Originally posted by CIPHER_one

If someone wants to dress a certain way, or wear their hair a certain way [or has a certain style of painting], why would it bother you/anyone? Can't it just come down to personal taste?

1. Things that do not rule..... they bother me.

2. dreads are not tasteful.... "hey look at me, no seriously.... look"

Obviously, people can do whatever they want, but if the action they partake in has some kind of serious significance to a culture, they will have to pay the consequence of always being questioned.

For example, I went on an educational trip to Belize this past spring and one of my classmates had a lip ring. We were all hangin out with some locals when one guy starts interrogating her like "Why do you have that? What does it mean to you?" and so on. She could only reply that she just liked the way it looked, upon which he looked pretty disgusted.

However, if something has no meaning to you but has a function, it might pass as ok. Like white people with super curly hair who get sick of detangling it and just let it go to dreds. Straight haired people with dreds? Now thats just silly.

If you are white and planning to get dreds, I'd say take time to rethink. If you think Seeking's words are rough, your just going to have to get used to them. Although I personally have no problem with people expressing themselves in any way, alot of other people will b/c you will possess something that means ALOT in their culture, but doesn't mean all that much in yours.

hey guys i'm thinking about getting a tribal tattoo and although i'm not a rich kid in love with himself or his car, i have done a lot of reasearch about them and think they're really cool and i'm not getting it to look cool because i obviously won't it's abotu respect man, you gotta respect something but i dont know what it is yet; quit yellign at me man let me make my own decisions

Seeking..I know alot more about rastafarianism then you've been giving me credit for.

For instance lets talk about what dreads mean to rastafarians. Well first let me say this. Dreads were not originally used by rastas. It goes way back to even before Christ. If my memory is right it was about 1800 BC even before probably. John the Basptist wore dreads, and lots of tribes such as the Greeks and Naga Indians and even more. Samson had them. King Tut had them. But back to rastafarianism. Dreads to a rasta is a symbol of their roots. They also represent the Lion of Judah which is a symbol of Haile Selassie, which rastafarians believed to be the Jesus of their religion. They still believe he's not dead, but his spirit was spread through out and took the form of new borns. Rastafarianism had roots in the teachings of Marcus Garvey, who began the Back to Africa movement. Which was the movement that told blacks that they were to return home which was Africa or Ethiopia. They believed a black king was to be crowned and was suposed to lead them back home. Ras Tafari was bleieved to be that man back in 1930, he was crowned as Haile Selassie I.

Rastafarians live peacfully, devote their lives to scriptures instead of material possesions. The smoke ganja to aid in meditation and gain further knoledge of nature and themselves.

That's pretty much just mostly the basic facts and information that I've learned over the years. If some of my facts are off a bit please inform me. I suggest you people learn more if you want to. Do some research, I'm not gonna tell the whole history. I think I might have made my point the best I can without typing tons of pages. I'm done with the thread.

Oh and seeking....i actually didn't start researching rastafarianism until about 6 or 7th grade. I should have said that but I didn't sorry.

Dreadlocks are BEAUTIFUL if taken care of properly. Im probably the only on that thinks this. Thicker dreads are sexy as hell if you take care of 'em right. Except on white guys...no i shouldnt say that....i have yet to see a good looking white guy with dreads, but im sure they're out there...yea, that's better, haha...cant resist a good looking guy with dreads, there's nothing sexier. I just needed to say that....

since nobody has givin tips about dreads..

i've had my second set of dreads in for about a year now. the first set was to mark my 18th birthday. then i shaved them into a mowhawk for no reason....i think i was drunk or on lsd...one of the two. i let them grow like that for another 5 months until i got a job then i cut them off.

then last year in october my close friend died . so i decided to dread my hair ..for mourning, change of lifestyle, get my shit together. there are other reasons.

i'm black but not rasta. i dont feel its a fashion for me. if others want to dread their hair and not know the history behind it thats on them.

two ways to start.you can twist the hair or braid it

things to lock your hair

• beezwax
  • black beezwax...its good for dark hair and doesnt turn it gray color if not rubbed in all the way
  • murrys
  • tres flowers
  • dax
  • super glue.......if your just too damn lazy
  • salt water......it dries out the hair making it curl more and tangled

the first month. if you are black. you should wash your hair with minimal amounts of shampoo once a week no conditioner. blow dry it, or wrap a towel around your hair...some people get gel twists wich is different because the hair comes out much more easily. i suggest not doing it this way. and after drying you should put a nice sized amount of beezwax or whatever you use into the root of the dread and work your way to the tip. then put a small clip onto each dread...bobby pins work best. when you sleep you should wear a doorag or stocking cap.. so you dont get crap in your hair. then in the morning your hair should be slightly stuck together,just gently pick the dreads apart from eachother.

the second month..by now the hair should be knotting together and you

wont have to use clips after a shower, and you can cut back on the amount of beezwax you use. i ended up using a bottle of beezwax my first month.

other than that there is much to it

the thickness of you dreads does matter. the smaller you make them the more likely they will lock together with surrounding dreads at the base so that you cannot see the scalp between them. making it seem that the dread is splitting apart when they get longer. bigger dreads take longer to lock up but are easier to manage when they get longer.

white folk...its pretty much the same i guess.. but its easier if you use the braid method. and stock up on those small rubber bands. and it does take a bit longer for the hair to lock up. as well as the hair slightly splitting off and making clumps that dangle off the dread.

color changing happens in darker hair people for many reasons. the longer the dread means that the hair that is closer to the tip has been dead much longer than the hair closer to the scalp. people that swim alot.people that stay in the sun much more than most. saltwater.

baldness....i know happens if you get your hair touched up alot at salons/barbers...there is no need to have it really tight.

dont dye your shit...it just ends up looking gay

putting hemp accesories in or around your head if you have dreads ,means that you want to buy me a plane ticket to your city and come over to your house so i can backhand you.

i know i'm forgetting stuff but i'll remember later

uhm.....uhh.....thats it

I think everything that could've been said about this, has been said, but to whom it may concern: I got my locks 6-7 years ago and I plan to have them till the day I die. My only recommendation: don't use beeswax. Or maybe, I should say: don't use too much...It can set up a bogus residue in your hair. Given time your hair will lock naturally (I guess... I'm not too familiar with how long it will take for a white person's hair to take lock). And please, wash your hair and take care of your scalp, this will promote good hair growth; you don't need to put anything on the locks themselves. And when it comes to twisting your hair, twist at the base of the hair not from the tip or the middle, this will keep them at a uniform thickness. That's pretty much all I have to add...

I speaking from experience, but, I'm pretty sure that we have totally different hair textures...so I'm not sure if what I said will be 100% applicable to you.

impressive.

for the most part you were right on, although i'd be pretty hesitant to quote king tut, or any other uncomfirmable group of people as sporting dreads, and certainly not as a form of symbolism. im sure any number of nomadic tribes, both black and white, have had some form of dreads, as its just the natural tendency of hair, if not maintained, but its not quite the same thing.

the idea that rastas are 'peacefull' and unmaterialistic is basically farce though, not only in practice, but in ideology as well. look into the idea of 'word, sound, power' for more on that. of course there are some rastas who are as you described, but there are plenty others, whole sects even, who do not adhere to that notion at all. jamaica is a rugged place, and if you're weak, rasta or not, you'll be pulled under.

one of the major problems i always had with rastafarnianism was its often glaring examples of hypocricy. so much of it was created as a false means of presentation and upliftment, which is understandable, but hardly noble. im somewhat at a loss for examples right now, but there are plenty of 'beliefs' in the religion that border on the absurd, yet are sworn to be true. a combination of sorcery and lack of understanding. there are of course rastas who recognize this, and downplay those aspects, but they tend to be the minority.

rastafarianism is also pretty fucking sexist, which actually is a perfect example of the hypocracy. preaching about how we're 'all one' yet then condeming women, and the natural functions of life, as 'unclean' is ridiculous, even if at one time it served an actual purpose.

ive met plenty of cool rastas, and find some of the ideology to be noble and rightesous, but the religion as a whole, was just pretty much useless to me. then again, i have similar thoughts about nearly every religion. hinduism, just for the sake of conversation, being the one ive found most agreeable.

anyway, i still say its silly, but as promised, ill eat my words and aknowledge your effort.

joker also had dreads for about ten years. when we first met, we talked about them a bit, and he pretty much expressed the same opinions i am now. maybe we're both sell outs, who knows. if you do it, do it all the way, or not at all.

seeks/aint no half steppin

good job Moogle

I still don't agree with beeswax, although the black beeswax does tend to not leave the same gray residue as the light beeswax.

The saltwater technique is the best. That is the way that Rastas do it.

I don't hate on people who dye their locks...but... don't dye your hair, the whole point is that it's supposed to be natural.

I think that kid started this thread for attention. i could practically see him with professor glasses, a smoking jacket and a tobacco pipe sitting next to afire saying

"Yes Seeking, your imperialistic view on the rastfarian phenominon and it's impact on white middle class america fails to address the stalinist urge of those in higher positions of authority to "diss" or "discourage" dreads. I studied rastafarianism by the light of a delicatly melting candle in a hippie commune and...."

Fuck, that's what dudes responses sound like. I feel the 12 Oz rage building as i reach for a broom handle.

Originally posted by seeking

the idea that rastas are 'peacefull' and unmaterialistic is basically farce though, not only in practice, but in ideology as well. look into the idea of 'word, sound, power' for more on that. of course there are some rastas who are as you described, but there are plenty others, whole sects even, who do not adhere to that notion at all. jamaica is a rugged place, and if you're weak, rasta or not, you'll be pulled under.

one of the major problems i always had with rastafarnianism was its often glaring examples of hypocricy. so much of it was created as a false means of presentation and upliftment, which is understandable, but hardly noble. im somewhat at a loss for examples right now, but there are plenty of 'beliefs' in the religion that border on the absurd, yet are sworn to be true. a combination of sorcery and lack of understanding. there are of course rastas who recognize this, and downplay those aspects, but they tend to be the minority.

rastafarianism is also pretty fucking sexist, which actually is a perfect example of the hypocracy. preaching about how we're 'all one' yet then condeming women, and the natural functions of life, as 'unclean' is ridiculous, even if at one time it served an actual purpose.

i was gonna post pretty much the same shit...

back in my pot smoking days i thought rasta heads were down... do a little reading and i start learning about the sexist and racist aspects (among other things) and fuck all that...

by the way, if you're getting em done in one night, you are not doing it "the natural way"... i had dreads for a couple of months, but that was only the result of sleeping in parks and on dirty floors...

Re: Re: Dreadlock tips...

Originally posted by seeking

when you get them done? you fucking dick cheese. you going to the god damn salon to get your hair dreaded?

took the words out of my mouth. why/how would you "get them done"? because you dont want to take the time to do it the normal way?

ive watched my friend do his from scratch and they're in better condition than most peoples... well... white peoples. he just does this thing where: first you roll the individual dread between your hands like play-doh snakes.. then you do this wierd thing where you hold the end of the dread and comb the rest of the hair upwards (i.e. most of the dread, everything except the little part in the middle that you're holding onto).

fuck "getting them done" naturally and cheap, whatever that fucking means. just do them yourself.

Do Whatever You Want

Don't listen to any of this bullshit, none of it matters one bit. If you want to wear dreads, or braid your pubic hair, or wear lacy panties, WHOSE BUSINESS IS IT BUT YOURS? Why even ASK anybody? Just go do it, and let the chips fall where they may.

I had a friend a few years ago who was an ex-biker from Detroit. He was a heavy drinker when he rode with a 1% club, and they used to go get all fucked up and get tattoos. He woke up one morning with a swastika and eagle tattoo on his forearm.

His club got into a war with another club. Several people got killed. He was partying down at the clubhouse one night and the other club bombed them with a dynamite bomb. Just about deafened my friend, and he suffered a bunch of small injuriies from flying debris.

He quit the club, and got a bunch of his tats removed, but he left the swastika one. I asked him why, since the swastika pisses off so many people. He said "I keep that one to remind me how stupid I can be."

Do whatever you want, because you WANT to, but make sure you understand your real reasons for so doing. When short hair was popular with the drones, I wore mine as long as I could. When long hair got to be popular, I cut mine off, and wore a Marine Corps haircut for years. When I got out of the Marines, I let it grow and joined a motorcycle club. When I moved back to Texas, I cut it all off short and trimmed my beard into a Van Dyke. Now it's all long again, with a full beard. Anybody that doesn't like it can kiss my ass. I do whatever I want because I want to. That's all the reason I need, and all the reason ANYBODY needs. Fuck a bunch of cultural imperialism. Do what you want.