Dreadlock tips...

NoEZ

Re: Do Whatever You Want

ok, when i first repleyed i knew nothing about the "cultural" side of this shit. i still see it as just hair, its not somthing that is going to always be with him.

i kinda relate this to my obession with Moko's. i love tradissional Moko's and would love to have one, but i would never get one. i love the look but have enough respect for there culture not to. ehh ive been drinking so im going to shut up now

This forum is supported by the 12ozProphet Shop, so go buy a shirt and help support!
This forum is brought to you by the 12ozProphet Shop.
This forum is brought to you by the 12oz Shop.
  • Replies 103
  • Created
  • Last Reply

whenever i see a guy with a moko, who actually calls it a moko, i cannot help but remember that moko's were specifically for the women in the tribe...

even if they don;t call it a moko...

granted they look dope, but i'll always think "dude... that is reserved for the broads..."

still looks dope tho...

a Moko is not stricktly for the women of the tribe,, and most of the women in the tribe didnt have them. most of the Moko's were on the warriors and older tribal leaders

as for the rasta discussion going on, the roots of racism within rastafarianism a practically nil, marcus garvey has said that until every color is one and equal than there will always be struggle.

the sexism is consistent with most viewpoints in religion based on early religious texts, most societies were completely patriarchal and therefore the religions became just that... but in reading into any text a consummate seeker should be able to distinguish between truth and what man has lent his opinion to.

now the one thing that most people have left out of rasta discussion seeking may have hinted at it with his comment on things being natural... is the blatant gay bashing inherent to a nature based religion or lifestyle. "more fire" ring any bells. now this can be argued to at least four pages, and i will not and do not lend my opinions to this discussion, but i will give both sides their due they are both right, gay sex is completely unnatural (not an opinion a fact) but it probably does feel pretty good, and seeing as society is so degraded to the point where you cant tell 11 yr olds from 25 yr olds, you cant tell men from women, you cant tell straight from gay i think its a pretty natural progression for some people to stick to what they know... and who they know whether it be male or female... damn im starting to go off.

and as for the moko discussion there are different mokos for different tribes, and they are not always considered "moko" women have them men have them and even couples get them, it is progression within a culture, it is beautiful, and even if men are getting female specific tattoos it doesnt matter as long as they know what they are getting into, and if you get a fucking face tattoo you prob ably have done your research (yes there are idiots that havent but...)

enough of that.

one.

jobes.not a rasta. not a hindu. not a maori. i just belong on fucking jeopardy.

Thanks Seeking for taking the time to go through making me explain myself. It actually made me get back into reasearching it a bit more.

And LENS...you must be the dude that imed me on aim and whined about me having 600+ posts and how I should've been banned long ago. Get a life dude...you need to quit graffiti too because your ruining our walls toy.

boxcarwilly,

what defines 'natural'? there are plenty of examples of homosexual tendencies in the animal kingdom, does that mean it's 'natural'? what exactly would make it 'not natural' in the first place? if 'not natural' means any sexual interaction not intended, or atleast with the possibility of, inception, then blow jobs, masturbation, and 'titty-fucking' are all just as 'unatural' as homosexual sex.

anyway, jamaican society is extremely homophobic, not just rastas. their newspapers carry stories about 'alleged' homosexual acts that were reported to have happend. we're talking like...'two women were seen kissing and fondling one another in a bar on brown street' shit.

there is a difference between having a male dominant heirachy, and holding the belief that a monstreating women is so unclean, and so 'dangerous', that she can not even be allowed to prepare food. thats just flat out retarded. perhaps at one time, before god got around to inventing the tampon and women just bled all willy nilly all over the place, perhaps then it served a purpose, not any longer though.

i'm not trying to bash rastarafianism, just pointing out my reasons for never being able to follow it. and as i pointed out, they are reasons i have for not really following any religion.

blah.

seeks/dont blow no bubbles

Re: Do Whatever You Want

Originally posted by KaBar2

Don't listen to any of this bullshit...If you want to wear dreads, or braid your pubic hair, or wear lacy panties, WHOSE BUSINESS IS IT BUT YOURS?

would you have the same attitude if someone was potentially disrespecting hobo culture? would you say 'who gives a fuck?' if someone was painting over streaks with no regard? i highly doubt it. not to mention that you're examples are completely irrelivent in this matter. there is no group of people that identifies themselves by brading their pubic hair or wearing womens undergarments, and even if there was, no one would ever know, so it would be irrelivent.

if someone was walking around dressing like a biker, wearing a 1% patch, hell, wearing a home made 'hells angels' jacket, would you just shrug your shoulders and say 'well, its no one elses business'?

again, i highly doubt it.

most of this is so misguided its rediculous.

i was recently at the Obgyn with my lady and one

of the doctors struck up a convo with me, long

story short his son has dreads and goes to a

"loc-tition" 3 or for times a year.

I almost fell to the ground. Dread, to cause fear,

locks, matted hair, are the absolute opposite of

anything you would ever need a Salon or

'products' for.

Hair mats. ALL hair mats. In time. Most people

with straight hair will experience slower locking

as the hair tends to get long before fully

matting.

Any product induced matting is vanity at work,

helping you along to achive the look you want.

Which is what it is but dont be surprised when

some not so EZ rastas look you so. Fashion dread are not held in high esteem.

there is a difference between maintaining a healthy appearance, and going to a salon. having someone 'tighten' up your shit for you, isn't necesarily vain. if you dont clean and 'groom' them to some extent, you wind up looking homeless and dirty.

dont tell me youve never had your girl tighten your shit up.

seeks/tight like frog butt

LOCKS

Dreadlocks are another practice of Rastafarians which is looked down upon. The matted, knotted locks of hair may appear to non Rastafarians as a dirty fashion or trend.They are a symbol of Rastas defiance of society and a symbol of their African pride and dedication to Jah. To Rastas the locks are their consecration to Jah, physically setting them apart from the world and uniting them with Jah. While many might believe that dreadlocks are braided or twisted, they are actually just the result of not tending to or brushing the hair. They are the natural form of hair which Jah had originally intended for man. Like anything Rastas do, dreadlocks have their foundation in the Bible.

"Rastafari is a positive way of life. It is being able to see God through your own eyes, to be independent, self-reliant and to do for self. This is what Rastafari is all about. It is more than a religion, it is a way of life. "

Sekou Tafari

SOME LOCK THERE HAIR CUZ ITS CALL, BUT ITS MUCH DEEPER THEN THAT.

please people ......dont forget that rastafarians are not the only people who do this..

that one tribe (then name excapes me and i'm too lazy to try to remember or look it up) in africa does it for not only religionionion but as a mark for becoming a man and it is said to make the male more attractive to the female.

and they have been doing it in india or somthing for a long time too.

dont quote me on that cause i dont claim to be all extra knowledgable and stuff.

and to people that do go to a "loctition" whatever that is on a weekly basis are just asking for the dreads to fall out...example::busta rhymes.

it dont think its vain to have somebody to touch your dreads up..because after awhile they do get a bit rugged, and if you do have a job where your grooming is key then it isnt vain at all..as long as your scalp cant be seen after having dreads in for 5 months thats just overkill

on a side note.......anybody ever try dreading their pubic hair?

seek

i didnt go into the issues that humanity has with keeping its natural identity, which i wont argue is completely lost. women should be bleeding naturally, learning more about themselves humans shouldnt spend 8 hours a day staring at a screen of "millions of colors' theres a lot that is wrong with the big picture i was just bringing up another of rastafarians most volatile subjects, modern sexuality not even homosex but the fact of the matter lies in the male semen is specifically designed to impregnate if that isnt the point of sex than its unnatural, going against nature, therefore the ras practice of spreading seeds is natural and the practice of good saturday nite sex between my lady and i without the purpose of having little ones is UNNATURAL i still do it but whatever this isnt my moral crucifixion here. my biggest problem with it as a whole is there is no definitive philosophy, there is no definitive theology, and in order for a religious system in my belief to be complete there must be both, not necessarily in scriptural from but something based not only in religion but in life itself. the questions of who what where and why tho proclaimed by the kabbalah to damn a man to suicide have an importance within spirituality. ok enough of me sounding like martin luthers 99 theses.

as for other culture with dreadlocks, the cradle of civilization has had sadhus rockin that shit like whoa for millions of years. shavaite, vaishnava and naga babas can be seen on the reg sporting dreads. in fact most pictures of Lord Siva are of him with a full head of locks, and if they dont stop at locks he may be seen with a full head of snakes, black nagas.

the sara in ethiopia are known not only for their beautiful stretched earlobes but also their mudmatted dreads.

well enough about sociology class, yes dreads are in the bible the vedas and if interpreted right probably in the Torah.

i have wanted dreads for about twelve years and have tried numerous times to get them to take, knowing that they are a symbol of who you are and what you go through it wasnt my time, they never took, and now my hair this time *probably the 10th time trying* is actuallly looking like they might take. this is probably one of the best things thats happened to me in my life, i have learned lessons i would have taken for granted if i didnt learn them when i did. well that made no sense.... alright my diatribes over for now.

jobe.national geographic correspondant.

recently i was working at this ghetto ass web design place. my 'boss' was an indian woman in her mid 30's. she'd been here for about 7 or 8 years i think, but i could be wrong. anyway, one day her sister comes in, see's me (with my dreads) and gets all spooked out. she pulls my boss aside and says 'why is there a sage working here making web pages' (or something to that effect). fucking hillarious. she'd never seen an american with dreads before, she'd only seen the hindu yogi's, that would go off into the mountains, then come back down years later with their hair all dreaded. very amusing.

and yes willy, you are very right in the fact that rastas are not the only ones who have dreads. i kept my argument to them basically because they are the most outspoken, and the most frequently identified, culter associated with dreads. they are the people who dude will be confronted by, and and they are the ones that 99.9% of people will think of when they see him. as far as your desire to have dreads...hey man, i wish you the best. i have no regrets what so ever about cutting mine, and infact find it very difficult to remember what it was like having them.

i do know that people treat me very differently now. not nearly as much attention (which i never ever wanted) and far more 'normally', which after living so long in the spotlight of a walking circus, is pretty welcome. i always had it difficult also, because i lived a very otherwise 'normal' life. i worked in an office, hung out with 'normal' people. dressed 'normally'. didnt smoke pot, didnt drink (for most the time)... the combination of all those things confused the hell out of people.

anyway, im starving to death, have to clean, pack, do laundry, and make a list of everything else i need to do, so im not making any sense.

um yeah.

seeks/ummm, yeah, i did actually say 'titty-fucking'

i guess this may be a little off topic, but what pisses me off worse than whiteboy hippy types, whiteboy rastas, or whiteboy hiphop dudes with dreads is whiteboy numetal dudes with dreads. that's the worst shit ever. plus, usually they have tattoos along with it. from my understanding of rastafarians, which i admit is very limited, isn't one of the main reasons behind dreads preserving the natural state of the body? isn't it supposed to be about not tampering with the body's natural growth--therefore no haircuts and no shaving? to me, kids who have dreads with heavy tattoo coverage and/or a lot of piercings are mixing philosophies. one school of thought is that you shouldn't mess with your body at all, and one is that you should decorate your body however you see fit. the whole numetal dreads died blue with a septum piercing and 00g plugs seems so ass backwards to me.

^^ that's a valid point^^

...but let's face it; nowadays, to most people, Dreadlocks are just another hairstyle, just like cornrows and mullets. People hop on it for a short time, then tend to move on to something else after some time has elapsed. I see a large number of people who twist their hair up and plan on letting it lock, and then I see them some time later (months/years) and their hair is in a completely different state. A lot of people do it for spiritual reasons, but these days, most do it for fashion/trend. To each his own is guess.

I don't need to borrow anybody else's culture, already got my own, thanks

The culture of Texas and white Southerners in general is plenty interesting for me, so I guess I won't ever need to borrow dreads or whatever from the Rastas. I still stand by what I said--"Do whatever you want, without regard to other people's opinions." They might be annoyed. Oh, well, best get over it. And as for "hobo culture," I don't see that any actual culture exists. Most tramps are too busy trying to find something to eat or panhandle a buck to bother with culture.

Biker "culture" was completely co-opted from the very first second. It's even worse now, with every dentist and accountant in America tooling around on custom Harleys built by somebody in a custom shop who charge $25,000 for their trouble. Got a Visa card? Now you too can be "Born to be Wild!" And Numbnuts Harley-Davidson will be glad to provide you and your girlfriend with all the official H-D logo "accessories" that anybody could ever imagine. They don't worry about wrenching on their own scooters--everybody knows they don't have the time for that, what with their "active lifestyles" and all, LOL.

We live in a global village, remember? Cultural rip-off is just one more thing about the world that is "just too bad," along with the decline of the family, out-of-wedlock births, the proliferation of drug use, loss of wilderness, overcrowded beaches, shitty underpowered "disposable" cars, the move of the yuppie assholes into every decent town and city in the West, driving local real estate prices high as Manhattan, and the pussification of Western men.

The world is going completely to shit. Might as well get used to it.

off topic as hell but ive been looking it up tonight and it was mentioned on here so what ever

http://www.bod-mod.com/images/moko29.jpg'>

http://www.bod-mod.com/images/moko1.jpg'>

these are traditional Maori Ta Moko's.

the actuall word "moko" refers to the Maori tribes facial and body tattoo's. they were worn by all in the tribe but the more elabrit ones, like above, were on either chiefs or warriors and most women only had there chins done. countless other tribes have facial tattoo's but this style and the word moko are almost exclusily maori. ive been researching the hell out of this latly. if anyone else cares there is a book by Horatio G. Robley called Maori Tattooing that is being reprinted, originally came out in the 1890's, and will be out in Jan.

any true rasta wont pass judgment. i live by rasta ways but not all, i believe waht i believe. and i am white, like it matters. if you believe in rastas positive ways and want dreads then do it. until the color of a mans skin is of no more significance than the color of his eyes...."bob"

and sure you can say i listen to bob so this that blah blah

if you guys could just stop all this bad mouthing about something that is peacefull...come to hawaii and find out waht aloha and real rasta is

Originally posted by SteppinRazor

if you guys could just stop all this bad mouthing about something that is peacefull...come to hawaii and find out waht aloha and real rasta is

first of all your name is from a Peter Tosh

song, him Rasta same way true? "im

dangerous"-Peter tosh

Peter Tosh was no easy man, ya understand.

Ever listen to him talk; with the "fuckry dis'

and "the fuckry dat". Rastsfari is born out

of poverty and oppression. It was the

saving grace for those who had nothing,

for those who had no hope. Colonial rule

was devastating. Selassie, a black king,

Kept a black nation to from falling under

colonial rule; Had white world leaders,

bowing to honor his rule. These were

Powerful images and happenings to the

nya-men in Jamaica.

Rastafari Keeps the basic tenants of ALL

religions; do unto others, right over wrong.

Rastafari is not all ABOUT turning the

other cheek. There are some very rough

Rastafari.

As there are bad Christians, Jews,

Muslims; there are some Rasta, who are

not righteous day to day.

You are naive if you think all rastafari will

greet you with open arms simply cause you have dreadlocks.

Originally posted by boxcarwilly

the blatant gay bashing inherent to a nature based religion or lifestyle. "more fire" ring any bells.

gay bashing is not really a rastafari thing. Even though it has become a hot topic in the dance hall.

Homophobia can be more atributed to jamaican

culture; which is folded into what the rest of the

world may see as rasta edicts.

Gay bashing, oral sex, for both men and

women; are both frowned on widly, at least

publicly in jamaica. Its funny cause Jamaican

men on a hole are more comfortable with there

sexuality then americans.

You will never see 50cent row di boat, or drees

flamboyanlty, Dancehall artists , dance, jump

scream and whale, showing emotions in a way

"american" tuff guys are scared to. US tuff guys embrace with clasped hands in the middle carefuly protecting there chest form touching, and asholder pat for good measure.

Homophobia is a throwback to survival of the

fittest- two homos dead the lineage with their

union; spilling seed into non fertile soil. but these

days with science and over-population it seems

like a natural method of self impossed birth

control.

work is slow today. yes god.

Archived