ska

Guest unknown

This forum is supported by the 12ozProphet Shop, so go buy a shirt and help support!
This forum is brought to you by the 12ozProphet Shop.
This forum is brought to you by the 12oz Shop.
Originally posted by OGBforMumia:

i like the specials. or the toasters. im not really into ska though. i heard buck o nine is pretty good...real big fish were bomb back in the day..

yeah those were some good bands. I don't know about Reel Big Fish being "back in the day" but i can sorta see why your saying that. But i like the English Beat, Ska King Crab, Dance Hall Crashers, AquaBats, The Selecter, Hepcat, Bad Manners, Pie Tasters, Lets Go Bowling, Specials, and a bunch of others i can't remember right now. But those are some good true ska sound peoples to start out with.

i can't BELIEVE you mentioned Ska King Crab- they did a ska version of Take On Me first.

all that No Doubt/Save Ferris/Aquabats/Hippos/later DHC/Goldfinger/Reel Big Fish bullshit is useless. bad watery pop bands trying to jock whatever trend they misunderstood.

most people don't know/have never heard real ska music. in the late 70's/early 80's notable acts like the English Beat, Madness, The Specials, Selecter were reviving an old form of music from Jamaica (the precursor to reggae). and they injected a bit of punk to it in places. shit remained good until the mid 90's when shit just got dumb. ska tends to be a scene that grows, builds and collapses every 15-20 years. but none of what most people know of it comes close to the hallmarks of the style. there's too much history in it for people to half-ass the genre. everything bad associated with ska happened in the past 7 years, so look for stuff that came out in the mid 80's (the euro stuff is my favorite) and keep going back. if you reach far enough to be feeling the Skatalites original material, then you know you're there.

Originally posted by joewelcome:

i can't BELIEVE you mentioned Ska King Crab- they did a ska version of Take On Me first.

most people don't know/have never heard real ska music. in the late 70's/early 80's notable acts like the English Beat, Madness, The Specials, Selecter were reviving an old form of music from Jamaica (the precursor to reggae). and they injected a bit of punk to it in places. shit remained good until the mid 90's when shit just got dumb. ska tends to be a scene that grows, builds and collapses every 15-20 years. but none of what most people know of it comes close to the hallmarks of the style. there's too much history in it for people to half-ass the genre. everything bad associated with ska happened in the past 7 years, so look for stuff that came out in the mid 80's (the euro stuff is my favorite) and keep going back. if you reach far enough to be feeling the Skatalites original material, then you know you're there.

yea fucking yea! that's what i'm talking about when it comes to the real ska. the bands that you listed before that are the watered down version. same goes with punk. but i really don't listen to much ska as of now. i have a bunch of cds and old tapes. whats funny is that the phillipines have their own ska bands too. shit rocks! it's not in the native tongue, so it's un english. they are called Put3Ska...for those of you who know some tagalog, that's a swear word. but the lead singer fucking rocks! anyone want a copy of that, let me know. oh here ya go! http://www.philmusic.com/zine/news/2000/08...ska/index.shtml

[This message has been edited by Devilush (edited 08-24-2001).]

Guest fr8lover

ska really, really, really sucks...(play song here)

i admit though i was into the whole ska fad a few years back, but i never looked back.

i was really into ska fer a few years, but the only "3rd wave" band i really ever liked was skankin pickle. the rest were just trendy. the old school shit is hot though. old ass jamaican ska is fuckin rad. an the whole euro invasion is cool too. i like watching the old ass videos w/ all them 70's/80's bands. so cool.

derrick morgan

desmond decker

the slackers

nyc ska mob

stubborn all-stars

hepcat

rocker-t

ANYTHING with doreen schafer(sp)

skatalites... it was sad at the show for tommy mcCook(rip), all these old jamaican guys giving off a real morose vibe

Adjusters

bluebeats

...oh well, I like a whole lot of it, just not the stuff you guys mentioned...except that 2-tone shiznit.

Archived