arnold wins?

mapo returns

according to cnn, the website and news channel, their exit polls show arnold won the california recall election. on cnn.com they have up to the minute results, right now theyre at 12% of the precincts reporting.

it seems arnold is crushing bustamante and mcclintock, and the recall is 57% in favor of yes. i just heard on msnbc davis is planning his concession speech shortly, then arnold will give his speech. cnn is pretty much declaring him a winner already. ok now i hear davis is going to speak at midnight, eastern time.

talk amongst yourselves. i, for one, am very happy.

This forum is supported by the 12ozProphet Shop, so go buy a shirt and help support!
This forum is brought to you by the 12ozProphet Shop.
This forum is brought to you by the 12oz Shop.
Guest mikro137

LOS ANGELES, California (CNN) -- CNN projects that California's electorate will recall Democratic Gov. Gray Davis and choose actor-turned-politician, Republican Arnold Schwarzenegger as the state's next governor, based on statewide exit polls.

Despite recent reports that Schwarzenegger allegedly groped and sexually harassed at least 15 women, CNN exit polls showed that roughly 47 percent of female voters backed the Austrian-born actor. Men voted heavily for Schwarzenegger, according to these exit polls.

A whopping 72 percent of those who voted Tuesday said they disapproved of Davis's job performance, according to the exit polls, with only 27 percent giving the incumbent a positive approval rating.

The race -- borne out of voter discontent with the California economy and dissatisfaction with Davis -- was marked by accusations against front-running replacement candidate Schwarzenegger, and charges of ugly politics.

Davis, re-elected to a second term less than a year ago, would become the first governor recalled from office since 1921, when North Dakota voters ousted Gov. Lynn Frazier.

Polls closed at 8 p.m. (11 p.m. EDT).

"So far, at least, we've been hearing that turnout is on a par with what we've seen in some record-breaking years for governor's elections," Secretary of State Kevin Shelley said.

The respected Field Poll predicted as many as 10 million voters would cast ballots -- 30 percent more than the 7.7 million who elected the 60-year-old Democrat to a second term in November 2002 and a record in the state for a non-presidential contest.

The secretary of state's office said that based on turnout in Los Angeles and some other indicator counties, the statewide vote could be as high as 60 percent -- comparable to that of 1998, the year Davis first won election as governor. That would amount to 9.24 million of California's 15.4 registered voters this year -- about 385,000 more than were registered in 2002.

Shelley said more than 2.2 million absentee ballots have already been cast -- votes that could be critical in a close race. (Gallery: Scenes from the vote; CNN's The Morning Grind: It all comes down to voter turnout)

Tuesday's election was the climax of one of the most bizarre episodes in recent U.S. political history. Voters decided to recall Davis and chose Schwarzenegger from among 135 names on the ballot. (Genesis of recall rooted in energy crisis; Interactive: Recall petition signature counts)

Under the recall rules, a majority of votes were necessary to oust Davis, but his replacement only needed a plurality of votes. (Interactive: What happens if Davis is recalled?)

Davis said he felt "absolutely terrific" as he cast his ballot Tuesday in West Hollywood.

"I'm proud of the campaign we've run," he said.

He urged his supporters to turn out at the polls and said the state is in good shape despite the economic problems that helped trigger the recall. He also touted his record on health care, education and the environment.

"All these things have moved this state forward, and we've moved forward together," Davis said. "That's what I want to continue to do if the people are good enough to let me do it." (Biography: Gray Davis)

Recent polls showed a majority of likely voters favor the recall and Schwarzenegger atop the field of replacement candidates, followed by Lt. Gov. Cruz Bustamante, a Democrat; and another Republican, state Sen. Tom McClintock.

"It's up to God what the decision is," Schwarzenegger told a crush of reporters after voting near his Pacific Palisades home with his wife, Maria Shriver. "We've done all the work, and we've worked hard and campaigned hard and tried to get the message out there."

Gov. Gray Davis steps up to a voting booth in West Hollywood, California, as his wife, Sharon Davis, looks on.

McClintock, a veteran conservative, predicted an upset as he cast his ballot at a Los Angeles community center, urging voters to follow their consciences rather than last-minute handicapping. (GOP candidates vote)

"People think that by voting for me, they might elect someone they don't want," he said. "My message is simply, if you vote your conscience, we'll be elected on election night."

Schwarzenegger's campaign has been rocked over the past five days by allegations from at least 15 women that he groped and sexually harassed them in incidents stretching back three decades. (On the Scene: CNN's Kelly Wallace)

Schwarzenegger has both apologized for behaving badly and disputed some of the accusations, but he has not been specific.(Full story)

Women were featured prominently on the rostrum at his speeches Monday. Both Shriver and her mother, Eunice Kennedy Shriver, sister of the late President John F. Kennedy, were on hand to offer very public support.

He has also been dogged by allegations that he expressed admiration for Nazi dictator Adolf Hitler in a 1975 interview, though those charges largely dissipated after two figures involved in the interview discounted them. Schwarzenegger, who, like Hitler, is a native of Austria, has vehemently denied that he ever had Nazi sympathies.

Guest BROWNer

a little bit more on that little hotel meeting with bush's bud ken 'scuzz' lay during the

cali energy 'crisis'.

and the one i originally posted, with an update/response to the

allegations.

orrin hatch and the boys must be..pumped.

because im sick of career politicians selling out to special interests.

arnold is a moderate, which i like.

i also like his stance on gay rights, illegal immigration, and abortion.

just give him a chance. jesse ventura was a good governor, so ya never know. but fuck all these career politicians who are only out for themselves.

even if arnold isnt a great governor, i hope this sends a message that america is open to people from all walks of life representing the people.

maybe now other people who considered running but werent typical politicians will give it a shot. this is what democracy is about.

Archived