toilets for the inspired

Vanity

Officials in the town of Monaca, about 20 miles (32 kilometres) north-east of Pittsburgh, Pennsylvania, said Tom Suica's unusual display was a health hazard.

Water gathered in the toilet bowls could attract mosquitoes which spread diseases such as the potentially deadly West Nile virus, they argued.

But council members later rescinded their decision after discovering Mr Suica had taped the bowls over to keep water out.

However, Mr Suica, a plumber by trade and himself a Democratic candidate for the council, says the move was politically motivated and possibly an attempt to stop him running for office.

"West Nile? Don't you think that's a little much?" he told Pittsburgh's Tribune-Review newspaper.

'Free speech'

Mr Suica put the toilet seats on his roof three years ago in what he says was a protest against a proposal to build a car park and drive-through bank next to his home.

Plans for the development later fell through and Mr Suica successfully defeated court challenges to his display by claiming it was an expression of free speech.

He regularly decorates them in keeping with seasons and events on the calendar, covering them with hearts on Valentine's Day and mounting antlers on the seats for Christmas.

Now he says defiantly that he will not take the display down for anybody.

"[Not] until I die... I'll never quit. I'm not the type that quits," he said.

"I don't care how much money you have or who you know. I want everybody to have the same rights, and that doesn't happen in Monaca."

Council members have belatedly acknowledged they may have been a little harsh.

"It's not something you want to see when you drive through the main street of town," councillor Tom Ely told local media.

"But if that's what he wants to do and that's what he wants to be known for, that's fine."

This forum is supported by the 12ozProphet Shop, so go buy a shirt and help support!
This forum is brought to you by the 12ozProphet Shop.
This forum is brought to you by the 12oz Shop.

Archived