New Hampshire named the place to live free

KaBar2

San Antonio Express-News, Oct. 2, 2003

Kate McCann--Associated Press

"Libertarian group just dying to take over state."

CONCORD, N.H.---A group of libertarians announced a project Wesnesday to get 20,000 Americans to move here and work to tranform it into a "free state" with fewer laws, smaller government and greater liberty.

New Hampshire, whose motto is "Live Free or Die," beat out the other finalists for the Free State Project. Wyoming was runner-up in balloting conducted by about 5,000 members of the project, vice president Elizabeth McKinstry said.

The 5,000 members already have pledged to move to the selected state, Free State Project organizers said. They hope to increase their numbers to 20,000 within two years and start transforming the state into a national model of liberty.

Some free-staters want to roll back restrictions on gambling, legalize medicinal marijuana and strengthen gun rights. But McKinstry said members also will work for charities and scholarship programs and help citizens get more involved in government.

"We won. That's fantastic," New Hampshire Libertarian Party chairman John Babiarz said of his states' selection. "It's like New Hampshire has won a nationwide popularity contest, based on it's fundamentals."

McKinstry, of Ann Arbor, Mich., said New Hampshire won "because it boasts the lowest state and local tax burden in the continental U.S., the leanest state government in the country, a citizen legislature, a healthy job market, and, perhaps most important, local support for our movement."

Project members also like the New Hampshire Constitution, which reads in part: "Whenever the ends of government are perverted, and public liberty manifestly endangered, and all other means of redress are ineffectual, the people may, and of right ought to reform the old, or establish a new government."

The prospective new neighbors worry some of New Hampshire's 1.2 million residents.

"I like to be left alone by the government. But I need my trash picked up. I need police protection," said Dennis Pizzimenti, a lawyer in Concord.

Kathy Sullivan, state Democratic Party chairwoman, said project members "can best be described as anarchists."

Babiarz, a database consultant, said critics have it wrong: "We're not here to invade or take over. We're here to restore the American dream."

Doug Hillman, 39, said he's looking forward to leaving Graham, Alabama, and moving his wife and children somewhere near Littleton or Lancaster.

Hillman was most impressed with Republican Gov. Craig Benson's attitude toward the project-- "Come on up, we'd love to have you.," he said, last summer.

"That led me to believe that libertarian thought and libertarianism is more accepted in New Hampshire," Hillman said.

This forum is supported by the 12ozProphet Shop, so go buy a shirt and help support!
This forum is brought to you by the 12ozProphet Shop.
This forum is brought to you by the 12oz Shop.

HELL YEAH!

LIVE FREE OR DIE! NO TAXES! LIQUOUR STORES ON ALL THE HIGHWAYS, ESPECIALLY CLOSE TO THE BORDERS SO WE CAN GET ALL THE MASSHOLES! NO HELMET LAWS BIATCH!

Guest BIGMETALCIRCUS

Re: HELL YEAH!

Originally posted by TEARZ

LIVE FREE OR DIE! NO TAXES! LIQUOUR STORES ON ALL THE HIGHWAYS, ESPECIALLY CLOSE TO THE BORDERS SO WE CAN GET ALL THE MASSHOLES! NO HELMET LAWS BIATCH!

yeah and unlike mass. those new hampshire stores are open on sundays!

I too subscribe to the 'Live Free Or Die' motto... also 'Don't Tread On Me'...

but all my relatives have moved to VT so... rah rah rah, whatever the fuck their state motto is too!

*probably something about maple syrup...

hmm sounds interesting. i`m curious to see what kind of people it attracts. punks, militias, anarchists, kkk, the average joe. no beer on sundays? what the hell kind of place is that? shit the US is so screwed. i can drink liquor in open containers on the train, in the street, wherever, and people cant`t buy it on sundays?? stock up.

New Hampshire is already pretty free

Which is one reason the Libertarian Party wants to push it farther towards their ideas. VERMONT ROCKS, even though it has a lot of liberals, it has one of the VERY FEW gun laws in the U.S. that says "Anybody can carry a handgun concealed anytime they want to, anywhere they want to." Very, very few armed robberies in Vermont. The Second Amendment movement in the U.S. aspires to spread "Vermont style carry" all over the country.

• 2 weeks later...

Archived