Career choices.

»§ÜGÅR«

Seeing as how there are intelligent people on the board who are set in their careers or are pursuing a career and have a good idea of what's a good field to get into, i thought i'd ask for some people's opinions on what would be a good major for school.

I know the economy is garbage lately, and that the more years of school you have the better paycheck and job you'll get, but i'd like some straight out ideas from people that sound like a good plan for school. I'm interested in possibly getting into a computer career maybe doing network administrating or some lan work, is that promising? Also psychology is a big interest of mine.

-thanks.

This forum is supported by the 12ozProphet Shop, so go buy a shirt and help support!
This forum is brought to you by the 12ozProphet Shop.
This forum is brought to you by the 12oz Shop.

No way dude, forget about computer anything as a major. All the tech jobs are being outsourced to foreign markets especially india and asia where johnny ricepaddy and sally hindu are more than willing to program a LAN system for pennies. The U.S. economy has, in recent years, become a major service oriented economy.

I'm majoring in communications at an unamed california university. It's a good major because of all the career choices available to me. I'm looking to get into television, journalism, public relations, or i can use the major as a starting point for getting into pre-law.

Best of all, strong communications skills allowsme to convey my points and ideas better as well as being able to skillfully manipulate people with speech.

I wouldn't make too concrete a plan for school, because you seem to be unsure of where you are headed. I don't really see the point in declaring a major if there is a strong possibility you will change it- unless you need to declare one for financial aid or something. If that is the case, you should be a liberal arts major (it roughly translates into "fucked if I know" around here), forget all about it, and then you can modify it at your leisure.

Psychology is interesting? Take the basic psych class they offer at your school. Same for computer courses. Hopefully this will help you distinguish between interests and career choices. I find theoretical physics to be very interesting, but there is no way in hell I would try and make a career out of it- you might find out the same about psychology.

I just re-read your post, and it seems like you are asking more about job markets than school. I can't help you there. I'll go ahead and post this in case any of it is relevant. You are welcome to disregard it if not.

*Edited for spelling errors that have me convinced I'm getting more stupider the longer I go without sleep.

more stupider

<span style='color:black'>It'll be ok.

I just started school and i really dont think that Im ready to go back or even if i want to go back to school. Perhaps its just my professors but I dont understand the whole "Here! This piece of paper tells you what you have to do and when its due by for the semester. Read chapters one through nine and we'll have a test on it."

Fuck you! I can teach myself from home. Your job is worthless. This is bullshit. I love how all my profs answer my questions with obscure football metaphores. Do I look like Joe Football God damnit! What the hell are you talking about? YOU DONT MAKE ANY SENCE!!! I've been staring at this practice test for about 3 days now, it's still in front of me right now, and I can't find any of the answers to it in the book. What the shit is this? I think I just need to drop that one class and then everything will be all good.

I'm sure that didn't help you at all but it did help me. Thank you for your patience.</span>

im doomed careerwise. im in art school and finish in 2 years. im fucked because the only skills i have arnt going to get me a 9 to 5 that pays the rent. granted, i have my work showing in 3 places within the next month, and i know a fair amount about photography. the fact is the peice of paper im coming out of school with isnt going to garantee anything.

see you in the gutter.

See, that's my problem. I'm really only good in art. I've always loved photography, and i'm halfway decent at it, but the things that really count like math or science, i suck at. Computers are ok, but i'm no bill gates or ever going to even be close to that level.

mr yuck, just, do something to your teacher that will bring you great satisfaction.. maybe smear some super glue or epoxy on his chair.

*I think arcel is sad because he can't give an intelligent opinion on career choices or the job market because he has no future other then 12oz and living with mommy and daddy. Way to go CHAMP.*

Guest NoamChomsky

This may not be the route you want to take, but PA(physician assistant) school is good stuff. They're comparable to doctors in many respects except they don't do intricate surgery and a few other things set them apart. A PA can expect to have his choice of jobs when he gets out of school and make 70-150k right off the bat. As opposed to a new doctor who starts out at as little as 35k(of course i know they eventually will surpass PA's, bank wise after a few years). If you earn a specialty like derm or ortho you can make even more. It usually takes about 6 years to finish and it is a masters degree.

Originally posted by »§ÜGÅR«

Seeing as how there are intelligent people on the board who are set in their careers or are pursuing a career and have a good idea of what's a good field to get into, i thought i'd ask for some people's opinions on what would be a good major for school.

I know the economy is garbage lately, and that the more years of school you have the better paycheck and job you'll get, but i'd like some straight out ideas from people that sound like a good plan for school. I'm interested in possibly getting into a computer career maybe doing network administrating or some lan work, is that promising? Also psychology is a big interest of mine.

-thanks.

I know you want us to be serious and all, but i'll pay you to suck my dick. For real.

im seriously interested in a career in media. kilo, are you comfortable telling me about what you do? your job always sounds like fun..

Okay so instead of putting glue everywhere or drop kicking my prof in the face I decided that the best course of action was to withdraw from the class. I have now freed up 2 more days of my life that could be put to use in a much more meaningful manner. Like going to work. I feel like a great weight has been lifted from my shoulders. Booyah.

anthropology is the best major...ever. I love all my classes and have been converted into a huge nerd in the process. Learning about primatolgy, different cultures and archeology is actually more like fun as opposed to work. I'd say just go for whatever realllly interests you and that you can see yourself doing for the rest of your life. However, if your really concerned about making big $ it could complicate things a bit.

I'm an architect. It can be rewarding and interesting, but it's trying to take up all my time and energy. You DONT get to draw all the time that's for sure, and it doesn't pay that good for as far as a professional career goes, and for as long as it takes for school and internships. You CANT be a slacker, you have to be organized, and you should love sitting at a computer for hours on end figuring out the minor details of a building. I don't regret my choice though. I didn't get into it for money, but for love, and this wasn't some half-baked fly by the seat of my pants decision. I have wanted to be an architect since I was in highschool and I've put my heart into it. It's not easy though. Not easy at all, but I guess that's why I like it. So whatever your choice try to make it something you have a passion for.

Guest imported_Tesseract

Thats the reason there are so many miserable people around, kids tend to pick their carreer based on how the markets is (markets change very often) rather than stickin to what they like because its so unpromising.

The number one rule for a successfull carrer is to be good in what you do, in order to be good you must work very hard, and in order to work very hard you must draw somekind of pleasure from the damn thing.

I know kids that make crazy money, doing the most unpromising and unheard stuff...one of them is a hawk-instructor (works with the army and archelogical sites) another one is a climber.

People are going to pick you for being good...its better to make the best

burger in your city than being a mediocre tech-dude...

Having said that, stick to what you're best at.

like Lens said...forget computer anything. people are being laid off in the thousands and everything is being outsourced to India.

Service industries are going to be huge. Medical...think doctors, nurses, dentists, etc. ...you can't outsource your patients. Banks are another good one. Believe me...the US isn't about to outsource their money.

do online searches and see if the job sounds interesting, pays well or acceptable and whether or not the forecast looks good.

If you're only half way good at Photography...I'd skip that as well. Art based fields are extremely difficult and cutthroat. There are lots of talented people out there...and because we love what we do for a living...a lot of people are willing to take less pay...just so they can keep on keeping on.

Archived