The big C

Guest imported_Tesseract

Guest imported_Tesseract

Lets see, i've lost 3 people from my family due to cancer (RIP)

The people i know that had it are countless...only 5 managed to get over it. I smoke two packs a day, eat shit for years, play with dangerous stuff like paint and the chemicals we all love, dont use sunblock lotion in one of the most shiny countries in the world...

Ladies and Gentlemen i give my self a 80% that eventually i'll get it. Whats even more funny is that there is not a single statistical fact that would guarantee my health even if i was taking more care of my self.

I only hope that they'll cure that shit eventually.

This forum is supported by the 12ozProphet Shop, so go buy a shirt and help support!
This forum is brought to you by the 12ozProphet Shop.
This forum is brought to you by the 12oz Shop.

^ but I bet swif smokes methols. :crazy:

I think 'driving fast' was a brilliant metaphor.

There's no question that this life in the fast lane shit

will be the end of me long before cancer can take hold.

My grandpa died of cancer of the liver. I figure I'll just

have a total liver failure before cancer could even take hold.

:dazed:

dude, if we ever hook up, i'm gonna have to

talk to you from a tennis court distance..2 pakcsz

a day?

my grandma died from cancer when i was really

young, i can still remember how her face slowly

became skull-ish and the jars of blood in the

bathroom that she had hacked up. fuck cancer.

Guest WebsterUno
Originally posted by BROWNer

my grandma just passed away a few

months ago from cancer. I had to see her

get that way too. She look like a skeleton

with skin. Man, the worst part was her last

2 days..she was spaced out and unable to

speak to me. Fuck cancer.

I wear sunblock on my face. I have tried to eat healthy. I do sometimes. But the jambalaya at california pizza kitchen is too good. so is an arnold palmer with 10 packets of sugar. And so is the banana caramel crunch at coldstone's. I use to run and shit but not lately. Cancer is gay. everything is a cause of cancer isnt it. oy. yes people in my fam have cancer. My dad smokes like a damn chimney and he had soemthing in his pancreas and had to get surgery. anyway you people should get checkups. at least if you have it you will know before it gets too bad. I had a checkup last week. just a routine. and well they took some blood. I was scared they were gonna say oh youre gonna die etc. because doctors are assholes liek that.

Guest imported_Tesseract

a day?

walkie talkie

Whether cancer or the driving wins(most likely the driving).. doesn't matter to me. I got it coming eventually.. at least I can honestly say I'm enjoying my time.

Live it up, guys.. You only get one chance.

i am a lucky individual, for all my years, more than most on here, i have never had to deal with death of someone close to me, i know one family member with cancer, but he's my uncle not from my side of the family, i am more worried about heart disease, i had an uncle form my side die of a heart attack but i didn't really know him, plus my dad and sister have high cholesterol, and my dad had some weird heart condition where he has to de-fibulate every once in a while (scary) - but so far i am a-ok and i used to eat the worst of us.. probably still do, jsut much healtier than before..... sorry for you losses.

driving or riding too fast might get me but i don't think i'll get cancer. of course i could increase the chances of not getting cancer by stop smoking, one of the hardest things for me to do thus far. i eat good and workout on the reg, i should be good. i hope so at least.

be strong.

everyone is born with cancer genes.

cancer is 'nature's way' of selecting out..

if you live long enough, you will get cancer.

(i've heard this from a variety of doctors and professors)

everyone's body is equipped with oncogenes.

they get turned on by accident, by natural/environemental causes/increased susceptibility, or sometimes by viruses and other stuff..there are obviously other ways to get cancer..but everyone is has a built in susceptibility system, beyond carcinogens..

learn more....

http://www.ndsu.nodak.edu/instruct/mcclean...e/cellcycl7.htm

http://www.cancerhelp.org.uk/help/default.asp?page=97

Doctors and scientists now know that each cancer starts with one cell. Usually many years before you can feel a lump, or a doctor can see it on a scan, that cell has started to reproduce itself uncontrollably.

You can see from the differences between normal cells and cancer cells that the cancer cell seems to have lost a number of vital control systems. What has happened is that some of the genes in the cell have been damaged or lost. Scientists call this 'mutation'.

Genes and mutation

Genes are coded messages inside a cell that tell it how to behave. The genes are codes that tell the cell how to make many different proteins. One gene 'codes' for one protein.

Proteins are the building blocks that make up a cell. Some proteins act as 'on/off' switches that help to control how a cell behaves. For example, a hormone signal acts on a protein in or on the cell. The protein then sends a signal down a chain of switches. The final signal tells the cell to reproduce by dividing into two.

Mutation means a gene has been damaged or lost. A mutation may mean that too much protein is made. Or that a protein is not made at all.

For example, a signalling protein may be permanently switched on. Other proteins, whose job is to control and limit cell division, may be permanently switched off.

Something that damages a cell and makes it more likely to be cancerous is called a 'carcinogen'. There are carcinogens in cigarette smoke for example. There is more about this in the section Causes and Cancer in CancerHelp UK.

Which genes are abnormal in cancer?

There are three different types of genes that are important in making a cell cancerous

* Genes that encourage the cell to multiply

* Genes that stop the cell multiplying

* Genes that repair the other damaged genes

Oncogenes

Some genes encourage the cell to multiply or 'double'. Normally, this would not happen very often in most cells in adults. Many cells would only multiply to repair damage, for example after a wound or operation. If these genes become abnormal, they tell the cell to multiply all the time. Scientists call these genes oncogenes. This really means 'cancer genes'.

Tumour suppressor genes

Some genes are in the cell specifically to stop the cell multiplying or doubling. They act as the brake to the oncogene's accelerator. If one of these 'tumour suppressor genes' becomes damaged and stops working, then the cell may carry on and on multiplying. In other words it becomes immortal, which is one of the properties of a cancer cell. The best known tumour suppressor gene is called p53. This gene normally stops cells with other damaged genes from reproducing and encourages them to commit suicide (apoptosis). p53 is damaged or missing in most human cancers.

Genes that repair other damaged genes

These genes normally repair any damage to the DNA that the cell's genes are made of. If these genes are damaged, then other mutations are not repaired and the cell can reproduce the mutations in its daughter cells. These genes have been found to be damaged in some human cancers, including colon (large bowel) cancer.

How do mutations happen?

Mutations can happen by chance when a cell is reproducing. It is not easy for a normal cell to turn into a cancer cell. There have to be about half a dozen different mutations before this happens. Cells often self destruct if they carry a mutation. Or they might be recognised by the immune system as abnormal and killed. This means most pre-cancerous cells die before they can cause disease. Only a few turn into a cancer. See The Immune System.

It can take a long time before enough mutations happen for a cell to become cancerous. This is why many cancers are more common in older people. There has been more time to be exposed to carcinogens. And more time for accidents when cells reproduce.

Some people are said to have a 'genetic predisposition' to a type of cancer. This means they are more likely to develop that type of cancer than most people because they have been born with one of the mutations that makes a cell cancerous. They do not actually have the cancer because more than one mutation is necessary. But they are naturally further along the road towards getting cancer than people without that mutation.

a day?

hahahah! yes... I always wrote on my stickers the following words:

"I am the Cancer of Society". I am so funny and clever. applaude me please. shit.. cancer sucks.

i'm going out with heart disease i'm sure.

my dad's had 2 heart attacks, and bypass surgery, his dad died of a heart attack, all of my aunts and uncles (4 of em) have had bypass surgery or heart disease of some sort.

if it's not that then it will be cancer, my mom had it already and my grandma just died because of it.

eewwwww!