Diet and Nutrition Superthread

Guest Ginger Bread Man

This forum is supported by the 12ozProphet Shop, so go buy a shirt and help support!
This forum is brought to you by the 12ozProphet Shop.
This forum is brought to you by the 12oz Shop.
  • Replies 94
  • Created
  • Last Reply
Originally posted by Santa Claus

i guess itd be relevant to post that ive lost 30 pounds so far on atkins. i started september 21st, did it hardcore for another month and a half and lost around 20-23 pounds, was off it pretty much completely for the last month or so(is my calendar math making sense???) and i still ended up losing those last 7-10 pounds. im back on it now...i think the main reason i ended up stopping for so long was due to:

beer and mixed drinks

the munchies

jack in the box

red robin

working at a pizza place.

hard temptations, and after i lost all that weight so early on i was like, "eh, fuck it, i'll reward myself." and i'll probably do that again in another 2 months.

cant wait.

May I ask what exactly it was that you ate? I've tried going on it, but only lasted like a week due to boredom and not really knowing what to/ not to eat. Also, did you do a lot of exercise?

Do you have to eat no carbs all the time? My problem was "hey, I haven't eaten carbs in two days, this bread sandwich won't hurt me"....

30 pounds in 3 months is pretty damn good.....

Originally posted by cheifblame

when excersizing daily make sure not to skip a day no matter what ALWAYS stick to your routine....ALWAYS

skipping a day becomes skipping two days, then you make excuses for why you cant do it this week...

Man, this is so true....I said I wasn't going running today, I'll go tomorrow. This was about 2 weeks ago :innocent:

Originally posted by Santa Claus

eh, its not really that simply put though....as far as its effects for bodybuilders, no, it wont be good. but of course not...that type of physical strain requires a MUCH more balanced diet for your lifting to be most effective. i sure as fuck havent LOST any muscle mass, thats for sure. and consistent exercise wont be affected by atkins, because if your body has switched to burning fat, you have anendless supply of fuel. rather than burning off the carbs first, and then burning fat, youre just burning fat. there are lots of marathon runners on atkins who do quite well.

the only reason its aimed more towards older folks is because thats where the majority of at risk overweight people are. the only way the diet affects yr cholesterol is by lowering it. i havent had a chance to go to the doctor(no med. insurance) but my mom, whos also doing atkins, is in the best health shes been in since she can remember, and the doctors visits have proven it.

atkins isnt for everyone, but for overweight people needing to lose weight in an effective and healthy way....it works. and its proven to work thousands of times over. theres a reason you hear about it more and more these days. i dont know much about the CKD diet, but im sure it too will work for some and not work for others. every body is different...they should be treated that way.

nice try, but no...first off, the atkins diet will deplete SOME muscle. especially muscle put on by lifting, not natural muscle. so either you havent gained that much if you are working out, or your body is a medical marvel and you should be on tv. second, my reply was geared towards bodybuilders, not marathon runners. last time i checked a runners goals were not to gain mass, but to increase endurance. someone who is trying to run a 4 minute mile has completely different goals than someone trying to put on 20lbs. , so yes, it probably did work for them. second, atkins has been proven to raise cholesterol. not in everyone, but in a good bit of people. just say the word and i will post a link to the stats. CKD is a modified version of Atkins, geared towards athletes. so if the atkins diet works for say, runners, then CKD will probably work even better. and Atkins might be effective, but it is not really a "healthy" way to lose weight. ask any nutritionist. it wont kill you, but it is far from healthy.

not to sound like a jerk, but...

type R / certified personal trainer and dietician.

Archived