beardo's dreamweaver help thread

Guest beardo

i got a book, but am lacking the attention span to really learn anything. i've fumbled my way through enough that i think i can make the thing work, its the little details i cant quite iron out.

1st off, how do i make a text hyperlink without that goddamn underline

thanks in advance,

sleepless in seattle

This forum is supported by the 12ozProphet Shop, so go buy a shirt and help support!
This forum is brought to you by the 12ozProphet Shop.
This forum is brought to you by the 12oz Shop.

hmm.. ive tried the style sheet thing, but only for the effected text and it still had the underline. is there somewhere to tell it specifically to NOT have an underline, cus i didnt see that, just left the underline option unselected.

ill give it a shot for the whole page i guess

prolly a style sheet is the way to go. find a page that has a style sheet

properly executed and then copy that. you could also try to add a

behavior to the text (from the behavior palette), and try to control it that way...

i dunno, besides emailing the page to someone on here who knows

how to do it, and then having them do it for you, so you know how

to do it in the future!

y

Dreamweaver allows you to look at what your

making in 3 ways; 1. the layout view ( what it

should look like on the web),2. the code view (

what the actual markup 'html' looks like), 3. you

can split the work windo and see both.

Chances are your working only in layout view. At

the top of your work widow are 3 buttons, click

the split view to see the code 'html'.

looks like this:

<!DOCTYPE HTML PUBLIC "-//W3C//DTD HTML 4.01 Transitional//EN">

<html>

<head>

<title>Untitled Document</title>

<meta http-equiv="Content-Type" content="text/html; charset=iso-8859-1">

<span style='color:#3c3c3c'>

<style type="text/css">

A:active {text-decoration:none }

A:visited {text-decoration:none }

A:hover {text-decoration:none }

A:link {text-decoration:none }

</style>

</span>

</head>

<body>

</body>

</html>

ez as pie.

i was actually rather dissappointed w/ this album... after hear l'roneous' first album, i was reallly anticipating it. elusive hooked him up w/ some great beats, and even the tracks elusive rapped on were fresh (see regiments) in a thuggier-than-L kinda way.. i haven't heard the project he did w/ acey, but dreamweavers was kinda jiggy for me and the grouch is way out of place on it.

Originally posted by beardo

next item to tackle is making an image open in another frame. but i'll hit the books on that before begging for assistance.

Did you mean open a image up in a new window? You can do that a bunch of different ways. The most common is to give it a "target=_blank". Or you can use a javascript similar to one on this page: http://www.angryblue.com/gallery_posterart.shtml.

My best advice to you is to LEARN CODE. Don't let dreamweaver do everything for you. HTML is the easist program language to grasp. Once you get a good understanding you can view the source on all your favorite sites and figure out how they did it.

Once you learn styles you will kick yourself for not using them on your previous sites.

Learn how to use iframes, but don't over do it.

check out www.webmonkey.com when your in a bind

It shouldn't be hard to find how to do that in your book. I used Dreamweaver for a couple of years before I learned HTML. I actually still use Dreamweaver for most things, but knowing HTML makes it really easy for me to fix things and make adjustments to the code. Plus if I'm using frames I never use Dreamweaver for the frameset. That's just a pain in the ass.

im only going with top and bottom frames. click a thing at the top... list of image links coms up at the bottom. nothing complex or spectacular. all the images open 'self'

im open to all suggestions, i like what im hearing so far

<html>

<head>

<title>Untitled Document</title>

<meta http-equiv="Content-Type" content="text/html; charset=iso-8859-1">

</head>

<span style='color:darkblue'><frameset rows="80,*" frameborder="NO" border="0" framespacing="0"></span>

<frame src="topHtmlDoc.html" <span style='color:darkblue'>name="topFrame" </span>scrolling="NO" noresize >

<frame src="bottomhtmlDoc.html" <span style='color:darkblue'>name="mainFrame"</span>>

</frameset>

<noframes><body>

</body></noframes>

</html>

the links in the "tophtmlDoc.html" document will look like this:

target="mainFrame"</span>>click me

hit my email if you need more help man fer reallia

Oner,

Frames arent as terrible as many people claim. But they do have some issues, for example, if you use them in a site that has more than one page of information and somebdy tries to bookmark your site, the frame causes them to only be able to bookmark the page the frame is on. Another problem is browser compatibility. Frames can get a little tricky in different browsers. There are other reasons, if you do a search on the subject you will come up with many more.

Originally posted by beardo

i got a book, but am lacking the attention span to really learn anything. i've fumbled my way through enough that i think i can make the thing work, its the little details i cant quite iron out.

1st off, how do i make a text hyperlink without that goddamn underline

thanks in advance,

sleepless in seattle

you know a lot don't you sport... but you don't know shit about being sleepless in seattle. you are a super guy and a super artist. that is all. I wish you were on aim more often, fuckhead!

Originally posted by oner

Just out of curiousity, why are so many people against frames? My teachers always say that it's bad design to use them. I don't use them often, but sometimes it's the easiest way to get the desired result.

because you can't bookmark pages with frames since the content always shows within a frame subset. rather, you only bookmark the page that holds the frames, rather than the actual content.

Originally posted by ciste

Oner,

Frames arent as terrible as many people claim. But they do have some issues, for example, if you use them in a site that has more than one page of information and somebdy tries to bookmark your site, the frame causes them to only be able to bookmark the page the frame is on. Another problem is browser compatibility. Frames can get a little tricky in different browsers. There are other reasons, if you do a search on the subject you will come up with many more.

frames are standards compliant and have been for many years. if a browser can't display frames, it'll choke on most of the internet including java, flash, css, and half the html spec. i wouldn't sweat this point since it probably accounts for sucha small percentage of people to be rendered a moot point.