LiNux - OS of the future + is now = >///

Dirty_habiT

This forum is supported by the 12ozProphet Shop, so go buy a shirt and help support!
This forum is brought to you by the 12ozProphet Shop.
This forum is brought to you by the 12oz Shop.

dirty, i told you, i have the discs....i am currently running xp, with no partition. is it worth making that big change? answer my questions, seriously, dhabz...

dirty, ok, i've got an ati radeon 7500..i'm sure it will work, but i've also got a cable modem, and i don't know exactly how to config those in linux...i mean, is the gui that intuitive? will i have to wander the net endlessly finding texts? i'll change as long as i can use 3dsm and photoshop on linux without knowing code of some sort or having to repack anythign...lemme know your serious opinion, and please answer those questions for me..

there they are again.

Originally posted by Dirty_habiT

fuck macintosh's proprietary hardware.... what're you gonna say to that? Lindows looks nice to the eye, but I'm almost sure it lacks the functionality of a full linux install. Anyhow, linux rules, you wouldn't be using most of the websites you frequent without it.

What hardware isn't proprietary? Apple just happens to make their own mobo and case, as well as help design their own processors leading to a machine that has required virtually no hardware configuration for the last decade.

Apple at least bases or registers most their new technology on open standards - IEEE 1394, IEEE 1394B, 80211B, 80211G, tcp/ip, as well as releases the source code to everything significant except their GUI - Darwin, Quicktime, Rendezvous, Safari (KHTML), etc.

This is in stark contrast to the Windows OS, Windows Media Player, Internet Explorer, and does MS even happen to have an auto sensing, zero configuration wireless networking protocol of their own? Oh lest we forget the non- open standards Universal Serial Bus 1.1 and USB 2.0 that somehow made into every PC yet skipped registering with the Institute of Electrical and Electronics Engineers so that it could be cultivated as an open standard, or the fact that USB 2.0 barely has the IO throughput to hang with Firewire (IEEE 1394), and gets trounced by the 800mbps of Firewire 2 (IEEE 1394B).

Oh yeah, when was Long Horn (MS's 64bit OS) due again? Was it 2004, 2005, or the recently announced 2006?

-------

Full Linux install is overkill. The installer in most Distro's allows for a full install of every available package, but only a newbie would select it, or someone not concerned with the security risk of running every service available on that platform. I haven't tinkered with Lindows yet, but considering their target customer is the clueless Walmart shoppers looking for a sub $400 pc, I've read that preinstalled default Lindows package is actually well suited for this type of user. It even hides all the kernal information and boot messages behind a pretty little start up screen upon boot up.

linux is an opensource operating system, which means the code that makes it work is free for anyone to use and modify. which means..... that there are thousands of nerds working on all different aspects of the operating system and it's software everyday.... instead of a few billysoft or stevejobs nerds coding fixes and etc just to make the system run.

linux is not for the faint of heart, and there's no easy way to do it, you kinda just gotta download it and install it on a free computer to try it, head first.

umm, Mac OSX has a FreeBSD (UNIX) core, and is released under the GPL agreement as opensourced in a project known officially as Darwin. Only the Aqua interface is kept under wraps and that's not required to run the OS.

Originally posted by casekonly

dirty, ok, i've got an ati radeon 7500..i'm sure it will work, but i've also got a cable modem, and i don't know exactly how to config those in linux...i mean, is the gui that intuitive? will i have to wander the net endlessly finding texts? i'll change as long as i can use 3dsm and photoshop on linux without knowing code of some sort or having to repack anythign...lemme know your serious opinion, and please answer those questions for me..

assuming your cable modem is running a standard protocol like PPPoE, and your graphics card is on the official list of supported hardware by whoever released the distro your running, it'll auto configure. If not, a little patience and a couple of hours with http://www.google.com and I'm sure it'll work.

altered beast.

Oh and Casek, just find another HD laying around or go buy one. You wouldn't want to lose all your windows stuff... ya know just in case linux isn't for you. And yes, the RH9 gui is very good, I suggest going with the KDE desktop... but that's just me.

If you buy a new HD, go with ATA even if you have a SCSI controller. Kudzu (the software that auto detects new hardware in RedHat) can auto detect anything on an ATA bus, but SCSI has to be configured manually using drivers since most controllers aren't recognized, let alone configured, during install.

Originally posted by casekonly

Raven and dhabz, thanks for the info...Raven lit it up with his commentary on macs.....i'll find a 2 gig HD on ebay and give RH9 a try...

many thanks, again.

hey, Raven, you may not mess wiht this kind of stuff, but, what about 3d rendering software for linux????

waste of time.

they have some stuff for irix, and i believe renderman runs on sun, but your best bet is running maya off a mac or pc.