enough with the hippies already!

RumPuncher

This forum is supported by the 12ozProphet Shop, so go buy a shirt and help support!
This forum is brought to you by the 12ozProphet Shop.
This forum is brought to you by the 12oz Shop.
  • Replies 70
  • Created
  • Last Reply

i actually had a good experience with hippys...i went out to see my boy upstate ny and they had some kind of hippy fest n my boy kept tellin me lets go we gonna get fucked up i promise so he finally got me to go...and it was sick all the hippys had maad drugs but they didnt want to sell them cuz they would think ur a cop or some shit if u tryed to buy wit money...so they would give u a tab of acid or big bag of trees for like a pretty walk , or a shoe lace or a blanket or some shit...i walked out there wit no shoe laces or belt but i was buggin the fuck out n sum good ass acid wit 2 big bags of trees to go smoke out....it was ill....

Originally posted by iced_tea

tough guy floor punchers:

dude fuck those guys (and hippies, me from boulder, gots TOOOO MANY OF THEM!!!)

floor puncher guy:ERRG THIS SONG WROCKS!!!! I HAVE TO PUNCH THE FLOOR TO SHOW ALL THESE KIDS IM TOUGH!!!!(punches floor till fist is blue)

floor puncher guy: LOOK AT THAT ERRRG IM A BAD ASS!! GONNA GO SEE HATEBREED!!! LOOK AT MY BLUE FIST!

normal guy:....................shut up..

floor puncher guy: EERRRG!

:lol: :lol:

Originally posted by Vanity

zest, c'mon man, one night stand =slut... i don't think you're as bad as steve, but you know....

i bet you poked ube, didn't ya? :D

ah ha-ha...I started laughing when you got called out...then I kept reading....and shut up. I'm not that bad...at least lately.

BTW...I don't know you...or do I?

edit:

perveract. fucking awesome. ranks right up there with the 20 stone yob.

btw...nice...uh catch.

Q What`s orange and looks good on a hippy?

A Fire

Q How do you know if a hippy has been in your house?

A He`s still there.

Q What do you call a hippy whose girlfriend broke up with him?

A Homeless.

Q What`s the difference between a hippy and an onion.

A Nobody cries when you cut a hippy.

Q How many hippies does it take to screw in a lightbulb?

A None. Hippies don`t screw in lightbulbs, they screw in filthy VW vans.

GYEAH.

between my cousin and my girl ... i have started to like Phish. which is scary ... but they are talented and i like trippy shit. my girl is a hippie, my cousin somehow got into the music ... but he hates hippies. he was following phish for a few shows and asked me to make a shrit for him .. never did it but it would make me lauch my ass off if i saw it. it was going to be the Zest soap logo but have it say "soap dodger" god that would be classic !!

if your that bothered about the shop, move!

seriously it cant be that bad kilo, i mean im sure the bars only a short walk away so youll always be able to drown the sorrows (or drown the hippies)

Originally posted by LENS

Vegan girls have about as much sexuality as a styrofoam cooler.

Haha! This thread is funny. I’ve vocalized my opinion on hippies to you many times, Kilo. I’d go on a rant right now, but then I’d get all riled up, and theres way too many things that have me stressed lately.

Fuck 2 face hippies, though. I like your leather couch story. You know what’s good, too? Cars and buses are run on fossil fuels. Animal by-product, no?

Oh, and that statement by lens I quoted above – judging by past strictly by my own experience, I’d say it just might be true.

I hate starfish fucks like I hate beards that look like pubic hair and hippieocrytes that work at starbucks and big up their “fair-trade” policy.

!@#$%'s hippie jokes had me rolling....

i can understand the occasional thing, but getting infuriated by certain "types" of people, especially ones as benign as hippies, should really be donewith by your early 20s... unless we're talking about conservatives... or mormons... or.... :)

You guys kill me

I guess everybody gets to hate somebody, eh? From what I can tell, this board and pretty much every idea (or pretty close to every idea) I've ever seen expressed here is a direct descendant of the hippie movement of the late-'60s/ early-'70s.

Speaking in a very general sense, the hippie movement embraced:

1.) "Free Love"--sex without rigid marriage and monogamy. This was the forerunner of ALL of the sexual liberation movements, including the wide acceptance of people "co-habiting" without marrying, acceptance of "single-parent families," "women's liberation," "gay liberation," "polyamory" relationships. In 1964, only about 6% of white children were ever born "out of wedlock," and only about 20% or so of black kids. TODAY, it's a solid 25% of white kids and an astounding (to me) SEVENTY-EIGHT PER CENT of black children born to mothers who are not married. In 1964, everybody got married. Young. And they were supposed to STAY married--"no sex before marriage" was the norm, even in college. If an unmarried girl got pregnant, it was a terrible shame and a disaster--girls in this situation sometimes killed themselves. Abortion was almost unheard of, and usually only available in foreign countries, California or New York. (Mexican border cities typically had a large number of gynecological clinics.)

The "hippies" changed all that.

2.) "All-Volunteer Army." There was a UNIVERSAL military draft until close to the end of the Vietnam War (1972.) EVERYBODY either enlisted, or got drafted, or sweated out a student deferment, hoping that they would not get called up to military service before they could finish post-graduate studies. If a college kid attending junior college got a 2-year degree, he became instantly 1-A. If an 18-year-old boy flunked his senior year in high school--instantly 1-A, and straight to the Army infantry for two years. The hippies contributed a lot to the general anti-militarist, anti-war culture of the 1960's, and along with pissed-off college kids, formed the backbone of the anti-war movement that resulted in an All-Volunteer Army. So if you are glad you aren't getting scooped up and forced into the Army, thank the hippies. Believe me, we Republicans think you owe your country three years of military service, LOL. ("Good mooornning, IRAQ!")

3.) "Wide acceptance of alternative music, art, dance, etc. on public broadcast radio, TV and in the movies." This did not exist before the hippies. The beatniks were too introspective to make much headway outside of the New York/ San Francisco arena. Poerty, yeah. Popular music, no. Regular broadcast music was incredibly boring, and just about the only place you could find interesting modern music was on college-campus FM student stations and black late-night programs. Rock and roll was easy to find, but the only groups that got played until the late '60s were groups that could pass the smell test with the VERY conservative, mainstream program directors at radio stations. BOR-ing. Think "Guy Lombardo" and Muzak. Hippies changed all that. Have you ever watched really old movies on the Nostalgia Channel? That was regular TV and movies. Mostly, they sucked.

4.) "Cultural/Racial Tolerance." Shit, this barely exists now. The hippies were helping to some degree in the Civil Rights struggle of minority people, in integration of schools, in acceptance of inter-racial dating & marriage, and generally, in the idea that each person should be accepted for who s/he is, and not judged on race, religion, nationality, etc. The hippie movement was mostly white, but it crossed all racial and cultural boundaries. Here in Texas, there were "cowboy" hippies, black hippies, Latino hippies, etc. In 1969, I had long hair and wore a cowboy hat, boot-cut jeans and Tony Lama boots. "Southern Rock," like the Allman Brothers, .38 Special, Alabama, etc.--all from the hippie movement. Heavy Metal Rock was hippie music taken to it's logical conclusion. Steppenwolf, in my opinion, was the first "heavy metal" band.

5.) Modern motorcycle clubs-- the Hell's Angels, Bandidos, Moguls, Satan's Slaves, Coffin Cheaters, etc. are all a result of the blending of the old-style greaseball, ducktail haircut, black-leather-jacket motorcycle clubs of the 1950's, and the long-haired LSD movement. Read Ken Kesey's "Electric Kool-Aid Acid Test." He talks about how the Merry Pranksters turned on the Hell's Angels to LSD for the first time, opening the doors to the whole "modern biker" era, Easyrider's Magazine, "yuppie" Harley riders, etc. None of this would have occurred without the hippies. Today, bikers are considered very American. In 1964, when they threw a party, the local authorities called the National Guard. Today's bikers are a major money-maker in Sturgis, N.D. In 1964, the local Sheriff would have arrested everybody in sight. Bikers were DANGEROUS CRIMINALS. Today, they are "symbolic of the free American spirit." Thank you, Ken Kesey.

6.)"Recreational drugs." We have a national problem with recreational drug use. I am opposed to people using drugs. However, before the hippie movement, very, very few people smoked marijuana, and never mind any other kinds of drugs. Not every contribution they made was a positive one.

7.) "Ecology movement." I attended the very first Earth Day celebration held in Houston, Texas, and all over the U.S. and in some foreign countries. It didn't even make the newspaper, but we partied on "the Hill" in Houston's Hermann Park all day, flying kites, playing music, putting up big rainbow banners and signs that said things like "You only get one planet---don't fuck it up!---God " Today, Earth Day is world wide, and the movement to conserve and protect the natural environment is very powerful. NOT SO in 1970. "Environmentalist" is a word everybody recognizes. Back in the day, it was "ecologist." Nobody wants the earth to be ruined, but also, nobody wants to give up all their luxuries like cars and toys and expensive lifestyle. The U.S. and western Europe use about 75% of the world's energy. And our lifestyle produces about 75% of the world's pollution, too. Do you care about the environment? Thank the hippies. In 1964, "environmentalists" could be counted in the hundreds, world-wide. Today, in the hundreds of millions.

Graffitti, along with just about everything else in the "youth culture" springs from a long history, but it definately came down through the political slogan graffiiti of the 1960's and unsanctioned public art graff of the late '70s. Graffitti goes back to the cave men days, but it was not too popular before the hippie movement and the anti-war movements of the '60s and '70s.

Don't like hippies? Be my guest. But you ought to recognize that just as one musical style is built on another, one cultural tendency is also built on another. You hip-hop guys need to go listen to BOB DYLAN'S "Subterranean Homesick Blues." Pure rap. Circa 1965. And also--"pure hippie."

• 1 month later...

I used to go to a lot of 'hippie' shows, theres a lot of talented musicians playin' that shit, but for me it was always about the drugs... I loved my drugs, now they're like a childhood friend, don't have much in common with them anymore but I still say what up when they pass my way... I guess I went from bands like Phish into some contemporary jazz musicians, and the old school heads of course... a little funk here and there, now its hip hop... just my .005 on that shit

Archived