New Yorkers...please help

indianarail

Im taking my first trip to NYC shortly...and im supposed to be staying with a friend on abuot 156th St. and Broadway...which is in Harlem from what i understand... now i admit all i know of new york is hearsay and from television and movies...so what i know or think i know is only assumptions..but i need to know....are our chances of encountering trouble walking from the station to our friends place greater in that area?? being that we're both caucasian?? (our plane gets in late at night new york time) ...now i hate to think like that...but i am realistic and realize there are some places we dont belong...any help is great..

many thanks

This forum is supported by the 12ozProphet Shop, so go buy a shirt and help support!
This forum is brought to you by the 12ozProphet Shop.
This forum is brought to you by the 12oz Shop.

just use the same comon sense use in all shituations man. keep your doe in your pocket. Head str8 to your man apt and itsa all good. people in harlem have seen white folks before so its not like they are just sitting waiting for some stray whitie to fall into their webs.

maybe refrain from dropping the "N" bomb and it ahould be all good.

What's the address and tell me when your gonna be there... I'll be your "protection".

Seriously though, has your boy ever been fucked with since he was white? He moved there for the cheap rent. Just follow Mr. LaJock's directions and don't look paranoid (easy target).

If your on the west side, the dominicans will just try to offer you pericho.

Originally posted by indianarail

Im taking my first trip to NYC shortly...and im supposed to be staying with a friend on abuot 156th St. and Broadway...which is in Harlem from what i understand... now i admit all i know of new york is hearsay and from television and movies...so what i know or think i know is only assumptions..but i need to know....are our chances of encountering trouble walking from the station to our friends place greater in that area?? being that we're both caucasian?? (our plane gets in late at night new york time) ...now i hate to think like that...but i am realistic and realize there are some places we dont belong...any help is great..

many thanks

DONT EVEN WORRY ABOUT IT. USE COMMON SENSE STREET SMARTS LIKE YOU WOULD IN ANY OTHER LOCATION ON EARTH.

Do NOT Carry Large Sums of Money

Do NOT wear EXPENSIVE FLASHY Clothing

Do NOT look out of place (don't look like a tourist.)

Look both ways before crossing the street and don't take candy from strangers.

i'm from a very dangerous city (much worse than nyc)

new york will treat you well, i see it as a fairly low-key, laid back, and generally safe place.

in manhattan, there is basically nowhere you could go where you'd get fucked up just for being there and being white (there's few places like this at all in nyc, and you'd have to look hard to find them..you won't 'find' yourself suddenly in a shit neighborhood where you're in trouble)

confidence can also be key.

in a big city, people can sense fear and weakness.

just look like you know what you're doing (even if you don't)

you'll be fine anyway..

as long as you aren't counting $$ on the street...

new york is pretty fuckin chill

Re: Re: New Yorkers...please help

Originally posted by metallix

Do NOT look out of place (don't look like a tourist.)

that could be hard when first arriving with suitcases and shit...

don't sweat it.. when i first went to nyc i was going to brooklyn at like 10 and got off at the wrong station, carrying suitcase and backback.. i had to walk for a while, at first i was a bit nervous..but its no thang. just know whats going on around you.

Guest HESHIANDET
Originally posted by !@#$%

in manhattan, there is basically nowhere you could go where you'd get fucked up just for being there and being white (there's few places like this at all in nyc, and you'd have to look hard to find them..you won't 'find' yourself suddenly in a shit neighborhood where you're in trouble)

fucking asenine

before i went to nyc i looked over the maps to get an understand of where i would be going

walking around with baggage and taking a map out wih a dubious appearance is not such a good idea

just be aware of where your going and how to get there..

why cant your friend just meet you up?

Originally posted by HESHIANDET

fucking asenine

yeah, what do i know.

lol

on the island of manhattan, no one is getting their ass beat for being white...no matter what hesh says

maybe whiteboys who think they are something they aren't have run into problems.

but shit, anyone who cannot spell asinine, but wants to use that word to describe a comment, is an idiot.

baltimore is a dangerous and scary place.

manhattan is not.

in manhattan south in 2003, there were 23 murders and 1,600 felony assaults. over the whole entire year.

manhattan north in 2003, 60 murders and 2600 felony assaults.

http://www.nyc.gov/html/nypd/html/pct/cspdf.html

not bad for 2.5 MILLION people

for comparison:

in baltimore 2001 there were 256 murders and 8500 aggravated assaults

http://baltimore.areaconnect.com/crime1.htm

and this, sadly, is for 650,000 people (less than ONE QUARTER of manhattan's)

if u arent lieing bro i suggest u take a cab...harlem isnt candy land exspecially the higher u get up in numbers....but i think broadway runs by central park n if it does then u might be ok cuz when u get closer to central park its not bad its mad yuppy...but if u r goin into harlem u will have problems bieng white...there is like 10 to 12 maybe 20 big black dudes standin on each n every corner after like 11 at night...u will have problems take a cab if ur worried.....if not carry a gun on u or something so niggaz no u aint playin...

No Problem.. first off .. 156th and Broadway is Washington Heights ,not Harlem .. And the mix of people divided from ten is about 6 Dominican, 2 black ,1 white and 1 other .. you will be camped out two blocks from a wonderful view of New Jersey and the Hudson River , George Washington Bridge west. And appx ten blocks to your East you will be a bridges walk from Yankee Stadium. The neighborhood is pretty fair during the day aside the witnessing of a few narcotic sales.. No worry the days of turf wars are over , there will be no stray bullets to dodge. Most of your neigbors will attempt to peddle you extasy pills and Half ass Hydroponic Marijuana . There is a train station on 157th and Broadway (1 line) and two blocks up the hill East is the D & A line that will both sweep you into midtown manhattan within ten to fifteen minutes ..

The thickness of police presence is bananas ,so you wont have to be worried about being mugged, there is enough money floating around up there from other activities ! ENJOY