"KAYNE WEST COLLEGE DROPOUT" 4 stars

king kong

Kayne West

College Dropout

Roc-A-Fella/Def Jam

OOOO

Hard to imagine Kayne West's rhyme skils on par with the soul-heavy sounds he's creating for the likes of Jay-Z and Talib Kweli. but with the release of his debut album, West not only reaffirms his status as one of today's elite beat crafters, but the chigago native lets heads know he was rocking mikes long before he started messin' around with soundboards.

There's the powerfull "Falls Down," on which West questions his own materialism over a brilliant Lauryn Hill sample, "Mystery of Inquity." Then there's West's gripping meditation on God, "Jesus Walks." It cpmbines pummeling drums with some of west's finest lines: "Well if this takeaway from my spins / Which will probably take away from my ends / Then I hope it take away from my sins."

West's sideways approach to music making stands out on songs like "Through the Wire," Where he raps about an almost fatal car accident through a broken jaw that's been wired shut.

The raw, teeth-clenching narrative falls, in line with his gut-wrenching soul beats. College Dropout delivers bith ass-shakers and contemplative cuts. It's a class act

Dan Frosch

This forum is supported by the 12ozProphet Shop, so go buy a shirt and help support!
This forum is brought to you by the 12ozProphet Shop.
This forum is brought to you by the 12oz Shop.

Archived