Swedish foreign minister Lindh dies after attack

Guest imported_Europe

This forum is supported by the 12ozProphet Shop, so go buy a shirt and help support!
This forum is brought to you by the 12ozProphet Shop.
This forum is brought to you by the 12oz Shop.
Originally posted by IntangibleFame

I never even heard of this...maybe its my lack of viewing televison as a valid media tool. That shit really fuckin sucks, lindh was a great foreign minister from the things I have read about her. About the 9/11 comments...sure it is terrible but I really think that the overexposure is terrible...we as americans have a factuation with past events and it seems like we have a hard time moveing forward from things...As you said europe breaking news is constantly happening world wide...stopping everything for a day to focus on a tradgedy that happened two years ago doesnt seem worth it to me...Sure lower the flags and say a prayer or what ever makes you feel safer...but dwelling on it like people do seems like depression to me.

The American media does it because it was a major event, and now it's a cash cow. They know by doing 9/11 segments all day is going to attract millions of viewers, which equals profit. It's sad indeed, but unfortunately money rules everything with a "Co." on the end of it's name. A good step forward would be to make 9/11 a national day of memorandum. In my opinion, I think the families that survived the victims of the attacks want them to be remembered. If I were in their shoes, a day for remembrance would be the most dignifying, fulfilling, and respectful. Compare it to MLK Jr., but in an apples to oranges way. He is in documentaries. He is in grade-school history books so children can read about his life and how he devoted it to civil rights of minorities in the USA. He has streets named after him. He has several memorials and monuments in his name. I'm sure that's how he wanted to be remembered, and not his death being shown in segments and loops.

europe,

if i said the jews should get over the halocaust because it happend 60 years ago, or that blacks should get over slavery, because it was 400 years ago, you'd tell me i was an asshole, so dont pull some 'americans (or their media) need to get off their own dick' shit about 9/11. you cant expect media services to completely re-arrange the programming they'd been working on for months, in order to give mass exposure to the death of someone 99.% of americans have never heard of.

when the american senator (i forget his name) died in a plane crash earlier this year, how much news did it get in sweeden? hell, how much news did it really get here? this was a guy who actually stood for something, and backed his beliefes. did anyone give a shit? not really. im not denying our media is fucked, or that our country is fucked, but pointing some finger about this is dumb. you cant possibly expect america to put itself on hold, on the anniversary of the most important event since our inception, for someone we've never heard of.

Sounds like someone is being antihockeyist, I'll remember that.

It does sound weird that she wouldn't have been given protection because it sounds like she was anti-Bush and pro UN which makes her an enemy of idiots who like killing people, what is the word here, zealots? They have those in Sweden I think.

Guest imported_Europe

seek,

I dont expect the US media to do anything at all, except keeping its audience in the dark. I cant believe you are defending them. All the other bull youre trying to hang me on is not gonna stick. I only attacked the media, not the US nation or population. Whos fault is it none of you knew about Anna Lindh? It can only be your own or the source where you get your knowledge: the media.

Comemorating 9-11 all over the US and the world is fine. But do we need 24 hour live coverage of people standing around in silence? On a dull day, sure show some clips of that, but when there is breaking news happening I think moving on is in order.

And pulling in holocost and slavery into the argument is very weak since they dont compare to either 9-11 or Anna Lindh.

i heard about this when it happened, and when she died..

and not from 12oz.

it is always a tragedy when an innocent person is murdered.

i am sorry to hear about this, for her family, and also because she came from such a low-crime country..there also doesn't appear to be any worthwhile motive..she was just a quality person and a civic minded leader.

a tragedy, for all of us, indeed.

when something shitty happens in the world, it affects all of us

(i'm not concerned with whether or not you're aware of this)

my condolences europe, you seem particularly touched..

and as far as the comments on 9/11 and the media..

of course we would choose a single day to harp on the event.

that is only typical

plus it frees our society from the responsibility of having to remember it every other day of the year.

this way, they don't have to bother to mention it whenever our government commits a terrorist act, or whenever our own policies kill innocent people

everyone can be comfortable with when and how they 'commemorated' the anniversary

the american MEDIA, and GOVERNMENT are shit.

i agree.

i still love a lot of people here in america though

r.i.p. terrorism vicitms EVERYWHERE

all those things are not one in the same.

This murder is probably very shocking and upsetting in Sweden, but outside of that area of the world, Ms. Lindh was part of a pantheon of lesser politicians that occasionally make the news. Americans are no more or less self-absorbed than any other culture. Life is complicated enough without trying to follow all the political intrigues in nations on the other side of the world.

We focus on 9/11 because it was an attack aimed not just at Jews, not just at New Yorkers, and not just at Western business and economics, but at the American people as a whole and at American values and self esteem. It was a tragedy, as well as a horrible act of mass murder perpetrated by people filled with hatred and malevolent intent.

Sweden likes to think of itself as considerably more "open" and civilized than the United States. Swedes often indulge the idea that Americans and American culture is ignorant, boorish and gauche. They think of Swedish streets and Swedish society as safe, orderly and liberal.

I regret that they are being pretty naive. I suspect that in the future, Swedish politicians will be guarded by bodyguards. Like in ignorant, boorish, gauche America.

Too bad Ms. Lindh wasn't armed with a serviceable semi-automatic pistol. Maybe she would have survived the attack, and perhaps killed her attacker, instead of being stabbed to death with a kitchen knife. I don't suppose there will be any new Swedish legislation to control the manufacture, sales and possession of kitchen knives anytime soon.

The problem isn't the weapon. The problem is the murderer that wielded the weapon, and all the murderers like him.

As Sweden allows more and more immigration and become less and less homogenic, social stresses and tensions will begin to exacerbate. Eventually, every modern industrial society will contain many of the same distressing social problems that exist in the United States. Welcome to our world.

Originally posted by KaBar2

Swedes often indulge the idea that Americans and American culture is ignorant, boorish and gauche.

The problem isn't the weapon. The problem is the murderer that wielded the weapon, and all the murderers like him.

i think you just proved the swedes correct, huh..

i'd be crying if i wasn't laughing.

Dude that does suck i didnt even know who she was but Europe's explination made total sence. Somthing like that would seriously suck. Thats a pretty big peice of terrorism in my view even if its only 1 person its gonna have a big effect. I never even heard about it here. And although i do think that sept 11th needs some coverage, they could have at least spent a couple mins mentioning this and mayby put somthing on it on the front page in the paper. RIP.

!@#$%

Ms. Lindh was not murdered by an American redneck, !@#$%, she was murdered by a Swede, presumably armed with a Swedish kitchen knife. How can you possibly blame that on Americans, or American influence? Ninty-nine percent of Americans could not identify her or her position in Sweden, or her political position. Most likely, her killer was pissed about her support for switching to the Euro instead of maintaining the Swedish currency. I suppose it's simply unfathomable to you, but I would guess that millions of Swedes resent the intrusion of the European Union, and the UN, very much. They do not wish to be governed by foreigners, they are quite happy governing themselves. Apparently, at least a few of them are so angry that they are willing to murder politicians who support the subordination of the Swedish people to the authority of the EU.

I'm kind of at a loss at your attitude. She got stabbed to death. I bet, in the last ten seconds before she was killed, if you had handed her a .45, she would have gratefully filled her attacker full of .45 holes. I damned sure would have, and I bet you would have too. There isn't any alternative--she was stalked by a murderer intent upon taking her life. Nothing she could have done, nothing she could have said, no expression of sympathy or support or solidarity would have made any difference whatsoever--only the ability to defend herself. She was smaller and physically weaker than her attacker. She needed the ability to employ deadly force, and in a big hurry. As far as I can determine she gets a choice: hire an armed bodyguard, or do the job yourself. The quiet, liberal efficiency of the Swedish police doesn't seem to have deterred this particular murderer sufficiently.

Swedish politicians still face the same choice: employ a bodyguard, or defend yourself. Or just hope some killer doesn't ever find you.

If having an armed bodyguard is okay for big-shot politicians, it's okay for Joe Blow and his loved ones. If you can't afford to hire a bodyguard, then you should be permitted to defend yourself as best you can. In my opinion, that means carrying a sidearm.

Archived