OLD SCHOOL SKATEBOARDING

Guest im not witty

Guest im not witty

ok this is a shot in the dark, but i know theres some older heads on here like cleansheets and smart who have enough gray hairs to maybe be able to help me out.

im looking for links,names,footage whatever, of old school skaters. but not like tony alva, dogtown old, but older than the gonz and bones brigade. so im guessing like late 70s very early 80s. basically when skating was all powerslides and styling out on slants.

ive seen glimpses of footage of this kindof shit, all loose trucks and style without any kind of real street based tricks.

anyone?

This forum is supported by the 12ozProphet Shop, so go buy a shirt and help support!
This forum is brought to you by the 12ozProphet Shop.
This forum is brought to you by the 12oz Shop.

the video propaganda which i still own to this day has some old skool shit in it but i dont think skateboarding really was anything until the bones brigade...was it?

what exactly are you looking for.

Franky Hill - best skater ever.

I think in an 88 powell video he kickflip indy grabbed a nine

fakie bigspin indy grabbed the same nine.

The dude had the most amazing backside 180 one footers until he blew out his knee for the third time.

Guest im not witty

i guess im not looking for anything in particular. i remember watching this issue of ON.video. and i think it was a natas kaupas interview, but they were asking him who his influences were and he said some names, and they showed this footage of some guy carve up this steep ass bank, and kind of slalom on it super fast, no trick just all this smooth style.

and theres also this vans(i think) commercial that has some footage, some of which is in the dogtown movie and ive seen a million times but theres some more that looks similarly old but its these 70s looking kids riding these huge slant ditches.

like i said im not trying to find one specific thing, just looking for whatever anybody had to offer on old stylish skating.

Guest WebsterUno

*believe*

I used to have a comic book, and Im still trying

to find it. It was called Sk8 Comix, or

Sk-8 Comics...I forget, but it was old.

Like 86-87 old. I would look at the drawings,

and draw them myself. If any one knows what

Im talking about, and possibly has a link,

or knows where I can cop one, hit me up.

http://www.jimphillips.com/skate/archives/stckers/1stikschnd.gif'>

http://www.jimphillips.com/skate/archives/...rs/stickers.htm

tunnel skateboards. maha skateboards. look for old skateboarder mags.

all old surf mags from the late 70's early 80's had page layout of all the decks fiberglass etc. Wheels of Fire, hocus Pocus..there is a great cheeezie flick called Skateboarding from the 70's that has some cornball plot but some halfway all right dkating..and it is comedy..like a gleaming the cube of the 70's..keep digging..local scenes all have their own histories and will provide a wealth of knowledge. lester kasai?

go skate, gremic,.....the pyramids...penske43?...rcbs...sc...etc..

learn how to do slappies.

ollierism:king:

Guest im not witty

i knew one of you old bastards would come through here. thanks for the info, and dont worry...i rocked about a million different slappy variations on this rusted metal sawhorse thing all day yesterday.

viva la dork tricks!

Originally posted by im not witty

but not like tony alva, dogtown old, but older than the gonz and bones brigade. so im guessing like late 70s very early 80s. basically when skating was all powerslides and styling out on slants.

Well, those two eras are next to each other on the cosmic bookshelf but, Stacy Peralta was the king of swing in the mid/late 70's, he did 'wheelie rides' where he'd just kind of use his momentum to propell himself and toss it one wheel rides and 360's...

I think there's a huge spot of that in the Skateboarding movie that was mentioned... *Cleansheets, that's the one that has that ill ass clay-mation segment right?...

Yeah, scenes are really where it's at... I never saw Lester skate too much street, he was a park rider... maybe check out Gary S Davis (GSD) and John Griggley...

See, like what I was sayind at first... basically, before the park movement, skateboards were something maybe one kid on a block had... after the parks blew up, like '77 or so (featuring, among MANY other, Steve Caballero at age 8)... Suddenly everyone needed a board and kids who didn't live near a park would try to build their own ramps, or, even easier, skate around looking for stuff to jump off of, carve, etc...

cleansheets is totally right about the 'scenes'

Guest im not witty

i found one of the videos that i was looking for on kazaa. it was scott osten/austin/oster? much later than i thought, it was late 80s footage of him as a "style guy" winning contests.

John Grigley III

Lester Kasai

Steve Steadham

Alan Gelfand

Pat Brennan RIP........one of the sickest ever.....check out those old Powell videos again.....

Guest im not witty

found this today while dicking around at work, no where else to put it but here.

----- Skating across brick ground, holding long nose manuals, wheel bite, grinding rough blocks, having your board run over by a car and surviving, backside powerslides, hanging up, huge nollies, slamming on your tail bone, wallieing off parking blocks, lazy ollies out of curb cuts, the smell of new stickers, dropping in on something big, shinners on both legs at once, watching videos on rainy days, frontside boardslides, the first 10 seconds on new wheels, cutting your grip tape perfectly, rolling in, kickflipping a garbage can on its side, long tail slides, trying 540s on four-foot quarter pipes, launch ramp dorking, skating with earphones on, carving over the light, backside 180ing stairs, sliding up a downhill bar, pushing switch, getting a good line on film, lacing up a new pair of shoes just right, standing on a deck in the skateshop, flatground games of S-K-A-T-E in the street, grinding down to the axle, finding a new spot, road trips, mushy backyard mini ramps, 360 flip to Mr Wilson zip-outs, speed wobbles on hills, heroes, that one guy’s video part you and all your friends hate, flat spots, stripped bolts, rusted bearings, road rash, old magazines in the closet, finger skating the edge of the table with no fingerboard, skating at night, 50/50s on round bars, finding the logo you want on the color shirt you want, getting a new board for Christmas, hunting down the songs in your favorite video, rolling your ankle off the nose of your board, stepping on your wheel while you’re pushing, talking about who pulled what after seeing a sick demo, rocks in your palms, getting a new mag in the mailbox, looking at the tranny of a sink while you wash your hands, seeing somebody skating by themselves while you drive by in a car, chipping your tail, stress cracks, sticking in a crack in front of pedestrians, skating through traffic, the days you land more tricks than anybody else at the session, skating junk at an abandoned building, tearing out pages from a mag and covering up your walls with them, dodging people in the cross walk, picking scabs, hippers, learning new tricks, being known as a skater, people getting out of your way as you skate down the street with a pack of friends, and whatever you got. live it.

— Mark Whiteley

Originally posted by im not witty

found this today while dicking around at work, no where else to put it but here.

----- Skating across brick ground, holding long nose manuals, wheel bite, grinding rough blocks, having your board run over by a car and surviving, backside powerslides, hanging up, huge nollies, slamming on your tail bone, wallieing off parking blocks, lazy ollies out of curb cuts, the smell of new stickers, dropping in on something big, shinners on both legs at once, watching videos on rainy days, frontside boardslides, the first 10 seconds on new wheels, cutting your grip tape perfectly, rolling in, kickflipping a garbage can on its side, long tail slides, trying 540s on four-foot quarter pipes, launch ramp dorking, skating with earphones on, carving over the light, backside 180ing stairs, sliding up a downhill bar, pushing switch, getting a good line on film, lacing up a new pair of shoes just right, standing on a deck in the skateshop, flatground games of S-K-A-T-E in the street, grinding down to the axle, finding a new spot, road trips, mushy backyard mini ramps, 360 flip to Mr Wilson zip-outs, speed wobbles on hills, heroes, that one guy’s video part you and all your friends hate, flat spots, stripped bolts, rusted bearings, road rash, old magazines in the closet, finger skating the edge of the table with no fingerboard, skating at night, 50/50s on round bars, finding the logo you want on the color shirt you want, getting a new board for Christmas, hunting down the songs in your favorite video, rolling your ankle off the nose of your board, stepping on your wheel while you’re pushing, talking about who pulled what after seeing a sick demo, rocks in your palms, getting a new mag in the mailbox, looking at the tranny of a sink while you wash your hands, seeing somebody skating by themselves while you drive by in a car, chipping your tail, stress cracks, sticking in a crack in front of pedestrians, skating through traffic, the days you land more tricks than anybody else at the session, skating junk at an abandoned building, tearing out pages from a mag and covering up your walls with them, dodging people in the cross walk, picking scabs, hippers, learning new tricks, being known as a skater, people getting out of your way as you skate down the street with a pack of friends, and whatever you got. live it.

— Mark Whiteley

thats easily the best thing i've read in awhile. describes skating perfectly

SORRY for going out of cipher ,but Mark Gonzales was the truth when I dug sk8'tn but you gotta luv that era too and before someone tries to make a spin off thread and spread this whole topic across the forum I say consolidate to appreciate !

http://www.iceit.com.au/images/shirtsgonzlimitededition87.jpg'>

AND oh yeah you can't forget the pedal pushers like Eddie Fiola

http://www.lifelounge.com/images/features/featurearticle/bike/bikes_riders_friends/eddiefiola.jpg'>

Guest im not witty

i agree. i love the gonz with all my heart, dude still puts out work and you can tell hes just having fun. other skaters that i love because of thier personalities that come out in their skating include...

danny gonzalez

louie barletta (and most of the enjoi team)

dan drehobl

matt hensley

jason adams

TNT

p.s. now that ive gotten a acceptable amount of information, this thread can be hijacked (perhaps even renamed) and used for any skateboarding related purposes.

Guest Sket One
Originally posted by Sket One

http://www.skateboardcollector.com/popup/gallery/blender14.jpg'>

GREATEST DECK EVER!!! [/b]

Not only was Niel Blender one of the greatest skaters ever, a true pioneer (ever wonder why it's called a 'lein air'?)... This was one of the first boards with a nose. Notice it's still basically a fish shape but with all that extra in front... I remember he got a feature article in Thrasher with his art all throughout around '88... great stuff.

some old decks that lay around...

BBC Jeff Phillips, Sims Henry Gutierrez, Vision Grigley street model, Madrid John Lucero, Original Bone-ite Cab (with the tar paper on the top and bottom layers, unlike the XT models that were FAR superior)... Oh, and a Schmitt Stixx Lucero...

Guest im not witty

i wish i had a digi cam, my local skate shop is having a display with all these old decks, like 60s decks with wooden wheels, to plastic decks that have like two steamroller/rolling pin wheels, one on the nose, one on the tail, and then of course like old nash and hawk boards. super cool.

Archived