no bullshietting, i need a good art school

ir8one

i tried ignoring that i what i really wanna do is go to school and learn how to paint/draw..all that fundamental shite...and look at me now, thousands of dollars in debt to some bs school, and still hungry! so please, if you kno of some good art school....where i can get a solid art education, i would appreciate it...i needa get my arse in gear.....

This forum is supported by the 12ozProphet Shop, so go buy a shirt and help support!
This forum is brought to you by the 12ozProphet Shop.
This forum is brought to you by the 12oz Shop.
Guest imported_El Mamerro
Originally posted by BigOatser

Im sitting in the Art Institute of CAlifornia San Francisco as we speak, and yes it is 8:00 in the morning.

My cousin, who is incredibly hot, was a grad student in GD there and just transferred to SCAD cause she didn't know anyone and was bored out of her mind. Missed your chance to bone her. HA!

Originally posted by Telo

chicago = art institute/columbia

art institute is good for networking but the school itself is a joke.

columbia is decent but they are far from up to date with industry standards in film and animation.

its what you do with your ba thats important. but really the more money you pay and the higher prestige of the school the easier it is to make the friends in the industry that you need. i graduated from columbia college and everyone thinks i graduated from columbia university. you`d be suprised the difference this has made for me.

Guest ModelCitizen
Originally posted by El Mamerro

My cousin, who is incredibly hot, was a grad student in GD there and just transferred to SCAD cause she didn't know anyone and was bored out of her mind. Missed your chance to bone her. HA!

Man, SCAD is dangerous. I have multiple friends who went there and ALL of them have at least one or two stories of being attacked, shot, robbed or just fucked with. There's a gang (or some shit) in Savannah who's "initiation" involves randomly killing a SCAD student.

It's funny because I kicked it there for a while and it seemed cool -- not as much like some of the more crime-friendly spots I've been around.

Pretty good school, though.

Guest ModelCitizen

On another note, the art industry is tough. I went to an art school when I got out of high school and reality hit me pretty quickly -- it's a business and it's entirely governed by business rules. I'm not sure what type of mentality you have but be prepared to face a lot of bullshit and hard work if you're serious about being a professional artist. It isn't easy and you have to be devoted to it 100% to be successful.

Good schools I know of personally, and all of them have their downsides, mainly high tuition:

-Rhode Island's school of art & design (forget the exact title)

-SVA in NYC

-Cooper Union in NYC (good luck getting in there, they have an ILL hometest)

-Art Institute of San Francisco (and the other "Art Institutes" nationwide, and I've heard good and bad things about these schools, but SF at least has a rep as one of the better ones)

-SCAD (see post above)

-Pratt in Brooklyn

-The Joe Kubert School in Jersey (comic book/cartoon shit ONLY)

-Ringling in Florida (they called me hella times when I was graduating high school, trying to bring me "aboard". Sounded gay to me but I've heard decent things about them nonetheless).

I really just love doing art, and learning more about it, (art history, techniques, styles, etc) i figured i could go get a bfa, and then emphasis on either interior design/graphic design/web, once i get my fine art foundations established. im not really down for a corporate type job. im really just wanting to go to school becuz i feel like i havent learned enuf. i also see an art school to be a great way to share ideas and gain creative insight with other really creative people. am i just bullshitting myself tho? man, maybe i am...i dunno..this shiet is confusing......bleah.

artschools.com is a cool place to check out.... but it also has some chitty schools listed....

but... RISD is white bread... hippies and crap, but still good.

MICA - maryland institute college of art

SFAI - san fransisco art institute

the art institute of chicago

KCAI - kansas city art institue, yeah kansas city, but it is good school.

there are several good schools in new york city: SVA - school of visual arts; cooper union, free tution besides housing and supplies if you get in, but they only let in 60 students a year, or something like that; Pratt school of design; and Parsons school of design.

only one really good school in LA - Otis College of Design

ok, i hope that helped you out.