Search In
  • More options...
Find results that contain...
Find results in...
Sign in to follow this  
ir8one

no bullshietting, i need a good art school

i tried ignoring that i what i really wanna do is go to school and learn how to paint/draw..all that fundamental shite...and look at me now, thousands of dollars in debt to some bs school, and still hungry! so please, if you kno of some good art school....where i can get a solid art education, i would appreciate it...i needa get my arse in gear.....

This forum is brought to you by the 12ozProphet Shop.
This forum is brought to you by the 12ozProphet Shop.
This forum is brought to you by the 12oz Shop.
Guest imported_El Mamerro
Originally posted by BigOatser

Im sitting in the Art Institute of CAlifornia San Francisco as we speak, and yes it is 8:00 in the morning.

My cousin, who is incredibly hot, was a grad student in GD there and just transferred to SCAD cause she didn't know anyone and was bored out of her mind. Missed your chance to bone her. HA!

chicago = art institute/columbia

good art scene in chicago...

same with dude who said san fran.. god art scene there too..

Originally posted by ir8one

what is SVA?

School of Visual Arts. New York. I checked out ringling before but my grades werent good enough to get in. Cocksuckers.

oh yeah, and if you are good, your good. And art education isnt gonna help you get a job, its all about being fresh and meeting people. Only go to art schools to study, not for career training.

my opinion, for what its worth.

yeah they should just consider art school a hobby.. cause an art degree doesnt get you anywhere except to be an art teacher..

i toured SVA. it looked like a great art school . Theyre like the only college that offers a major in cartooning. If my memory serves me correctly, they had great programs for cartooning, and animation in general...my mom wont give me a dime if i go to art school....meh...

Originally posted by Telo

chicago = art institute/columbia

art institute is good for networking but the school itself is a joke.

columbia is decent but they are far from up to date with industry standards in film and animation.

its what you do with your ba thats important. but really the more money you pay and the higher prestige of the school the easier it is to make the friends in the industry that you need. i graduated from columbia college and everyone thinks i graduated from columbia university. you`d be suprised the difference this has made for me.

yeah i dont see going to art school to have a career,(but if it works, i'll take that too..)

just dont think ive learned enuf about it...maybe it IS all about the people you know, but thats just fucking dumb....or maybe im just anti social

if the only thing you want to do is learn to draw then the last place you want to go to is an art college. they expect you to be able to draw before coming there. i`d say just practice by yourself. your better off that way and it will save you money.

Guest ModelCitizen
Originally posted by El Mamerro

My cousin, who is incredibly hot, was a grad student in GD there and just transferred to SCAD cause she didn't know anyone and was bored out of her mind. Missed your chance to bone her. HA!

Man, SCAD is dangerous. I have multiple friends who went there and ALL of them have at least one or two stories of being attacked, shot, robbed or just fucked with. There's a gang (or some shit) in Savannah who's "initiation" involves randomly killing a SCAD student.

It's funny because I kicked it there for a while and it seemed cool -- not as much like some of the more crime-friendly spots I've been around.

Pretty good school, though.

Guest ModelCitizen

On another note, the art industry is tough. I went to an art school when I got out of high school and reality hit me pretty quickly -- it's a business and it's entirely governed by business rules. I'm not sure what type of mentality you have but be prepared to face a lot of bullshit and hard work if you're serious about being a professional artist. It isn't easy and you have to be devoted to it 100% to be successful.

Good schools I know of personally, and all of them have their downsides, mainly high tuition:

-Rhode Island's school of art & design (forget the exact title)

-SVA in NYC

-Cooper Union in NYC (good luck getting in there, they have an ILL hometest)

-Art Institute of San Francisco (and the other "Art Institutes" nationwide, and I've heard good and bad things about these schools, but SF at least has a rep as one of the better ones)

-SCAD (see post above)

-Pratt in Brooklyn

-The Joe Kubert School in Jersey (comic book/cartoon shit ONLY)

-Ringling in Florida (they called me hella times when I was graduating high school, trying to bring me "aboard". Sounded gay to me but I've heard decent things about them nonetheless).