presidential elections 2004. whats your vote?

rubbish heap

Study: U.S. Abortion Policy Closes African Clinics

Wed Sep 24, 4:19 PM ET Add Top Stories - Reuters to My Yahoo!

By Maggie Fox, Health and Science Correspondent

WASHINGTON (Reuters) - President Bush (news - web sites)'s anti-abortion policy has forced family planning clinics in poor countries to close, leaving some communities without any healthcare, according to a report issued Wednesday.

Even faith-based clinics that promote abstinence -- in line with White House policy -- have had to close, according to organizers.

Under the policy, known as the Mexico City rule by supporters and the Global Gag rule by opponents, foreign family planning agencies cannot receive U.S. funds if they provide abortion services or lobby to make or keep abortion legal in their own country.

A survey of Ethiopia, Kenya, Romania and Zambia by Population Action International and the Planned Parenthood (news - web sites) Federation of America showed the rule had forced clinics to close and left many men and women without access to contraceptives that could prevent both unwanted pregnancies and AIDS (news - web sites).

"You cannot separate HIV (news - web sites)/AIDS, reproductive health and abortion," said Hillary Fyfe, who heads the Family Life Movement of Zambia, a faith-based group working with adolescents on sex education.

While her group does not promote abortion or even condom use, it does talk about the possibility, and that was enough to lose U.S. funding, Fyfe said. Three clinics in Lusaka closed this year.

"We taught natural family planning and abstinence until marriage," Fyfe said in an interview. Now her group will be unable to holds its workshops unless they can find alternative funding, Fyfe said.

The same is happening in several countries, according to the report.

"Health services have been scaled back and closings of reproductive health clinics have left some communities with no healthcare provider," the group wrote in a statement.

HURTING AIDS EFFORTS

The policy has also hurt AIDS prevention efforts, said the group, which published the findings on the Internet at www.globalgagrule.org.

As one of his first acts in office in 2001, Bush reinstated the rule that former President Bill Clinton (news - web sites), a Democrat, had lifted. The rule was originally imposed in 1984 by President Ronald Reagan (news - web sites) at a Mexico City conference.

Last month Bush ordered the State Department to strengthen the rule by withholding U.S. family planning help from overseas groups that promote or perform abortions with their own money.

Five family planning clinics run by nongovernmental organizations have closed in Kenya because they refused the restrictions and lost funding from the U.S. Agency for International development, the report said.

"As a result, they are prevented from participating in a large-scale integrated health care program funder by the U.S. Agency for International Development, which curtails the effectiveness and reach of the program," the report reads.

In Kenya's Mathare Valley, a family planning clinic closed, leaving 300,000 people with no healthcare services. "And there is no other family planning or reproductive health clinic nearby," the report said.

In Romania, women may be more likely to get abortions, not fewer, because the rule has meant more women cannot get any information on contraceptives that can prevent unwanted pregnancies, the report said.

"This is the real face of Bush's compassionate conservatism -- a war on the world's most vulnerable women and children, who bear the brunt of Bush's obsession with appeasing his domestic political base," Planned Parenthood's Gloria Feldt said in a statement.

But White House spokeswoman Claire Buchan said the policy only affected family planning clinics, not general health clinics.

"The president had just unveiled a $15 billion program to address the biggest healthcare crisis facing Africa, which is AIDS," she said in a telephone interview. "Any organization that wants to participate in delivering healthcare services relating to AIDS can do so."

This forum is supported by the 12ozProphet Shop, so go buy a shirt and help support!
This forum is brought to you by the 12ozProphet Shop.
This forum is brought to you by the 12oz Shop.
  • Replies 132
  • Created
  • Last Reply

its funny how we are supposed to be helping africa with their aids problem by taking away condoms and giving them christian morals. as if i didn`t hate the guy already. now taking away abortion rights to poor third world people so only the rich can afford it. who wants to shoot him first? lets take numbers. bush and his whole token cabinet.

i think you should differentiate between real convervatives and neo-conservatives... i dont think convervativism is any worse than liberalism, just a different end of the spectrum... real conservatives know the deal w/ bush and how he doesnt represent their views (all the gov't spending, infringements on civil liberties, etc), the religous right would be considered neo conservatives because they obviously dont care about the seperation between church and state.

Guest BROWNer
Originally posted by serum

its funny how we are supposed to be helping africa with their aids problem by taking away condoms and giving them christian morals.

infectious diseases account for 50+% of deaths annually in developing countries.

measles and mumps are more of an 'epidemic' in africa than aids. or at least that's what my microbiology prof's research says.

well, it's official:

Rep. Kucinich Announces White House Bid

1 hour, 7 minutes ago

By CONNIE MABIN, Associated Press Writer

CLEVELAND - Democrat Dennis Kucinich, the liberal four-term congressman who has been steadfast in his opposition to the Iraq war, formally launched his long-shot bid for the White House Monday.

http://us.news1.yimg.com/us.yimg.com/p/ap/20031013/thumb.ny10710130316.kucinich_ny107.jpg'>

"Miracles occur when our faith meets our vision, when believing is seeing," said Kucinich, who recalled years ago watching the flames from the stacks at an Ohio steel factory and imagining running for president.

Kucinich, who has been campaigning for months, made the announcement in his hometown of Cleveland, the first stop of a 12-state tour that will include Michigan, New Hampshire, Wisconsin and Iowa.

"I'm running for president of the United States to enable the armies of peace," Kucinich told some 300 supporters in the chambers of the Cleveland city council, largely quiet on the Columbus Day holiday.

The candidate has stressed several themes during his months on the campaign trail and in candidates' debates: his opposition to the U.S.-led war against Iraq and his call for American troops to return home; his desire to end the North American Free Trade Agreement that he argues costs U.S. jobs and his support for a single-payer, universal health care system.

The kickoff speech at Cleveland's City Hall served as a reminder of Kucinich's political triumphs and bitter disappointments. Elected in 1977, the 31-year-old "boy mayor" guided a city that two years later became the first since the Depression to go into default.

Kucinich faced death threats, and was forced to wear a bulletproof vest when he threw out the first ball at a Cleveland Indians game.

He barely survived a recall election but lost his bid for re-election by a landslide. Then, in the 1990s, he made a political comeback, winning a state Senate seat and eventually capturing a U.S. House seat in 1996.

Kucinich began campaigning for the Democratic presidential nomination some eight months ago but trails many of his well-established rivals in fund raising and public opinion polls. He raised $1.7 million during a three-month period ending June 30 and hopes to show an additional $1.5 million when campaign finance reports are filed Wednesday.

"I don't think he's in the race because he thinks he has a chance to win it," said Dave Rohde, a Michigan State University political science professor. "He's in the race, at the very least, to give public vent to some of his concerns."

Kucinich is likely to appear not only on the presidential ballot but as a candidate seeking re-election to his House seat. He must file for both by Jan. 2, according to the Ohio Secretary of State's office.

Guest BROWNer

even though he may realistically have a slim chance, it kinda

sucks that his chances are always referred to as such.

i've read it so much now i believe it and if i was joe-not-enough-time-

to-read-up-on-shit US voter i'd probly for sure vote someone else

becuz they just keep sayin' dude has no chance..so why bother

voting for him?

Guest BROWNer
Originally posted by SenorSeven

Dean mu'fuckers. howard fucking dean.

hear me now and believe me later,

dean will be mr. status quo.

Guest imported_El Mamerro
Originally posted by BROWNer

even though he may realistically have a slim chance, it kinda

sucks that his chances are always referred to as such.

i've read it so much now i believe it and if i was joe-not-enough-time-

to-read-up-on-shit US voter i'd probly for sure vote someone else

becuz they just keep sayin' dude has no chance..so why bother

voting for him?

I don't know, after going through his stances on most issues, I feel it is very, very unrealistic to think that he would have the support of the nation even if they actually read up on what he is about. I don't think he represents what the vast majority of the country want on the helm.

Originally posted by El Mamerro

I don't know, after going through his stances on most issues, I feel it is very, very unrealistic to think that he would have the support of the nation even if they actually read up on what he is about. I don't think he represents what the vast majority of the country want on the helm.

this is true. the whole peace thing, where he promises to sign all these treaties while in the white house, is kind of pushing it.

still, he would get a lot of things done while in office, and i support his ideas on doing away with the patriot act and the NAFTA.

but hell, i'm no genius in politics.

Lieberman Pledges to Gloss Over Boring Issues

HARTFORD, CT—Eager to distinguish himself in the nine-member field of Democratic candidates, presidential hopeful Sen. Joe Lieberman (D-CT) pledged Monday to "gloss over any and all issues boring to Americans today."

http://www.theonion.com/images/273/article1990.jpg'>

Above: Lieberman tells Hartford voters he'll be brief.

"Are you sick of politics as usual in Washington?" Lieberman said at a campaign fundraiser held at the downtown Hartford Hilton. "Are you sick of politics in general? Well, I can see why. Politics, frankly, is boring. In this campaign, I promise to slide past the tedious issues and get to the point: I want to be your next president! Vote Joe in 2004!"

"Endless details, mathematical proposals, and tax plans," Lieberman continued. "Why should the nation as a whole have to tolerate all that?"

Lieberman, among the most politically moderate of the Democratic hopefuls, first delivered this new stump speech in New York on Oct. 3. On that day, he promised a group of factory workers in Buffalo that all future speeches would focus on his ultimate goals instead of on the intricate workings of his actual proposals.

"Americans are very busy, and I won't bore them with the details of my positions," Lieberman said. "I think George W. Bush is doing a terrible job as America's chief executive, both at home and abroad. I'd do much better. I'd keep America safe. It's all very complicated when you get into it, so I'll spare you the boring legislation-this and appropriations-that. All you need to know is that I'm on it."

To growing applause, Lieberman quickly ran through a list of issues important to voters.

"The economy? I'll make it better," he said. "Reconstruction of Iraq? No problem. International relations? I'll patch those up in my first 100 days. Poverty? I got a plan."

"World trade? Women's rights? Education? Yes, yes, and yes," said Lieberman, who spent the next 45 minutes discussing the Red Sox.

Reached by phone at his office Tuesday, Lieberman re-emphasized his commitment to instituting change, rather than talking about the mechanics of instituting change.

"This great nation needs a leader who's willing to roll up his sleeves," he said. "Exactly what I'm going to do, and how I'm going to do it—ack, forget about it. Unlike some of my opponents, I solemnly pledge not to annoy you with endless status reports in the process."

This new message marks a change for Lieberman, who relied on hard-to-understand, fact-riddled positions during his unsuccessful bid for the vice-presidency in 2000.

"I'm the same Joe Lieberman I've always been, just a little easier to tolerate in long stretches," Lieberman said. "I haven't changed on the issues, though—just look at my voting record. Actually, don't waste your time. Those things are really dense."

When pressed for more information, Lieberman sighed.

"Well, you asked for it," Lieberman said. "I'm pro-business, pro-national-security, and pro-health-care. I'm a bit more conservative than some of the other Democratic candidates in this race. But I'm a lot less boring. That's the last time you'll hear all of that."

A reporter asked Lieberman for his stance on Chinese currency valuation after Monday's speech.

Lieberman shook his head. "Listen, I know that the renminbi has been pegged within a narrow band around 8.3 to the U.S. dollar for nearly a decade, and that China refuses to revalue it despite increasing international pressure," he said. "But everyone else in the country doesn't need to know that. If there's a problem, I'll do everything in my power to fix it. Now, back to the real issue: I can and will skip right past the whoozits and whatsits. Not just during the election, but throughout my entire term as president."

While he acknowledged that some critics see Lieberman's pledge as simplistic, campaign director Craig Smith said it demonstrates the senator's understanding of the average voter.

Lieberman's web site is only one page long. It features a short bullet-point list of his stance on issues—pro-business, pro-national-security, and pro-health-care—and two helpful charts of "Joe's Likes" and "Joe's Dislikes."

Many voters have responded positively to Lieberman's campaign promise.

"I liked his speech. It was nice and short," said Carol Meadows, 45, of Lancaster, PA. "He said he'd fix everything that's wrong, and then the music started playing again."

Some critics have dismissed Lieberman's concise message as a vote-grabbing ploy, launched in response to the record-breaking fundraising of former Vermont Gov. Howard Dean and retired Army Gen. Wesley Clark. But Lieberman's press secretary, Jano Cabrera, insisted that the senator's campaign strategy was intended to benefit the public, not the campaign.

"Let me ask you this: Would the average American rather read the Financial Times or People?" Cabrera said. "Joe Lieberman is finally giving the people what they want, while other candidates just go on and on and on and on."

"It's like, next campaign stop: Yawnsville," said Cabrera, who then pretended to fall asleep standing up. "Wake me up when Howard Dean's done talking."

see my dean "fraudulent" comments earlier

Kucinich Demands Stations Cease Airing Dean Ad,

Cites False Statements About Opponents

For Immediate Release: October 24, 2003

Press Conference: 2 p.m., Oct. 24, Portsmouth, N.H., Sheraton Harbor

Side, 250

Market St.

The attorney for the Kucinich Campaign, Donald J. McTigue, has sent a

letter

to all of the television stations broadcasting in New Hampshire asking

that

they "not air or immediately cease and desist from airing" an

advertisement

produced by Gov. Howard Dean's campaign, and requesting that they

"provide

Kucinich for President, Inc. air time equivalent to the time in which

you have

already aired the advertisement free of charge so that Congressman

Kucinich

may have an opportunity to correct the falsehoods contained in the

advertisement." The letter can be read at:

http://kucinich.us/Cease.pdf

The Kucinich campaign will be writing to the FTC and the FCC regarding

this

false and misleading advertising.

Congressman Dennis Kucinich commented:

"I am proud of my record of opposition to the War on Iraq and the

Occupation

of Iraq, and I will not stand by while a fellow Democrat distorts my

record

and his own. A political campaign should be about clarifying our

positions,

not distorting them. When Gov. Dean denied his own position on the

retirement

age for Social Security during the AFL-CIO debate, he apparently

thought no

one would notice. Now he is trying to oppose the Occupation of Iraq in

television ads but support it in debates and in conversations with

newspaper

editors. Does he imagine that no one will notice these contradictions?

We

already have a problem with the current President using this war for

political

gain, saying one thing and doing another. Our country does not need to

see

the same behavior from Democrats. Now is a time for honesty, not

distortion."

Archived