Search In
  • More options...
Find results that contain...
Find results in...
Sign in to follow this  
Dick Quickwood

trying to delete a file

there are a couple suspicious files that showed up in my kazaa shared folder with a .dat extension, when i try to delete them, it says it cannot selete them because they are in use by another person or program, even when kazaa is not running. how do i go about deleting these ?

I honestly wouldn't delete them.

Those .dat files are incomplete Kazaa downloads, so if you nuke them, you nuke everything you have partially downloaded.

Just thought you should know before you kill your computer.

...however, they still don't delete when Kazaa is not running? Maybe you have a crashed copy of Kazaa still running in the background, or your computer is set up to not allow deletion of .dat files.

they're what you're currently d/ling or uploading. you can either close kazaa and delete em. or you can finish d/ling the file

if you really want to delete those .dat files, do it through dos, dos will take it out, not sure if remember the exact call but its something like

del c:program fileskazaamy shared folderfilenamehere.dat

something like that, you can run dos while your windows is still running incase you thought you had to reboot in dos mode, just go to

start>>program files>>accesories>>comand prompt.exe

open your task manager, close all unneeded processes, all of them... except the ones necessary for windows to run. If it doesn't let you delete the file after that, then it *could* be a virus. Kazaa is notorious for propogating hostile code.

nah its not just the file name, im not really sure how to get the short version myself with out a program i used to have that would do it for me, but a short file name is like "c:prog~1kaz~1mysha~1down~1.dat" opposed to the whole "C:program fileskazaamy shared folderfilename.dat" dhabz might know a way to get it

it should be

"C:DOCUME~1OWNERMYDOCU~1220809~1.DAT"

im not quite sure though as it seems it wont work if i myself dont have that path on my computer, but it looks like after every 6 characters you add a "~1" and just move on to the next part of the path

i thought you deleted it allready, cuz if you allready deleted it then of coarse it aint gonna find it, but like i said im not sure if thats really what the short path would be

Register for a 12ozProphet forum account or sign in to comment

You need to be a forum member in order to comment. Forum accounts are separate from shop accounts.

Create an account

Register to become a 12ozProphet forum member.

Register a new account

Sign in

Already have an account? Sign in here.

Sign In Now
Sign in to follow this