At what age...

Smart

• 2 years later...
This forum is supported by the 12ozProphet Shop, so go buy a shirt and help support!
This forum is brought to you by the 12ozProphet Shop.
This forum is brought to you by the 12oz Shop.

Dawoo told me a couple weeks ago that he would marry off his daughter *under the 'right circumstances' and as long as she had entered puberty* even if she was only 9 years old.

He stressed 'cultural leniency' but... I argued <even before all that>: You aren't even 'grown' until you're way past what we really consider 'grown' fom a legal standpoint... and then I found this this neglected thread from a couple years ago...

I don't want to get hung up on Dawoo's religious choices or morals and I don't want this to be about sex. Like Casek reiterated:

How old are you when you are FULLY grown emotionally/physically and undeniably an ADULT?

so what do you think smart?

No, that's what I'm asking you... I mean, at what age are you fully 'biologically' done.... you know how sexual peak for males is 18 or so, but that doesn't really mean 'grown'... around what age are you done climbing the growth mountain and full sliding down the other side? Sure, some can live their lives as kids but not many, so... when?

no, I mean totally... no specifics, I'm speaking in generalities but, for specific examples...

consider the age to drive versus the time when you can smoke....

consider the age when vote/enlist versus the time when you can drink...

and we all know that babys can be made at age 15 (on average)...

and then after 21 what? Cheaper car insurance? Are you really done at 21?

after some consideration here are my final answers:

sexually: when you hit puberty (that is the technical answer). morally, i think males are in their 20's and females 19/20. that is when we are prepared to ahve sex and deal with the complications.

physically: early 20's we stop growing.

full blown maturity happens the second you die. that is when we should be done growing up.

(we should be trying to grow the whole time we are alive)

Nothing ever ends, ever, because nothing's ever began.

The age you started driving, smoking, or doing anything, was the outcome of your current circumstances and conditioning. The example that comes to mind are cars:

Car owners are victims of a stockholm syndrome type response to the societal pressures proselytized by our government and Big Oil. Car companies are little more than makers of happy meal toys to go along with our oil based economy, and yet this country is bulldozed flat for highways because people "have" to have them.

The same shit goes for any kind of consumerism, any time you react to a situation based on cultural or gender roles, you're adolescent in your reaction.

If I'm to say that adultivity is when you've removed who you are from your conditioning and the rat race... then realistically, you'll reach adultivity when you're on your deathbed.

Guest R@ndomH3ro

I think you are an Adult when you have all of the below;

A. Have a stable job or career

B. File taxes regularly

C. Register to vote and actually use it

D. Have some type of retirement savings (i.e...401K, IRA, Mutual Fund)

E. Own something big, and make regular payments on it. (i.e...New Car, House)

when girls turn 23 they automatically think they are better than everyguy in the entire world i know this for a fact. Its like they all become superficial (fuck spelling) Its insane they all just go crazy they think that just because your a year younger you are imature and stupid then when they hang out with their friends and they are acting more imature than a 14 year old.

this happened to me twice so its gotta be true

I think you are fully grown when you;

A. Have a stable job or career

B. File taxes regularly

C. Register to vote and actually use it

D. Have some type of retirement savings (i.e...401K, IRA, Mutual Fund)

E. Own something big, and make regular payments on it. (i.e...New Car, House)

Fuck man 20years old and have already reached my peak!?" WTF is that a good thing?!

Nothing ever ends, ever, because nothing's ever began.

The age you started driving, smoking, or doing anything, was the outcome of your current circumstances and conditioning. The example that comes to mind are cars:

Car owners are victims of a stockholm syndrome type response to the societal pressures proselytized by our government and Big Oil. Car companies are little more than makers of happy meal toys to go along with our oil based economy, and yet this country is bulldozed flat for highways because people "have" to have them.

The same shit goes for any kind of consumerism, any time you react to a situation based on cultural or gender roles, you're adolescent in your reaction.

If I'm to say that adultivity is when you've removed who you are from your conditioning and the rat race... then realistically, you'll reach adultivity when you're on your deathbed.

um... no dude, people need cars because some times they have to go places.

I'd say you become an adult when you grow out of the philosophies soup espouses, either by thinking that they are untrue or atleast coming to terms with the fact that they are untenable. is modern life, specifically modern life the 'ideal' human lifestyle? probably not. but when you're out on your own and have to support yourself and/or a family, you kick your teen angst to the curb and go out and get a fucking job. i personally think that people who talk about the 'consumerist culture' and all that stuff, and who aren't willing to go live on a farm and put their money where their mouth is, should grow up. the only alternatives to the rat race are: 1) making an illegal living, which is an entirely similar ratrace, 2) living off someone else, which is, in most cases dispicable, 3) living on a farm/being entirely self sufficient, which is more and harder work than the rat race and 4) get paid enough through any number of ways and win the rat race ahead of schedule. but this idea that you can't be who you really are AND hold a job, is outrageous. do what you have to do for 8 hours a day, be yourself and do whatever you want for another eight, sleep the rest.

i would say i became an adult the moment i realized the above was true, which, coincidentally, was the same time a took a job to start earning my own scratch.

a good friend of mine and i once had this conversation

we pretty much agreed that a person is who they are at roughly 25.

most people don't change much at all after that

and many people's direction in life is kinda determined by then

..if you are not educated, or motivated by the time oyu are 25, it's probably going to stay that way for a long long time.

after getting older, this does seem mostly true for almost everyone i have known.

it's not always about the responsibilities you have undertaken by that point, but your attitude towards those responsibilities and [whether you have and are actively persuing] future goals

i agree with symbols.

again, to soup:

the reason people need highways is because they found they could feed more mouths with interstate commerce than by sitting around contmplating preSocratic wisdom turds like 'nothing ever ends because nothing's ever began'. i think Aristotle said it best: 'the beginning is that which necessarily comes before, but not necessarily after. the middle is that which comes both before and after. and the end is that which comes after, but not necessarily before.' but your little Parmenidian (although perhaps i am giving too much credit in assuming that this is where you got it?) nugget is cosmicly stupid given any rational understand of beginning and ending.

I thought I was an adult when I turned 18 and moved out of my parent's house.

Then, when I was 21, I realized that was not true, but that I was finally an actual adult.

At 23, I moved to the big city, got a "real" job, moved in with my girlfriend, was financially independent, etc., and realized that only then had I reached actual adulthood.

Now, at 27, I worry about things like health insurance, I'm looking to buy a house, marriage is on the horizon, and most of my furniture matches. And I realize that none of this really makes me an adult.

All my life, I've found that looking at someone two years younger than me (or even looking back at myself two years prior), there is a lot more innocence, naivette, and immaturity. I can only assume that this will continue for the rest of my life.