Search In
  • More options...
Find results that contain...
Find results in...
nang'eds!

WHY DO PEOPLE BELIEVE IN GOD?

That's the big thing with all the major faiths:

You have to repent for your sins and stop doing them.

We're only human and we do have faults.

I dont believe a higher power would forget that

and expect us to all live like mother Teresa.

We can't say things like 'Well I'm just a murdering cheat,

and that's how God made me'. But there are little things

about our character that we should try to improve upon.

Things like being honest and accountable are good for the

people we deal with and for ourselves.

I um......dont care. I rarely think about this. Nothing miraculously good ever happens to me, and I never get really depressed. I dont believe in Karma either. Maybe balance, not karma or fate. It just has no effect on my life so I never stop to wonder. Show me the light, and I will believe. If not, I could never make myself.

all of these people seem to say

'Oh yeah God, prove it and then I'll believe'

Well then that makes faith useless.

With confirmation, faith becomes redundant.

I have faith in gravity. Wait.. it's a fact gravity exists

so I'd be a fool not to believe in it. Sorry buy religion

doesn't work like that. And like I've said before a few times...

You want proof that there's something much greater than us at work here?

Look at a redwood seed. Then look at the tree. Do you ever think

we'll ever be able to really understand how that works, let alone

recreate that miracle for ourselves?

even if you dont believe in a higher power,

it's hard to believe in all the miracles we now take for granted.

Guest WebsterUno

Then I should be all good.

As long as I stay on track.

Originally posted by Dirty_habiT

Ok, he was saying that he was JUST AS impotent as any god in the bible because the god in the bible can't do anything more than Smart can. And I don't think he would've fucked that word up, good try though... I still vote for you're wrong. Important is middle school vocabulary.

We HAVE a winnah!

Gold Stars for DHabz.

I'm gonna go with Spot on this one.... how come there's so many religions? Everyone believes there religion is the correct one, so does that make people following other religions wrong and incorrect? When everyone's dead, who's religion is right? Where are all the dead people waiting to be judged? What physical space does this "limbo" realm occupy? Is heaven in the sky? No, is hell beneath our feet? No.... who has the answers, I know it's not in a book, it's not in someone's knowledge.

People follow religion to believe their life has purpose and meaning. They want to believe that they are here for a reason, and not just to live and die and suck the earth for all it's got. Does praying to something that's not physically there make the shittyness you've caused go away? Does it make it not wrong? Are your sins even really sins? I've got alot of questions, that nobody has answers to, not even a church, I don't buy that shit. I'd have to say I'm most apologetic to Kilo, because he seems to be on the right track to forgiveness. I live by "to each their own."

Guest imported_El Mamerro
Originally posted by WebsterUno

Then I should be all good.

As long as I stay on crack.

Does praying to something that's not physically there make the shittyness you've caused go away?

I think it can.

Having a positive mindset can make positive things happen.

Sure some people feel that they are being 'punished' by god

which is why their life is such shit. They might think that they

need to give more money to the collection, or even act out

all the crazy things they hear in there head. These people are

for the most part, fucked up, and a bad example of my point.

Think of the exercise of visualisation.

This may sound like some Tony Roberts bullshit to some of you,

but unless you can see it happening first in your mind, you will

not be able to make it happen in reality. Well I think prayer works

a lot like that. If you choose to pray, well you're mentaly preparing

yourself for things. Now just dont make psycho prayers or your

kids will end up like Carrie. Remeber that movie?

so yeah... the belief in God can be a self-fulfilling prophecy,

and I honestly believe that no positive thought or action is wasted.

and dirty... I agree with 'to each his own'... I'm just finding my own

and I agree with no positive thought or action is wasted..... I guess it's all about what makes *you* happy.... some people use religion.... others don't. The one thing I cannot stand more than anything is people pressing their religion upon me. Like Mormons knocking on my door, that makes me furious. The reason why I respect your opinions and way of thinking so much is that you are not trying to press anything upon anyone here.... and that's very good in my book.

Guest WebsterUno

*believe*

Dont confuse me with yourself, trekkie.

:lol:

Guest WebsterUno

oh...

*I was talking to Mammerro*

well yeah dhabs...

I honestly believe that unless you find some answers for yourself,

none of the things other people press on you will matter. Mormons

think they are doing the good thing, but is getting more sheep for

the flock a good thing? I would much rather see a convention of

sheppards who can all stand alone yet still know they are on the

same path. And most of the *sheep* aren't happy with what they have.

It's really easy to live a miserable life and go to church on Sunday

and think that everything will be good in the afterlife. Well if there is

some reward/punishment at the end of this life, it would take an entire

life to earn that reward. People should be able to have a few black

marks on their record without being labeled as 'bad' for ever. I mean

look at all the felons who have found religion and then made serious

efforts to improve themselves and their community. They might be

a little brainwashed, but if they've found a life outside of crime,

great for them.

damn... I'm running with this thread.

I think that there is a god. If you look into all the crazy miracles and bleeding statues and stigmatas and etc. it makes you think. Like my mom was telling me one time how when she was young there was this lady from mexico or some shit like that who came here because she was real religious and was about to be promoted to some high status and the day she left some statues in her church did that bleeding shit and on the way she was saying how she got some kind if crazy message and the first night she was here there was a really bad storm like the worst we ever had and she died in her sleep. So I don't know but crazy shit like that makes me believe. I don't think about god that much and I havn't prayed since I was like 4 and I havn't been in church since about 5th grade but I do believe I just don't base my life around a church.

Originally posted by Kilo7-

why not indeed?

would charity exist without religion?

I think not.

What do charity and religion have to do with each other? Well sure, somewhat but they not dependant on each other. I can give a dollar to a hobo without telling him to worship Allah, right?

Originally posted by Dirty_habiT

... Like Mormons knocking on my door, that makes me furious.

That cracked me up. Because around these parts that happens too often.

My wife is a Jehovah's Witness so I get to hear all about how their religion is the right one and all other religions have major faults. And she loves to point them out for me. She'll get frustrated with people on street corners preaching out loud, saying that it says in the bible not to do that. Yet on the next block there's a JW handing out the Watchtower. Not forcing anyone o take itmind you but still there on the corner with a copie for the taking. A lot less forceful than the guy at the other corner screaming in your ear. I can handle the morning visits from Mormons and I can handle my wife's family. What I can't handle is the hipocritical nature that tends to come along with religion. And being that I'm completely against religion it has made that part of our marriage interesting.

What I find more interesting is that a guy on the street corner can preach all day long, as loud as he wants... with large signs backing his words up and that's okay. No one steps in. But as soon as a guy wearing all black holding a sign that says "Satan loves you too" and reading from the satanic bible, he's arrested. Why? What's wrong with his view? Is it not a religion? Is he not aloud his own personal opinion like the other cat? Was he doing any more harm than the next guy? No. For some reason though... he found himself in jail. And I think that's wrong. Not because I'm on the satanic side of the bible belt but because he had every right to be there as the next guy.

Joker...I work with a JW and I get to hear all about it as well. While its not "illegal" to marry outside of the religion, I know its seriously frowned upon. What do her parents think about her marrying a heathen like you? One of the things I find most interesting in witnesses is their refusal to take anyone else's blood or organs...due to their belief that theirs is sacred.

I was born and raised Catholic, but I don't go to church anymore. I kinda think of myself as a cathoholic now. All the guilt and drinking, but non practicing. My general thoughts on religion as a whole are that they are all just different interpretations (mainly geological) on the same belief that there is a god. Granted there are some religions that I think are complete horse-shit.

I also think that religion in general helps keep the world a civil civilization. Just think what the world would be like if there wasn't the fear of being responsible for your actions on earth. One of the funny things I've found is that a majority of people that don't believe in god...somehow believe in Karma.

Register for a 12ozProphet forum account or sign in to comment

You need to be a forum member in order to comment. Forum accounts are separate from shop accounts.

Create an account

Register to become a 12ozProphet forum member.

Register a new account

Sign in

Already have an account? Sign in here.

Sign In Now