Search In
  • More options...
Find results that contain...
Find results in...
nang'eds!

WHY DO PEOPLE BELIEVE IN GOD?

Originally posted by Rodney Trotter

All religion, and religious books are the work of man. You're born, you reproduce, you die, the end. That's all there is. Have fun!

you seem pretty sure, what are your sources?

My sources are my complete life experiences. I've never come across a single solitary piece of evidence that would point me to believing that there is a higher being/after life, but I have come across countless instances and examples that would lead me to think the contrary. And you can't deny that all religion is man made. The bible/koran etc is the word of god? On whose authority - another man's of course. I've weighed up the odds, and thats the conclusion I have come to.

Originally posted by Rodney Trotter

My sources are my complete life experiences. I've never come across a single solitary piece of evidence that would point me to believing that there is a higher being/after life, but I have come across countless instances and examples that would lead me to think the contrary. And you can't deny that all religion is man made. The bible/koran etc is the word of god? On whose authority - another man's of course. I've weighed up the odds, and thats the conclusion I have come to.

and i'm inclined to agree with you. amen

I think people believe in God because it saves them having to work out the meaning of life for themselves. The downside of this is that all their life experiences are veiwed in context with the book of rules handed to them by their chosen God.

If you don't believe in a God you can evaluate all your life experiences youself and come to your own conclusions. You can take an independant view on moral issues without having to abide by a book of rules that may be out of date with way society has progressed and developed throughout history.

My real problem with believing in a God is that those who do often support organised religions who have been responsible for wars, persecutions and segregation for the last few thousand years. These immensely wealthy institutions could afford to pay off the third world debt, end starvation and build hospitals and schools for all the worlds poor.

But they don't.

They argue and amass wealth. They cause war and engender hatred. It's a frightening fact that if I were to mention one word here against some mainsteam Gods they would send an assassin round to kill me. This is a fact. Gods and their supporters are highly jealous and defensive. On the surface they are all love, doves, sweetness and light. But underneath they support murder, persecution, genocide and war.

Look around you. Past or present, history supports this.

God is good...

He's reassurance that things happen for a reason, He's the one you can turn to with the things you can't tell anyone else, He's an invisible ally when you are all alone...

He has a REALLY fucking cool house/place

He can see everything like Santa

He has probably helped your favorite team win

He MIGHT be able to make a rock so heavy that even he Himself cannot lift it

He can probably fly

He... uh... invented trees and sharks and blimps and boogers

He also does the dirty bits you don't want to do yourself...

He makes the rules; He passes judgement...

you people who don't beleive in god, what do you do when things become more than you can bear ? i know it's easy to look down upon religion and say it's for the weak, hell, i get the urge to do that myself sometimes, but when worse comes to worse, what do you do ? me, i rely on god when there's nothing else. i know i need to rely on god more often, it makes for a calmer person.

Originally posted by ARCEL

you people who don't beleive in god, what do you do when things become more than you can bear ? i know it's easy to look down upon religion and say it's for the weak, hell, i get the urge to do that myself sometimes, but when worse comes to worse, what do you do ? me, i rely on god when there's nothing else. i know i need to rely on god more often, it makes for a calmer person.

i rely on myself.

I look into myself... I have faith but it's mostly based on logic and fatalism... I don't believe in God or ask for support or anything, I just have faith that life will go on, any personal conflict of trouble is insignificant in the greater schame of things, which I consider to be quite disorganized and unordered... maybe it's luck, maybe it's hope but no matter what happens, if I'm alive I must remain.

I suppose I'm closer to a buddhist than an atheist, but perhaps even closer to agnosticism.

what about when relying on yourself just dosen't cut it ? if you are telling me you have never been in a situation like that, i envy you

in response to ng

Originally posted by ARCEL

what about when relying on yourself just dosen't cut it ?

What are you talking about? I lost my mother when I was 15, I've lost an Uncle and both Grandmothers, I've lost 9 VERY close friends to drugs, cars and suicide. I've lost every girl I've ever loved. I've lost my passion to write, and to 'write' and to really write music. I've lost everything but... I remain, what would you have me do?

One could make an argument that God is inside us all, and MANY do, but I choose to believe that I am God and just as impotent as any God in the Bible.

If you truly do believe in God and follow the bible, or whichever book you may try desperately to understand, you wouldn't be a writer. Unless, of course, you're a legal eagle wall painter. If you bomb, hit freights or transit, put up stickers... any of that kind of stuff... and you believe in God and the bible, well then... you're living a lie. You might as well be Catholic.

Hahahaa.... I love religious wars. I've argued religion and politics tooooooo many times to even feel like trying my hand at this one. You all are doing a good job (heh not to *judge* anyone).

Originally posted by Smart

One could make an argument that God is inside us all, and MANY do, but I choose to believe that I am God and just as impotent as any God in the Bible.

I think the word you were looking for is 'important'.

im·po·tent ( P ) Pronunciation Key (mp-tnt)

adj.

1. Lacking physical strength or vigor; weak.

2. Lacking in power, as to act effectively; helpless: “Technology without morality is barbarous; morality without technology is impotent” (Freeman J. Dyson).

1. Incapable of sexual intercourse, often because of an inability to achieve or sustain an erection.

2. Sterile. Used of males.

4. Obsolete. Lacking self-restraint.

No dude, I think he meant impotent. hahaha, bzzzz try again.

Hmm, I am very well aware of what impotent means, thank you Dirty. In the context of what he was talking about, I think he meant to say important.

Come on Smart, what did you mean to say???

Ok, he was saying that he was JUST AS impotent as any god in the bible because the god in the bible can't do anything more than Smart can. And I don't think he would've fucked that word up, good try though... I still vote for you're wrong. Important is middle school vocabulary.

ok then Joker....

So if you're a strict folower of the faith then you shouldnt be writing?

I do agree that all of the major religions are strongly against acts

of mischief (especially the Islamics) but again those books are ment

as a guide, not as a law. It's only the men of the cloth that made these

words into law. And think about this one for a minute....

Do you (Joker) feel that you've been given a gift with art?

Sure you work hard at what you do and it's been a long path

to where you are now, but dont you ever wonder 'Why me?'

Ever suppose that you have found the path you're supposed to

be on though this lifetime? Not every creature has to live like a

monk to be doing God's work. I personally think that reaching your

absolute potential is the only thing we can really do to appease

this higher power. Dogma and ritual is NOT why we are here.

I think we are here to used the gifts and the blessings we have.

If there is a 'Dude-God' in the sky watching us, the one thing that

must truly bother him is a life squandered.

Writing your name on things is nothing compared to that.

Guest T E A S E R

peep the sig... :lol:

i have lost faith... in everything and everyone.

if there's a god how come there are so many religions and beliefs?

i don't believe in god because of social, political, historical, scientific reasons....and because i take responsibillity for my own actions.

all those holy books are primitive works of crap written by superstitious men several hundred years ago.it's a myth to me how people in this modern society still rely on their answers based on such garbage.aren't you an individual enough to make your own mind about what's right and wrong?there's a "god" within each of us.

^ those who forget the past are condemend to repeat it.

It's really easy to say that the old ways are out of touch

with how things should be done now, but there was some

truth to it all. The simple rules of human decency and right vs.

wrong haven't changed that much. Again it's not the words that

matter in the ancient texts, it's the spirit of those words and how

that spirit gives people stregnth.

example:

Back in the day pigs were filthy poison that you should eat.

The religious leaders of the day said 'Dont eat swine' and many

people lived because of those rules. Well pork is fine to eat today

but many people choose not to. Why? Because it's a very simple

act that gives them more conviction. They dont have to sacrafice

their first born son, but they can offer a sacrifice to something

bigger than them.

People these days try to over complicate religion.

Religion is not an elaborate 'matrix' code that you

need to decypher. It's as simple as wathing a seed become a tree

and admiting that there's no way for us to understand it's true nature.

Guest WebsterUno
Originally posted by Kilo7-

Think about some old woman...

Thats what Im talking about.

I think the only real bad things

I do is paint, and puff on some reefer.

I do a lot of things for people.

I give homeless people change.

Ive served up breakfast and lunch

on thanksgiving for a homeless shelter.

I repspect my elders. I dont fight people

for no reason. I never killed anyone.

I dont steal from people. Basically,

I try to follow a straight path, except

for 2 things. If there is a God, Im hoping

he wont trip on that stuff, and my ghetto

pass into heaven wont get revoked.

One thing that always gets me.

I always get people wanting me to

attend their church. I refrain from

going because of what I said about not

knowing what is the truth. Plus, I would

feel like Im lying to myself. I know

most of the people wouldnt understand

what Im all about, and would not accept

my faults. They would most likely expect

me to change my 'bad ways'. I tell them

Im a good person, and that I dont need to

go to church to prove that. They say I need

to go anyway, to hear the word of god and

praise him. I dont know..to me its like kissing

ass to get into heaven.

Register for a 12ozProphet forum account or sign in to comment

You need to be a forum member in order to comment. Forum accounts are separate from shop accounts.

Create an account

Register to become a 12ozProphet forum member.

Register a new account

Sign in

Already have an account? Sign in here.

Sign In Now