WHY DO PEOPLE BELIEVE IN GOD?

nang'eds!

This forum is supported by the 12ozProphet Shop, so go buy a shirt and help support!
This forum is brought to you by the 12ozProphet Shop.
This forum is brought to you by the 12oz Shop.
  • Replies 157
  • Created
  • Last Reply
Originally posted by Glik0

your job must really, really, reeeeeally suck.

au contraire mon frere,

My job is increbile. I love this job.

Sometimes I have to pull marathons but it sure

beats working in retail or some factory. I mean really,

this is the kind of job some people spend years in school

to get but they still end up being clerks at blockbuster.

And the pay is pretty good too!

"pain is weakness leaving the body" - the marines...

( i read this on some girls shirt today @ school.)

i'm a god person. i believe in god, just because. no real reason or evidence or nothin... its just something i believe. its kinda like love, you can't really prove love exists, but you know its there.

well without sounding all smug,

I really think that it's possible to find a new relationship

with a higher power that isn't follwing the traditional BS

that the Roman Catholic church wants you to deal with.

It really becomes a personal thing you have to discover.

I think that every needs to find their own faith.

Doing exactly what the church or your parents suggest

wont actually make you a believer. I think going out into

the forrest and standing next to a giant redwood while holding

a seed in your hand is proof enough that there's so much more

than our 'puny little minds' will ever really be able to understand.

Originally posted by Kilo7-

au contraire mon frere,

My job is increbile. I love this job.

Sometimes I have to pull marathons but it sure

beats working in retail or some factory. I mean really,

this is the kind of job some people spend years in school

to get but they still end up being clerks at blockbuster.

And the pay is pretty good too!

Damn you for having a job you can actually like.

But alas you're Canadian so I get the last laugh.

Haha cheers mate.

unless the job is something you like,

marathon shifts will kill you. Personally I think the only

good marathons are the ones in bed.

and glik0... when you dodge the next draft, I'll buy you a moosehead*

*that's a beer.

Originally posted by Grandola

"pain is weakness leaving the body" - the marines...

( i read this on some girls shirt today @ school.)

i'm a god person. i believe in god, just because. no real reason or evidence or nothin... its just something i believe. its kinda like love, you can't really prove love exists, but you know its there.

Now that sums it up.....

This is my view i believe in god and jesus i do believe that jesus has come to earth to fix it up when it got hektic and jesus will return soon to fix it up again because you have to agree it is getting worse,

anyways god has set these rules to go by to keep humanity in check so we have a conciense whenever we commit sins, but as you all know humans are fuck ups we can be good and we can also be evil its human nature (when we ate the apple it gave us knowledge of good and bad so giving us bad thoughts). (later on in the bible it says that god was upset for what we were thinking but then realised that it is what we chose and got over it).

we are curious like when god said dont eat that apple we had to go and eat it. It's just plain curiosity we like to learn about things (science)

we are still shit breeds when we get to evolve use a bit more brain capacity i think we will evolve into a god-like creature (god made us in his reflection/form/of himself whatever) meaning he made us exactly like him

probalby no where near as powerful but pretty close when we can control ourselves

religion can be hard to understand because you havent seen it for yourself but trust me its there true

ever tried praying and when your finished you are swept with calmness or when you enter church you feel at peace?

anyways thats it for now.

the idea of being alone. and alone is a perpetual fear for the majority of people so they seek some sort of refuge and God just happens to be the best choice..

when i think of religion i think of people who devour themselves in dependence on something that is so erroneous its unheard of.. its all social pressures, the same fucking process..kids are raised by christian parents and forced into a world of christianity..they are raised as a christian and as they get older it becomes so permanent to them that they know nothing else or will accept anything else...when i was in 6th grade i felt my self saying "i need to be a christian because everybody else is".. christianity is a social pressure

what is good? what is bad? why cant you form your own principles? why must you follow a pre set life of pre planned standards? of course that can be seen in modern day society with.. eat.work.sleep. birth.school.college.family.death.

its more like this whole fuckin society has turned into robots who somehow obtained an emotional chip.

nobody questions anymore..

i can get more into this but later

Enjoy reading the Bible

It is an amazing book. One of my favorite passages, which is often quoted by ultra-fundamentalists, is Mark 16:15. It's what Jesus said to the eleven faithful disciples when he rose again from the dead--he was rebuking them for their lack of faith:

"Go into all the world and preach the good news to all creation. Whosoever believes and is baptized will be saved, but whoever does not believe will be condemned. AND THESE SIGNS WILL ACCOMPANY THOSE WHO BELIEVE: In my name, they will drive out demons, they will speak in new tongues, they will PICK UP SNAKES WITH THEIR HANDS, and when they drink deadly poison, it will not hurt them at all, they will place their hands on sick people and they will get well."

Well, this makes for some VERY interesting church services, let me tell you! Ain't nothing like a box of rattlesnakes and a quart jar of strychnine to spice up your typical Methodist 11:00 Sunday service, by golly. You go up there to the mountains of North Carolina, and buddy, they take their faith SERIOUSLY, LOL. Speaking in tongues, snake handling, drinking diluted strychnine, faith healing by the laying on of hands and pleadin' the Blood. Hell, yeah. And first-class fiddle and banjo music accompanying the hymns, too.

And in addition to that (as if that wasn't enough) I have some acquaintences who are polygamists, as well. One guy and his wives lives right here in Houston.

My sources are my complete life experiences. I've never come across a single solitary piece of evidence that would point me to believing that there is a higher being/after life, but I have come across countless instances and examples that would lead me to think the contrary. And you can't deny that all religion is man made. The bible/koran etc is the word of god? On whose authority - another man's of course. I've weighed up the odds, and thats the conclusion I have come to.

Originally posted by Rodney Trotter

My sources are my complete life experiences. I've never come across a single solitary piece of evidence that would point me to believing that there is a higher being/after life, but I have come across countless instances and examples that would lead me to think the contrary. And you can't deny that all religion is man made. The bible/koran etc is the word of god? On whose authority - another man's of course. I've weighed up the odds, and thats the conclusion I have come to.

and i'm inclined to agree with you. amen

I think people believe in God because it saves them having to work out the meaning of life for themselves. The downside of this is that all their life experiences are veiwed in context with the book of rules handed to them by their chosen God.

If you don't believe in a God you can evaluate all your life experiences youself and come to your own conclusions. You can take an independant view on moral issues without having to abide by a book of rules that may be out of date with way society has progressed and developed throughout history.

My real problem with believing in a God is that those who do often support organised religions who have been responsible for wars, persecutions and segregation for the last few thousand years. These immensely wealthy institutions could afford to pay off the third world debt, end starvation and build hospitals and schools for all the worlds poor.

But they don't.

They argue and amass wealth. They cause war and engender hatred. It's a frightening fact that if I were to mention one word here against some mainsteam Gods they would send an assassin round to kill me. This is a fact. Gods and their supporters are highly jealous and defensive. On the surface they are all love, doves, sweetness and light. But underneath they support murder, persecution, genocide and war.

Look around you. Past or present, history supports this.

God is good...

He's reassurance that things happen for a reason, He's the one you can turn to with the things you can't tell anyone else, He's an invisible ally when you are all alone...

He has a REALLY fucking cool house/place

He can see everything like Santa

He has probably helped your favorite team win

He MIGHT be able to make a rock so heavy that even he Himself cannot lift it

He can probably fly

He... uh... invented trees and sharks and blimps and boogers

He also does the dirty bits you don't want to do yourself...

He makes the rules; He passes judgement...

you people who don't beleive in god, what do you do when things become more than you can bear ? i know it's easy to look down upon religion and say it's for the weak, hell, i get the urge to do that myself sometimes, but when worse comes to worse, what do you do ? me, i rely on god when there's nothing else. i know i need to rely on god more often, it makes for a calmer person.

Originally posted by ARCEL

you people who don't beleive in god, what do you do when things become more than you can bear ? i know it's easy to look down upon religion and say it's for the weak, hell, i get the urge to do that myself sometimes, but when worse comes to worse, what do you do ? me, i rely on god when there's nothing else. i know i need to rely on god more often, it makes for a calmer person.

i rely on myself.

I look into myself... I have faith but it's mostly based on logic and fatalism... I don't believe in God or ask for support or anything, I just have faith that life will go on, any personal conflict of trouble is insignificant in the greater schame of things, which I consider to be quite disorganized and unordered... maybe it's luck, maybe it's hope but no matter what happens, if I'm alive I must remain.

I suppose I'm closer to a buddhist than an atheist, but perhaps even closer to agnosticism.

Archived