Fun with Starbucks.

ODS-1

Originally posted by ODS-1

Starbucks sued some girl cos she had her own business callled Sam Buck's.(Her name was Sam Buck). Sure enough they put her out o business.

Fuck mooning starbucks customers, Drive a fuckin tank through the window lol.

They didn't put her out of business, they made her change her name. If she had to close then she probably wasted a big chunk of change in a futile fight... I'm sure opened in the last few years AFTER the Starbucks chain was already globa.

Ah... see, I was right...

October 2000, Samantha Buck of Astoria, Oregon bought a small coffee shop in downtown Astoria and named it Sam Buck's - after herself. One year later, Starbucks Coffee opened a Starbucks store inside Fred Meyers, five miles away. Starbucks lawyers then served Samantha Buck with a cease and desist order: she must stop using her own name on her store, because they claimed it was causing confusion for Starbucks customers who might be led to believe they were patronizing a Starbucks' store when in fact, they were going into Sam Bucks. They offered her $500 for the expense of removing her name from her store.

Sam said no thank you, and soon thereafter, Starbucks filed a lawsuit. She must rename her store or an injunction will be filed, and assuming a properly corporate-friendly judge, will likely be issued and enforced. If Sam Buck continues to use her name on her store, she can be found in contempt of court, and can be jailed.

This forum is supported by the 12ozProphet Shop, so go buy a shirt and help support!
This forum is brought to you by the 12ozProphet Shop.
This forum is brought to you by the 12oz Shop.
  • Replies 89
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Re: Re: Fun with Starbucks.

Originally posted by Dr. Dazzle

These are the absolute gayest crank calls in the history of mankind. But I'm sure your junior high chums lapped it up when you told them in the cafeteria.....

pshh, i bet he's in 4th grade. that shit was MADD wack.:nope:

Guest WebsterUno

*believe*

Originally posted by willy.wonka

jamba juice is another place i like to "MOON"..they're always kinda right next to each other.

I thought I was the only one to notice that.

They all are together, or near each other.

Usually, you see them, at least, in the same shopping

center, or right next to each other...strange.

They both offer competitive wages, and benefit

packages. They start you at $10 an hour over

here..thats fucking good to serve up some coffee

and blended fucking fruit. They put money in

folks pockets, cant be mad at that. Sadly, some

people wont work for Starbucks, cuzz its Corporate

Coffee..like seeking said..."whhaaa"!

lil babies!

:lol:

Guest WebsterUno

*believe*

Oh...and..theyre giving jobs to people

that look like they could never get a job elsewhere.

I see people working there with piercings in their

faces, tatoos, and spiked fuckin hair, ripped jeans

...so they cant be THAT bad.

;)

ok,

it's actually a very good idea to make up names for things that already exist. it makes a company stand out from the rest. if starbucks didn't name thier mediums grande and thier smalls tall then they would be just like every other coffee shop.

there's a lesson for you in making money.

oh yeah, jamba juice/starbucks/hollywood video seem to follow each other around. im not sure if they are actually some how linked corporately (is that a word?) or if they just land in the same areas.

all 3 companies have a good "find new locations" team (i dont know what they are actually called).

and that is all.

when did raiseagainst change his name to ods?

topic:

ill get my coffee wherever i damn well please

be it a indie or starbucks, theyre still getting too much of my money

so let them all burn in hell when i start growing my own

The espresso shot thing happened to me too, I almost hit the guy. He asked me you want a what? probably six times. And you don't know how many times I've been driven to sceaming just give me a fucking cup of coffee... Don't get me started on the I'll have a diet non-fat soy bean chai cream mocha with extra syrup and a caramel twist...

Originally posted by Milton

The espresso shot thing happened to me too, I almost hit the guy. He asked me you want a what?

It's hell I know.

The guys actually asked me how I want him to make it

like that would give him a clue. I told him "you take a tall

espresso shot and put it in a small cup for me, ok?"

'What's a tall shot?'

grrrrr.....

Aww. Poor little baby can't get his daily fix of Red40, Blue lake, yellow 20, 700 kagililion milligrams of caffeine, oxy chloride whatever. Awww.

SUCK IT UP YOU FUCKING BABIES.! IF I EVER SEE YOU I'M NOT THROWIN HOT COFFEE IN YOUR FACE I'M THROWIN HYDROCHLOURIC ACID IN YOUR MOTHERFUCKIN FACE!

Originally posted by iloveboxcars

starbucks is actually one of the most enviromentally concious corporations out there.

call walmart.

they have you fooled

Ever heard of free trade coffee? well starfucks hasn't, and if you had you'd take that comment back.

Dont get me wrong, I used to enjoy the drinks, but after research I've decided that my thirst should not be at the expence and suffereing of people in 3rd world countries who supply the bucks with beans. In a nutshell they buy beans at cost's far below what these farmers should be paid (considering what that fucking corp. charges for a cup) and these people have no choice but to comply. I dunno, you struck a cord and I dont usually burst talk about shit like this but do some research! There is more to these corporations than meets the eye, friendly staff and easy on the eye store's on every corner is cool, but there is more.

Now this comming from a Canadian, imagine that.

Look it up, and look thru the shit.

k im done now

Yeah, that is so true. fuck third world labour, it is disgusting. Plus the money from the over priced cofee your buying go's to barbra fucking Streisand and that lady has got enough money as it is. So everyone think and go to mcdeez before they next purchase something from that ludicrously over priced cofee bar....

fair trade is very different from environmental concerns.

I think that at the moment less than 1% is fair-trade coffee.

Certainly Tim Hortons, Starbucks, and all the local chains

dont use fair trade beans. You'll only find them at rare speciality

shops that sell a cup of coffee for every gallon starbucks sells.

Fair trade is a great idea but it will be a long time before

any of the huge coffee re-sellers put the human condition

above the bottom line. And just because it's not labeled 'fair trade'

doesn't mean the people picking the beans are being treated like

people working in a nike factory.

It's like a can of tuna.

All cans of tuna sold in North America are 'dolphin friendly'

but not every can is called 'Dolphin friendly Tuna'. Sometimes

the industry can self-regulate before the gov't has to impose on them.

Originally posted by TEE_rase_war

they have you fooled

Ever heard of free trade coffee? well starfucks hasn't, and if you had you'd take that comment back.

Dont get me wrong, I used to enjoy the drinks, but after research I've decided that my thirst should not be at the expence and suffereing of people in 3rd world countries who supply the bucks with beans. In a nutshell they buy beans at cost's far below what these farmers should be paid (considering what that fucking corp. charges for a cup) and these people have no choice but to comply. I dunno, you struck a cord and I dont usually burst talk about shit like this but do some research! There is more to these corporations than meets the eye, friendly staff and easy on the eye store's on every corner is cool, but there is more.

Exactly.

And I tried crank calling again but they realized who it was. They laughed and hung up .

• 4 weeks later...
Originally posted by ODS-1

Starbucks sued some girl cos she had her own business callled Sam Buck's.(Her name was Sam Buck). Sure enough they put her out o business.

Fuck mooning starbucks customers, Drive a fuckin tank through the window lol.

I read in this month's Fortune magazine that Starbucks is taking legal action against a coffee chain in China (I think), whose name is Starbucks Coffee Chain, but in Chinese... with a similar logo to boot.

The funny thing is, the article implied that any legal battle would seriously cost Starbucks and that they were unlikely to be able to nip this problem in the bud.

Originally posted by Kilo7-

Fair trade is a great idea but it will be a long time before

any of the huge coffee re-sellers put the human condition

above the bottom line.

I think that's the point... I'm more than a little dillusioned by the ethics surrounding large corporations who, by their very nature, are answerable to their share holders who demand a return on their money above all else.

So what if Fortune rated Starbucks as one of the top 100 employers in the US? In my experience, companies will do anything to keep you whilst you are invaluable to them, but once you become expendable, you are straight out the door.

Starbucks - as long as they are making their money...

Originally posted by seeking

i think by 'child labor' he was refering to them using children to pick and process the coffee beans in columbia or wherever they come from.

because folgers and hills bros. are all employing out of work 20 something civil engineers, right?

and because there is alot of other options for employment in the fucking mountains of columbia right? and because picking coffee is so labor intensive, i mean, you have to but up high on those ladders, and...er wait, i mean, forget it.

people that hate on starbucks are pathetic little fucks with home made anarchy tattoos, or one too many spins of the old rage against the machine cd.

starbucks was named in furtunes '100 best companies to work for'. now i find it incredibly hard to believe that they would be treatiing their american employees so well, but their south american suppliers like complete shit. call me skeptical, but whatever.

as someone said before, personally, i dont give a shit if the little coffee shops go out of business. if thats the case, then they obviously werent that dope to begin with. people go to starbucks because its convenient, not because they want to sit there for 5 hours playing fucking chess. small coffee shops are basically set up to be lucky if they break even. there simply isnt much money in scones and lattes. but thts not the point.

so starbucks is putting a franchise on every street corner. obviously someone wants them there, since every single one of them is always full of people. they are basically creating their market as they go along. there were not small coffee shops on every corner before starbucks moved in, people just didnt drink much coffee. but now its the cool thing to do. whaaaa. whatever. im not mad at starbucks. they're paying their employees a hell of alot more money than they would be making at 'tim's java shack' ill fucking gurantee it. plus, they get benefits. how many folks do you know working at 'tina's beanery' that get a 401K, and a comprehensive dental plan? ZERO. if every business treated their employees as starbucks did, society as a whole would be alot better off.

anyway, that was far longer than was warranted, but whatever. it pisses me off listening to 16 year old rich kids bitch about 'capitalism', when they have no fucking clue what they're talking about.

false prophets are worse than blind ignorance.

thank you and good night.

Once again, you hit the nail right on the head, brother. When I was living in SF, I would come into work with a Starbucks cup in my hand, and catch wreck from every motherfucker in the joint, talking bout "Why didn't you go to so&so's coffee, they're right next to Starbucks, and they're a smaller outfit that treats their....blahblahblah...." My reply was always simple "Their coffee sucks, and don't worry, they won't be ""Right next to Starbucks"" for very much longer." There are more ignorant people who jump on the "boycott big industry" bandwagon than there are ignorant people who actually shop at Wal-mart, and drink Starbucks coffee. (Don't get me wrong, you can walk into any Wal-Mart in this country on any given day, and find plenty of ignorant...well, downright inbred-stupid people.) Point being- Assholes are always gonna be assholes, and haters are always gonna hate the best. Big business makes sense.

Archived