Search In
  • More options...
Find results that contain...
Find results in...
Sign in to follow this  
Poop Man Bob

Computer help - installing a second hard drive.

Sooooooooooo ...

I'm installing a second hard drive as a slave. I've got it mounted in the appropriate bracket, set to slave, etc.

The problem comes when I try to attach the EIDE ribbon to the new drive. The connector which is supposed to attach to the slave/new drive is already attached to my ZIP drive (this connector). The other two connectors are attached to the master/old drive and the drive cage.

If I want to install the new drive, will I have to unplug the ZIP drive connection and forgo its future use? This really isn't a problem, as I can start using CDs as an option for large-scale data storage. But I'm still interested in whether there's a way for me to use both the slave/new drive and the ZIP.

Thanks in advance.

And to prevent this thread from being completely boring, here's an old picture of me:

http://fattydave.homestead.com/files/Picture_026.jpg'>

And a picture of me melting my face:

http://fattydave.homestead.com/files/DaveUglyGradParty.JPG'>

Yes, each IDE channel can only support 2 devices. If both of your channels have 2 on them already, and you need everything, the best thing to do would be buy a cheap EIDE controller card and attach the new device to that.

Register for a 12ozProphet forum account or sign in to comment

You need to be a forum member in order to comment. Forum accounts are separate from shop accounts.

Create an account

Register to become a 12ozProphet forum member.

Register a new account

Sign in

Already have an account? Sign in here.

Sign In Now
Sign in to follow this