idenifiers on boxcars

Guest SPFlatty

Guest SPFlatty

does anyone know about the little gray identifiers or whatever they are on boxcars (usually located on the right panel in the blackbox area)? i've heard the workers scan some sort of card into these things and they can see where the box has been. my real questions is if these things are painted on, does it do any damage, damage that could make obvious where it was painted?

i do my best to not make it anymore difficult on the railworkers, i just want to make sure i havent disturbed the flow of a job that needs to be done...

This forum is supported by the 12ozProphet Shop, so go buy a shirt and help support!
This forum is brought to you by the 12ozProphet Shop.
This forum is brought to you by the 12oz Shop.

those are called AEI tags. they work on a weak RF signal, so its proximity, not any kind of optical scanning. The workers will have a big scanning gun that looks like the kind you use if you do inventory at a department store, it reads the stored info from the AEI tag so they have the correct info.

At least those things work, I remember the actual barcode strips from the 70's, (not that Im that old) with the "reading post" located at yards, those barcodes didn't work to well once the grime collected on cars and engines though...

Guest schick1

shit i paint over those things alot, does that mean it will get buffed?

here is what i stay off of: the main number(yeah im stupid), load lmit and the number below it on the left panel, and the black box on the right panel. so should i stay of the thing a majigs at the bottom of panels that they scan?

Guest me IS cool

I had no idea what those things were for. I walways painted them wondering what the hell their purpose was. Thanks for the new knowledge. :king:

Archived