Alienware

S@T@N

This forum is supported by the 12ozProphet Shop, so go buy a shirt and help support!
This forum is brought to you by the 12ozProphet Shop.
This forum is brought to you by the 12oz Shop.

CPU - $269

Motherboard (with onboard LAN) - $80

Memory - $166

Video card - $400

HDD - $111

DVD - $25

CDRW - $40

FDD - $8

Sound card - $63

XP Professional - Free

$1,162 total

Now that's without the monitor, speakers, and the pretty case with the neon lights. Those flat panel monitors suck for playing games anyway. 19" monitor for around $150 isn't hard to find and you can get a decent speaker system for a couple hundred bucks. So at most you would need to add an extra $400 onto that total I came up with. And the prices are for the same exact product that is in that Alienware system. Now, what to do with that extra $1,500?

Well considering that the onboard lan would not have the capabilities of a purchased one. And he's not getting a flat screen monitor, he's buying a flat CRT, similar to my 22" flat CRT that I'm staring at. And that 64$ sound card would be no where near the quality of the Audigy 2. Simply put. What processor would you be putting in for $269? Why not just go with a Barton XP 3000+ for $255? And what $80 motherboard? But as I've said, it is a name you're paying for.

My desktop system(as of now):

Crappy ECS K7S6A Motherboard - $75

Thoroughbred Athlon XP 1800+ CPU - $60

Two PNY 512 MB PC2100 DDR RAM sticks - $170

Memorex 52x24x52 CD-RW - $99

Pioneer DVD-Rom 8x - Don't Remember

Case with 400W PS - $50

GeForce 3 Ti400 - Dont Remember

Western Digital 40&60 GB 7200 RPM HDD - Don't Remember

Soundblaster Surround Sound Audio Card - Don't Remember

Lan Card - Don't Remember

22" MAG Flat CRT monitor - I Don't Remember

Basically I built this computer like a year and a half almost two years ago. And the prices on there are as of now. It's still just as good as any Dell put out now.

Laptop System:

Processor Mobile AMD Athlon XP-M 2400+

Memory 512 MB DDR (PC2100)

Hard Drive 40 GB

Display 15.4" Widescreen TFT LCD

DVD/CD-RW Combo (CD-read 24x; CD-write 24x; CD-rewrite 10x; DVD-read 8x)

Video ATI RADEON IGP 320M 64 MB

Sound PC2001 Compliant AC '97 Audio

Built-in Stereo Speakers

Modem 56K* ITU v.92 Ready Fax/Modem

Network Integrated 802.11g Wireless LAN, 10/100Mbps Built-in Ethernet Card

Ports / Other 3 USB 2.0 ports, 1 IEEE 1394, 1 VGA external connector, 1 S–Video Out, Microphone In, Line Out, PCMCIA Slots (Card Bus type I and type II)

Pointing Device Touchpad with vertical Scroll Zone

The onboard LAN has the same capabilities as the card.

The processor I'm talking about is the 400 MHz front side bus. The one you are talking about is 266 MHz and actually costs $239.

Those flat panel monitors suck ass unless you are working in an office and don't play video games.

Sound card is the same one that is in the Alienware system.

The $80 motherboard is the same one that is in the Alienware system plus onboard LAN.

All the shit I priced out is the exact same shit that is in the Alienware system.

I did forget to put a case and power supply in there though, but with an extra $1,500 left over you might be able to manage.

alienware makes nice systems, but id rather build one myself....all together i put in about 1,800 into mine over a year, hopefully i wont have to upgrade again for another year....runs the games i play at highest resoloutions no problem....the good thing about the system that you bought is you probably wont have to upgrade for a minute, plus alienware doesnt package a bunch of useless bloatware....if i had to buy a manufactured pc, id probably get an alienware....