the cali recall

Guest BROWNer

This forum is supported by the 12ozProphet Shop, so go buy a shirt and help support!
This forum is brought to you by the 12ozProphet Shop.
This forum is brought to you by the 12oz Shop.

stranger than fiction

there have been recalls before, but now with the media/entertainment basically forming a party on their own, it's gotten frightening

whenever i see news coverage on it, it seems made up.

i mean, ah nold?!

California has a long history of using actors to front politicians.

Anrie has a team of handlers that would probably be able to do

as good a job as anyone. He's just the front to a republican group

of old boys that will call all the shots for him.

and if he wins the election... he cant make anymore movies while he's in office.

There's no way for him to do it without a zillion 'conflict of interest' cases poping up.

Guest BROWNer

i hear arnold is coming with nothing, basically just

lines from his movies, tryin' to be a funny guy, while

coleman actually has ideas. ?

Guest WebsterUno

*believe*

Originally posted by !@#$%

there have been recalls before, but now with the media/entertainment basically forming a party on their own, it's gotten frightening

whenever i see news coverage on it, it seems made up.

my uncle was talking to me about

the time when Reagan had been

thinking about getting into office.

He was thinking, "The actor??!!"

Well, he became president, so

it shouldnt be a surprise when/if Arnie

wins. My uncle was saying, who

better to be a puppet than an actor.

That is their job you know.

:lick:

Re: stranger than fiction

there has been recalls before? for governor? more info please.

I am definatley following this. i said some stuff in another thread and i don't feel like repeating right now but i'm sure i will be back later.

Anybody watch that Bill Maher HBO show,? I think he has some good points about this whole situation, he actually had gray davis on last night. If you can catch it you should, the whole show is pretty good.

i doubt registration has pulled us out of debt... fees to get you on the ballot (with only 100 signatures) are only $3500... and the more sigs you get, the less money you pay... 10,000 sigs and you only pay like $100...

a buddy of mine was trying to get on there (probably woulda stood a good chance in the race if he had, too) but only had 400 sigs and $1500 by the deadline...

I saw some numbers on it the other day.

the current governor has to get 50% of the vote to stay in office.

63% of people polled wanted him out of office.

42% said they'd vote for ah-nold.

and yes...they are having lots of difficulties in deciding how to make the ballots because of all the names. the last plan I heard was to do it alphabetically, but they'd start with a different letter in all of the counties in order for everyone to have a shot at being on the top of the list.

Guest BROWNer

what i ineptly tried to explain in a pathetic couple of sentences earlier:

Cali Recall Shows America's One-Party Politics of Empire

Franz Schurmann, _August 12, 2003

California Recall Shows America's One-Party Politics of Empire, by Franz Schurmann

No doubt about it, the current California "recall" is the first shot fired in an American political war that will be decided on Nov. 2, 2004.

Since the previous presidential election of 2000, the USA has morphed into an empire. As a result, the political stakes are even higher than before. Now, for the American empire to function optimally, the winning party has to win it all -- the presidency, both houses of Congress and governorship of most of the states, especially the big ones. California leads the pack.

Empires are political entities that rule over many diverse peoples and occupy large stretches of land, de facto or de jure. Their imperial concerns outweigh their domestic ones. And their new politics are unrecognizable to the old politicians. In a way, one can say that the USA of 50 states has given way to an America whose interests extend all over the world and even encompass parts of outer space.

Over the last 25 centuries, there have only been a few significant empires -- Roman, Persian, British, Chinese and Spanish. At their zenith, they became prosperous through trade, and their varied peoples enjoyed widespread security due to the empire's vast power to impose it through military power. America now looks like the sixth great empire that can come close to dominating the entire world.

One can get a sense of America's new imperial behavior by the changed handling of earlier problems, such as an indifference to its gargantuan trade deficit. When recently Treasury Secretary John Snow was asked about the huge deficit he simply said, "It's manageable" and moved on to the next question. The White House shows similar indifference toward erstwhile economic demons like inflation and deflation, a weak dollar and enormous public and private debt. Following the hallmarks of empire, instead of tackling deficits America is grappling with global security through the "War on Terror." The protectorates give us their goods and we give them our protection against their enemies from inside as well as from outside.

The biggest goods they give us are oil and natural gas, and the latter is at the core of California's recall. In May 2001, Californians, who gave the Democrats a smashing victory in the 2000 elections, found themselves facing enormous energy bills. Gov. Gray Davis spent huge amounts of money to buy natural gas futures, the idea being that, high as people's energy bills were then, they would be much less than the fixed prices on the specified date for cashing in on the futures. But instead, natural gas prices tumbled worldwide, leaving Californians with bloated contracts, forcing them to pay for gas and electricity well above the market price.

The reason the gas prices plummeted was that Saudi Arabia had just made a deal with the "big seven" Anglo-American oil companies, plus Enron, which specialized in liquid natural gas (LNG) and would quickly introduce large quantities of LNG all over the world. The way it happened was that pipelines, serving both oil and gas, were already available, going to the Saudi port of Yanbu on the Red Sea. The Iraqis had built and owned the pipelines because of a threat to Persian Gulf oil during the 1980-88 war with Iran, but they never used them. However, they were just ready to be used by Enron, and Gray Davis didn't know about it.

If Davis had been a Republican, Energy Secretary Spencer Abraham might have warned him about LNG futures. But after Bush did so badly in California during the 2000 election, thanks to Davis and the AFL-CIO, the Republicans were in no mood to help.

Davis and his fellow Democrats refuse to acknowledge that the USA has morphed into an empire. One big reason for this refusal is that the big unions, a major supporter of the Democrats, would become irrelevant. Davis, a functionary operating with other functionaries, thrives in a heavily bureaucratized USA. Bush, however, knows from his father and from long acquaintance with the oil companies that a greater American empire is swallowing the USA. His familiarity with cowboy capitalism and its swashbuckling CEOs helps him thrive in this new America.

Now Arnold the Terminator has swept into California politics. With his Hollywood connections he is the polar opposite of Gray Davis and his graying AFL-CIO friends. The latter are counting on lower middle class and older Californians to keep the country's biggest welfare state going. Arnie offers little beyond Hollywood. But as a poor Mexican woman once told a reporter who asked about the difference between starving in her village or in an urban dump, "I can dream in the city dump but not in the village." Hollywood is all about selling dreams.

If Davis wins in the recall, it will be a big and likely fatal blow to Bush the empire builder. But if another Republican actor should win the governorship of California, chances are good that on Nov. 2, 2004, Bush will prevail. And the American Empire will march on.

Pacific News Editor Franz Schurmann is emeritus professor of history and sociology at U.C. Berkeley and the author of numerous books.

http://news.pacificnews.org/news/

the ballot will be split into 2 sections

First part

- Do you vote to remove Gov. Gray Davis from office Yes / No

second part

- If you voted yes, who would you have replace him the list of candidates

Re: Re: stranger than fiction

Originally posted by nomadawhat

there has been recalls before? for governor? more info please.

I am definatley following this. i said some stuff in another thread and i don't feel like repeating right now but i'm sure i will be back later.

Anybody watch that Bill Maher HBO show,? I think he has some good points about this whole situation, he actually had gray davis on last night. If you can catch it you should, the whole show is pretty good.

SOME INFO ON RECALL:

(there have been many, but i'm actually sitting here at work and i can't do the searches..try google for more)

Direct Democracy Reforms

Recall

The recall is a direct democracatic procedure that provides for removal of elected officials before their terms expire.

In most circumstances, a petition drive is held to collect a statutory number of signatures from registered voters. If sufficient valid signatures are verified, the matter is placed on the ballot and submitted to the electorate. Depending upon the election results, the official in question is either allowed to complete his term or is removed from office.

The Los Angeles city charter of 1903 was the first in the United States to adopt the recall. In 1908, Oregon became the first state to approve the practice. Today 11 states and hundreds of local governments include recall provisions in their constitutions or charters.

The recall, along with the referendum and initiative, won public attention due to the Populist Party platforms of the 1890s and were advanced as means to stimulate unresponsive government.

and a link to a different recall election article:

http://www.jsonline.com/news/metro/jun03/147248.asp

Originally posted by Kilo7-

the ballot will be split into 2 sections

First part

- Do you vote to remove Gov. Gray Davis from office Yes / No

second part

- If you voted yes, who would you have replace him the list of candidates

This ballot is bad, because you could get 40% vote for NO, and then whoever got the highest percentage of the votes on the second ballot would win. So 40% would elect, essentially, Davis again (with a NO vote), while 20% would elect Arnold S. and the other 40% would be spread through out the other 200+ candidates and ARnold would become the governor. I think it should be one ballot and a vote for Davis would count in the total.

The same reason the Repulican have bought this recall, bad-budget, can be said for the white house, how much is the US in debt since bush took office?

Davis says he has a budget plan to take the debt down to 8 billion over a few years and he has submitted two budget plans but the repulican House will not approve any of his budget plans.

This recall will cost @70 million dollars, that is not budgeted for, for a state in such debt and that being the reason for the recall, it doesn't make sence.

and for the question I asked before about there being other recalls, there was one: Lynn Joseph Frazier, the North Dakota governor who in 1921 became the only governor so far ousted in a recall. Frazier, however, went on to serve in the U.S. Senate.

Re: Re: Re: stranger than fiction

SOME INFO ON RECALL:

(there have been many, but i'm actually sitting here at work and i can't do the searches..try google for more)

see bottom of my above post. maybe many recalls at a lower office, but not sure... there have been many attempts at a governor recall but none have ever got on the ballot. they may be allowed in many states but they haven't been used.

Originally posted by rip

davis was a giant bag of ass and cabbage.

WHY? because thats what people say?

Originally posted by WebsterUno

I thought it was 64 sigs, and $3500?

minumum 64 (or 65?) registered voters need to sign... 64-100 sigs, plus $3500... every signature after 100, a few cents get taken off the registration fee...

so you could get, say, 9000 sigs and only pay a few hundred bucks (i don't wanna do the math, but you get the point)

the main reason for the 64-100 is that (and again, i don't have the numbers exactly right) every 1 out of like 10 signatures isn't going to qualify because they registered too late or something like that...

this is all ridiculous anyway...

Interesting.... another fine example of business foreshadowing politics.

Actors make great puppet heads. I was hoping Ahnold would be a good leader....

Empires eventually fall when their influence begins to wane because of being spread so thin across vast distances. However there are more control devices in the world today so this will be probably the mightiest empire in history.

It will be ugly. It IS ugly. An impersonal mega-government that is unable to forsee problems in advance due to a lack of understanding and cohesion and only able to respond with quick and violent force hoping to deter future dissention. My god how brutal. How blunt. How beastly.

Guest WebsterUno
Originally posted by BROWNer

America now looks like the sixth great empire that can come close to dominating the entire world.

:eek:

sounds like good ole Bush

Archived