rail cops

drinkxylene

whats up everyone-- these questions are for the benchers--

i recently started visiting yards to flick shit and ive heard a bunch of mixed up stories from my friends about the security at the yards that i just wanted to confirm.

1. i know its trespassing-- but when i see security on other parts of the tracks i just wave adn they wave back, is it the same at the yard?

2. what is the penalty for trespassing for a 16 year old?

3. what are some good excuses that will work if im being questioned?

This forum is supported by the 12ozProphet Shop, so go buy a shirt and help support!
This forum is brought to you by the 12ozProphet Shop.
This forum is brought to you by the 12oz Shop.

say yur hiding behind trains because a crazed serial killer is trying to assasinate you, then once he hears that, he will get very scared and run away because he does not want to be assasinated, then if he sees you a second time say yer hiding from the same guy and that the guy mistook you for a rail cop because he doesn't like them, then the guy will get so scared that if he ever sees you again he will think the killer is around and right away he will hide instead of confronting you.

damn why is it that everytime i post i am not here. domit

Originally posted by drinkxylene

2. what is the penalty for trespassing for a 16 year old?

penalties for juveniles vary greatly... you could get a slap on a wrist or spend mad time in your favorite local youth facility until you finish their program... but my guess would be a slap on the wrist, you might not even get charged. as for excuses, althought the lost dog one is probably better, I'd say something along the lines of I'm a bit antisocial and I prefer to walk the tracks because theres less people on them...

Alright security will vary by yard. Intermodal yards have high security, cameras, etc. A small layup will have no security except for maybe a run through by the Bull every now and then. A large classification yard will have Bulls.

I've been asked to leave a gravel lot overlooking a yard by a Bull who said it was RR property. He also asked a truck mechanic who was sleeping in his truck to leave too. I had my camera/scanner and he was sympathetic but said he had to tell me to leave cuz he told the mechanic to leave.

After 9/11 security is even more intense. I have a Norfolk Southern video that was issued to all employees after the terrorist attacks telling them to alert the bulls when they see anyone suspicious near the tracks, especially with a camera. I've also had the chance to meet with some Norfolk Southern Bulls at their Atlanta headquarters a year ago for a college paper and these fools mean business. Do not, I repeat do not, take them for a joke! They are sworn police officers! They have K9s, they use infrared, I've heard of some dressing as bums or railworkers as well to decrease crimes on railroad property. Don't think if you get caught be them they will drive you off the property and let you go. I know a guy who was arrested for trespassing, the CSX bull arrested him and took him to Fulton County jail for 3 days, and he was interrogated, and the Supervisor for the yard came in and yelled at him as well, but he was eventually found clear of all charges cuz they were small compared to the other crimes that occur in Atlanta.

Just know the area, know what vehicles the bulls drive, and stay off the tracks in a busy yard. You may think the bulls are being bitches, but their there to look out for your safety, the RR doesn't want to pay your parents millions of settlement dollars when you get killed on RR property.

Play it smart, bench from a public spot, or if neccessary "trespass" at a low security area. Always respect RR workers, some are good guys who will talk to you and won't mind that your taking flix.

tresspassing=illegal, 16 or 100 years old still illegal. 2ndly alot of workers dont care, cops on the other hand well they tend to care a bit more than the guy that just wants to leave so he can retire to his house to watch monday night football with a case of coors or budwiser. he can care less. keep a keen eye out for the bulls tho. but id say since your 16 you should just carry a colt 45 on your hip.........i bet its not illegal for you to shoot at them being 16 and all.....:rolleyes: ;)

ive been told there are different penalties for different ages--- people assume there is a difference in the maturity of a 15 year old and a 16 year old and an 18 year old and 21.... so on and so forth

the older you get the harder they will come down on you because they think you should know better.

Guest Mike bibby

if you can, RUN. if not, give a fake name that you wont fuck up on spelling out. say you are taking a short cut. I ALLWAYS RUN!!

It all depends on the situation. In the last few months I have been politely asked to beat it and not come back, and I have also been given a "warning ticket." It's true that security is tighter than before 9/11, but it's a relative thing. Obviously, if you go into a high security hotshot yard, you are going to be dealing with halogen lights, security cameras, patrols by railroad Special Agents and possibly K-9 patrols or guard dogs.

But if you stick to out-of-the-way sidings or lay-ups, most likely none of this security shit will be there, except maybe a drive-through by a bull in a white Ford Explorer with an alley light once or twice a day.

As long as you are not tearing up railroad property, breaking into cargo or trying to hop, they will probably just turn you loose. Don't be a jackass. If you badmouth the bull, or cop an attitude, most likely you are going to jail.

A tresspassing bust can be as little as a ticket, or if the juvenile judge feels pissed off that day you could wind up doing six months in a juvenile detention center. IT ALL DEPENDS.

Personally, I try to never be seen at all, by anybody, period. "Do no damage, leave no trace, make no disturbance." If you follow the low-line rule, most likely you wo't ever get popped. Damaging railroad property, getting fucked up in the Yards, and skylining and clowning will all get you sent to jail, eventually.

It all depends on the situation. In the last few months I have been politely asked to beat it and not come back, and I have also been given a "warning ticket." It's true that security is tighter than before 9/11, but it's a relative thing. Obviously, if you go into a high security hotshot yard, you are going to be dealing with halogen lights, security cameras, patrols by railroad Special Agents and possibly K-9 patrols or guard dogs.

But if you stick to out-of-the-way sidings or lay-ups, most likely none of this security shit will be there, except maybe a drive-through by a bull in a white Ford Explorer with an alley light once or twice a day.

As long as you are not tearing up railroad property, breaking into cargo or trying to hop, they will probably just turn you loose. Don't be a jackass. If you badmouth the bull, or cop an attitude, most likely you are going to jail.

A tresspassing bust can be as little as a ticket, or if the juvenile judge feels pissed off that day you could wind up doiung six months in a juvenile detention center. IT ALL DEPENDS.

Personally, I try to never be seen at all, by anybody, period. "Do no damage, leave no trace, make no disturbance." If you follow the low-line rule, most likely you wo't ever get popped. Damaging railroad property, getting fucked up in the Yards, and skylining and clowning will all get you sent to jail, eventually.

Originally posted by Swiffer Jet

you were looking for your dog

^^^^^^^^^^^^ this excuse use to work for me all the time..anytime i seen a worker or a bull i would start calling a dogs name out, like i was searching for him, ''oh, he was chasing deer'', [etc..]...after a few times, they started to wonder , and asked me if i owned a kennel, because i sure had alot of dogs...:nut:

keep your ears open dotn be stupid and sit around if oyu think your gonna catch heat leave its just better that way come back later and hope oyur works still thier. if oyur caught and let go say thanks and stay away for awhile you be nice they be nice its just like every day most guys on the job dont want trouble thier just trying to make a buck.

stick to layups. if oyu live in city thier are probably quite a few look around .

be safe always be safe.

tell em some rag head gave you 10,000 to scope out train yards and record rr traffic schedules because they plan to detinate a tank car filled with consintrated bleach in the middle of a major city.

thats what this bull told me i was doing before he wrote me a tresspassing ticket and ousted me from MY bench spot of 8 years.

seriously, just try your best not to let anyone see you taking fliks. if they do just play the railfan role really hard. call engines "power" call coal trains "coal drags" and stuff like that. if they play you close, ask them about their job.....ya know "how can I do what you do"

everybody likes to talk about their job.

if all else fails run!

take a one hour visit, every day of the week, this is my advice. You may have struck a gold mine, it just depends on where you are and what type of yard it is. I know my original yard did mechanical repair, the shit never was unattended, shifts were constantly doing work - splitting up cars, transferring cargo, and overall maintenance 24 hours a day. But, my new yard in my new town is very low key, to be honest, I have no idea what the fuck they do there. I guess i just don't know enough. Cars lie for weeks at my new yard, Keep in mind at a yard like this your piece may sit there for a week. On sundays. the shit is shut down completely, not a soul in sight is there and i could piece for 8 hours in broad daylight if i wanted to. I would say, take a great study, everyday of the week for an hour or so, and consideration as to how you will approach what you do there. Remember, if you are seen, that spot is blown forever, and if other veterans paint there, you are in for a severe beating. Study and proceed with caution. peace

whenever i'm in the yard and i'm just taking flicks..i dont care AT ALL if i'm spotted by rail workers. i just wave to them, and they wave back. if i'm writing, of course i'll dip into the weeds...at least at this yard the workers are pretty chill about it as long as they dont see you climbing on freights or doing dumb shit.

Archived