Search In
  • More options...
Find results that contain...
Find results in...
Sign in to follow this  
optimodub

punk/soul/funk/reggae mash-up...recommendations please

Subhumans...fucking love them (if you mean the UK ones, haven't heard the Canadian Subhumans) and the singer's 2 bands after them, Culture Shock and Citizen Fish, don't usually like ska punk at all, but they did it well, the only other is Operation Ivy of course

Black Flag...probably my favourite US punk

Dead Kennedys...supposed to play here few months ago, but it was cancelled here for some reason, had no intention of seeing them anyway, no Jello no show

Sizzla...just got the Black Woman & Child track, nice stuff, need to hear more

DJ Shadow...one of the artists who i have to have EVERYTHING by, genius

Rage Against The Machine/Red Hot Chilli Peppers/Living Colour...no chance, the rock/metal doesn't do it for me

Lee Perry King Tubby Linval Thompson Wayne Smith The Skatalites John Holt Horace Andy U-Roy Gregory Isaacs Dennis Brown Augustus Pablo...love all them

but don't know this stuff...Billy Boyo Barrington Levy Nigger Kojack Freddie McGregor Michigan & Smiley Don Carlos Cocoa Tea...i've still to try some dancehall

and my mate is seriously into his soul and funk, especially Northern Soul stuff, so got that covered

and Liquid Liquid did a one-off reunion in New York so their relatives and whatever could see what they missed out on all those years ago, or something like that, and it went so well they decided to do 2 or 3 more in Europe, so saw one of those, amazing, so tight though, sounded exactly like they do on record

anyway, i know my punk and reggae, what i'm still really after is another band who can do soul fired punk as good as mAKE-Up did it, what a fucking band

and i forgot to mention the outstanding Primal Scream, a bunch of Scottish nutters who've been around for over 15 years, don't know if they're well known in the US, but they've done indie, techno, dub, reggae, hip-hop, funk, punk, jazz, blues, just about everything, working with the likes of Dan The Automator, Kevin Shields of My Bloody Valentine, Augustus Pablo, David Holmes, George Clinton, Adrian Sherwood, Andy Weatherall, Jah Wobble of P.I.L., Bernie Summer of New Order, and even have Kate Moss singing on their last album

these are MUSTS...

-AFGHAN WHIGS "1965"

-

"destination love" by the MAKEUP... live, raw, and full of muthafuckin soul!

Originally posted by optimodub

but don't know this stuff...Billy Boyo Barrington Levy Nigger Kojack Freddie McGregor Michigan & Smiley Don Carlos Cocoa Tea

Essentials...

Billy Boyo- One Spliff A Day (he was 13 when he got shot and killed)

Barrington Levy- Under Mi Sensi

Nigger Kojack & Horace Andy- Green Bay Killing

Freddie McGregor- Roots Man Skankin

Michigan & Smiley- Diseases

Don Carlos- Spread Out

Cocoa Tea- Rocking Dolly

^^^^All these are early dancehall. As you can tell, I'm a very big fan or early dancehall and early dub riddims.

Register for a 12ozProphet forum account or sign in to comment

You need to be a forum member in order to comment. Forum accounts are separate from shop accounts.

Create an account

Register to become a 12ozProphet forum member.

Register a new account

Sign in

Already have an account? Sign in here.

Sign In Now
Sign in to follow this