poisonous or radioactive?

Guest rob deer

Guest rob deer

sometimes I'll find a line that's layed up nicely but most of the rail cars have a sticker or a tag that says something along the lines of:

"placarded for ...."

the stickers are normally accompanied by dates for how long the line is to be furloghed and caution symbols...

does this mean I should stay away and that they're layed up far away from civilization for a real good reason? I figure I'm already inhaling enough carcinogens, and who knows if some of the combinations of chemicals (ie. xylene/toulene + evil fertilizer residue) could be maybe deadly?

thanks for any insight

This forum is supported by the 12ozProphet Shop, so go buy a shirt and help support!
This forum is brought to you by the 12ozProphet Shop.
This forum is brought to you by the 12oz Shop.

Fuck it

When was a yard ever considered a safe place anyway?

Those tall white piles of debris from hoppers have always made me wonder what I'm around...

Yes, those stickers are a legit warning, but I don't think anything would happen from painting the outside. Now if the door was open....or you could smell something bad.....that's a given

Originally posted by fr8otech

Fuck it

When was a yard ever considered a safe place anyway?

Those tall white piles of debris from hoppers have always made me wonder what I'm around...

Yes, those stickers are a legit warning, but I don't think anything would happen from painting the outside. Now if the door was open....or you could smell something bad.....that's a given

I've painted boxcars that are being fumigated lots of times. Sometimes the fumes (i cant remember exactly what it is right now) are leaking out and it smells pretty bad..probably gonna get a fuckin tumor soon.

Radioactive...

OHFX Gondolas with a tarp over them (blue) carry flourine or flourine by-products mixed with sand and ore in them. Write to the address below and send two stamps, there is an article in a mag put out by the HRTA about it....Peace....

everyone knows trains carry lots of superhazardous stuff..

it has to be transported somehow, and they won't put it on planes or tractor trailers.

stay observant.

if there is a smell or an odor or whatever that is bothering you, stay away. duh

radiation leakage is highly unlikely, because that would be on the level of environmental disaster

any big piles of white are gonna be salt or some deposit like that, say calcium chloride (chalk)

if anything super corrosive/hazardous started leaking, it would become the EPA's problem. the train workers don't wanna get hurt either..

bottom line: WEAR YOUR MASK

The placards are also for when a train derails, the emergency crew will know how to handle the situation. For example, some chemicals become poisonous after mixing with water and produce a lethal combination. But painting them you should be straight...as long as you don't climb up a tankcar, open the hatch and jump in!

Also watch out for trains with containers of trash. I know a few places contract out unit trains with special containers filled at a landfill, and transport them to another state where they are offloaded and dumped.

• 2 weeks later...

I'd have to see the placards to tell you...or maybe you could be more specific as to what's on them, including any 4-digit numbers.

Don't hang around cars that are being fumigated, they use phosphine (PH3) which is nasty and will fuck you up, a little now and a lot later.

Whoever mentioned fluorine is a little off on their science. Fluorine is not radioactive (unless it's an isotope) and cannot be found in nature because it will react with almost anything. It's possible that fluorine compounds mixed with sand are in railcars, but again they ought not to be radioactive.

I know my chemistry, I just don't have enough info to give people definite answers about their spot or situation.

Archived