The Bridge Thread.

JimboTheLion

This forum is supported by the 12ozProphet Shop, so go buy a shirt and help support!
This forum is brought to you by the 12ozProphet Shop.
This forum is brought to you by the 12oz Shop.
  • Replies 87
  • Created
  • Last Reply

The 10 longest suspension bridges in the world

Rank Bridge name Main span length Country Date of completion

1 Akashi Kaikyo Bridge 1,991 m (6,532') (1.24MILES) Japan 1998

2 Great Belt East Bridge 1,624 m Denmark 1998

3 Humber Bridge 1,410 m U.K. 1981

4 Jiangyin Bridge 1,385 m China 1999

5 Tsing Ma Bridge 1,377 m China (Hong Kong) 1997

6 Verrazano Narrows 1,298 m USA 1964

7 Golden Gate Bridge 1,280 m (4,199') USA 1937

8 Hoga Kusten Bridge 1,210 m Sweden 1997

9 Mackinac Bridge 1,158 m (3,799') USA 1957

10 Minami (South) Bisan-Seto Bridge 1,100 m Japan 1988

Originally posted by loopsnew

which one is this? just... a beautiful picture. always wondered how they go about constructing these in water. passed one being built once in florida. it was weird how they create this water tight enclosure around each...stilt? ...and go from there. def cool.

:n

That is the mackinac (pronounced mackinaw) bridge, it connects the lower penisula of michigan to the upper penisula. its #9 on the list but that is just the suspension part length, the whole bridge length is 5 miles!!

i remember getting so excited when we would go up to the U.P. and cross this bridge!

plus that bridge (mackinac) can sway 35' one way or the other depending on wind.....kinda freaky! i remember one year a geo metro got blown off the bridge....the people died. there are some good shows on discover about building suspension bridges, mainly the golden gate, but they are intereting.

Originally posted by nomadawhat

plus that bridge (mackinac) can sway 35' one way or the other depending on wind.....kinda freaky! i remember one year a geo metro got blown off the bridge....the people died. there are some good shows on discover about building suspension bridges, mainly the golden gate, but they are intereting.

35'! no shit!?! the idea of building "sway" factor into any structure totally blows my mind. remember that famous flick of that bridge that swayed a bit too much? always remember that when i cross. funny, huh?

tacoma narrows bridge disaster

http://www.tfhrc.gov/pubrds/winter96/imgs/p96w46a.gif'>

http://www.theharrowgroup.com/articles/20020513/TacomaBridge.gif'>

an article on aerodynamic design of highway structures. found this as i was searching for this pic. took me forever. i thought it was san fran from an earthquake in the 1950's, not from wind. doh!

:n

the craziest bridges ive ever seen are in lucca, italy. crazy shit, theyre called "devils ring" or something like that. they make a perfect circle with the reflection in the river that they go ove.

shits dope right?yeah.

• 1 year later...

Bridging the Tigris

"The 1437th MRBC (Multi-Role Bridge Company) of Sault Ste. Marie, MI, working jointly with the First Marine Expeditionary Force Engineer Group and the Naval Mobile Construction Battalion 7 (Seabees) have successfully completed one of the biggest projects of its' kind since World War II. The 1437th lent their experience and equipment in floating bridge building to construct a 762 foot Mabey-Johnson bridge across the Tigris River at Zubaydiyah"

tigris3.jpg

tigris1.jpg

"The 1437th MRBC utilized many of its' skilled boat operators throughout the project to place the pontoons in position for pinning and welding, and holding the bridge in place until the anchor system was complete.""The current was very swift and it took all of our skill to keep the bridge steady." Steadying the pontoons to get the separate bridge decking in place was the critical part of the job as it turned out. "If anchoring didn't go well, the bridge wouldn't be here," according to Navy Lt.j.g. David M Minnick, Jr, a boatswain for Amphibious Construction Battalion 1. "This thing snaked," said Petty Officer 1st Class Hippolito Quiles, builder Naval Mobile Construction Battalion 7 (NMCB7), "and the Army guys had to keep adjusting their boats so we could drop the anchors."

"The last bridges built by the Sault Unit in combat were Treadway bridges built by the 1437th Engineer Treadway Bridge Company during the Korean War across the Pukkhan and Humsong Rivers. One of these bridges was built within 800 yards of combat between the ROK and North Korean troops. Awards for their time in Korea include a Unit Presidential citation."

not the most impressive looking bridge but it was built during a war. it took 11 days to build and weighed like 490 tons when it was finished.

Kelowna Floating bridge, Highway 97 over Okanagan Lake to the Westside.

The bridge was opened in 1958 by Princess Margaret, and at 640 metres, this pontoon structure is the first and remains North America’s largest floating bridge. Prior to construction of the bridge, a ferry service connected the two shores .

Archived