does it really matter if its seen?

MOOGLE?

Originally posted by thewhitekid+Feb 24 2005, 09:55 AM--><div class='quotetop'>QUOTE (thewhitekid - Feb 24 2005, 09:55 AM)</div><div class='quotemain'><!--QuoteBegin-king kong@Aug 30 2003, 08:18 PM

chill spots are G...

im defintaly big on roof tops to me theres nothing better

[/b]

Ah rooftops!!!!

The question is, 'who do you want to see it?' A select few or everybody?

If you want everybody to see it than you'll find yourself taking far greater risks than the chill spot guy.

Part of the art is the finding a great 'visible' spot and pulling it off without getting caught. If you discard this part of the art.........are you truley a graff writer/artist?

There's a difference between the names you catch everywhere and the names you seldom see. One is doing his art and the other is just toying with it.

This forum is supported by the 12ozProphet Shop, so go buy a shirt and help support!
This forum is brought to you by the 12ozProphet Shop.
This forum is brought to you by the 12oz Shop.
  • Replies 299
  • Created
  • Last Reply

anyone who's painted main veins as well as chill spots, knows there's a difference.

If you've only painted chill spots, then your really missing out.

I'm not putting chill spots down because you can do master peices with all the time you've got and have a great time no sweat...... but c'mon man, hustle them streets.

• 2 weeks later...

i personally really like hitting spots that only one or two people will ever see, just because those few folks who do see it will be like, "who ever would think to do a piece here?"

i know that's how i am when i see those type of spots. but dont sleep on visible shit either.

i personally really like hitting spots that only one or two people will ever see, just because those few folks who do see it will be like, "who ever would think to do a piece here?"

i can agree with that...but theres nothing i like more than driving down the road and seeing my own shit and knowing that everone around me is seeing it and wondering who did it.

I think the most visable spots are cool but there not the only thing. If your in the bathroom of a movie theatre where you know shit gets buffed fast, its kinda cool do hit somewhere that no1 will see, so you can come back 4 months late and have your shit be there while a lot of other tages have gone up and gotten buffed within the day. even thought its usually just for yourself, its kinda cool.

• 3 weeks later...

I don't really care, here the buildings by the tracks are where all the writers paint, and also have the least ammount of heat at night when doing a peice. So I couldn't care less if non writers see it, it's for me and for the viewing pleasure of those who look to find it. Like my friend told me the story of this one wall in the middle of nowhere in the outskirts of the city I live in, a certain crew would blow a shitload of money on paint, and they'de go all out on this one wall spend hours and days on a single peice, and nobody besides them would ever see it. I guess it's how you feel about your art work, do you do it just for yourself, do you do it for otherpeople, most of the times its a bit of both.

If you want the fame than you gotta get up n get cocky,but dont get me wrong squattin a wall to hash out a dope piece is nice. It all depends on how much time up got n who your with.The more ppl see your shit the more your talked about, I mos def enjoy bombin in places where no one will find it, I know its their.You never no if someone else finds it ,if your a looker.

We have completely abandon buildings in detroit we call galleries where you gotta find a way in n the hole place is covered.Its not hard to start a gallery,jus find a new building n claim it.

JASE

Guest Flight_Risk

"I just paint for myself"

"I don't care if it's seen or not.."

"etc."

"etc."

Translation=

"I'm an insecure sucker whose style is super wack. If it wasn't I'd want to show it off and participate in the culture of graffitti writing.."

Don't waste paint, streaks, ink etc. give it to a writer whose style you enjoy and is using his/her supplies to make noise and give all of us poor bastards something to look at/ think about/ discuss.

Make sense?

peace

• 2 weeks later...

i live in a town of about 50,000. its a small town crawling with cops and vigilante do gooders. you hardly ever have a chance to do a nice visible piece. its just way to risky, so you just gotta bomb. the chill spots here are like sanctuaries. theres nothing i love more than a nice big rooftop and i'll take them when i can get em. but we've got a good handful of artists here and its always fun to discover a new chill spot way off the beatin path, thats just covered in some really good work. the chill spots here are in great places, i.e. drain tunnels, under bridges, you know, the usual. places like that are cool with or without graff.

i drop bombs for fame, to be seen by everyone, and i piece in chill spots, for the ones who i know will appreciate it.

well i didnt read this thread, but...

yes it matters if its scene or not.... becasue if its nto scene, for all other writers know, you do not exist. it doesnt matter if "civilians" see graffiti though... it even could be better if they dont. but i mean, lets say your some all city kid, or a well known peicer, then a peice of graffiti, or two out in the middle of the woods or up somones butt would be kind of cool... but then again it all is opinion, mostly preferance on why you write/what you write for.

the best is bombing totally shitfaced blacked out. and you wake up in the morning and dont know why you have paint all over your hands. then you go to the store to get some mcdonalds and a blunt. and you see hella your shit riding you dont remember doing it. and youre like "ohh shit, i seen that, i dont remember doing it though" and youre just surprised as any random writer, except its like a double orgasm cause its your shit thats up!!

Originally posted by Flight_Risk@Apr 22 2005, 01:30 AM

"I just paint for myself"

"I don't care if it's seen or not.."

"etc."

"etc."

Translation=

"I'm an insecure sucker whose style is super wack. If it wasn't I'd want to show it off and participate in the culture of graffitti writing.."

pretty much.

visiable shit is how u get ups bro, i did a like a huge barn thing that is VERY visable from the free way and it got me some many props i didnt really like it but it was a huge peice, i like my tech and wildedstyle so much better ha ha

• 1 month later...
Originally posted by .:wizo:cdc:.@Aug 7 2003, 06:20 AM

im with alot of people here, i love taggin shit where it will get noticed, but it starts gettin to me when im just walkin around taggin shit with no problem, i love it when im under pressure when im taggin, like once, i hit up a tag on this electrical box with a pig just chillen at the light, i love shit like that, that was the best, and i love when i catch shit in odd places, or when you have to look at somethin before you notice there is somethin there..

^^^^this is super retarded

i like to hit under toilet seats though....

Originally posted by D_Berkowitz@May 10 2005, 06:54 PM

the best is bombing totally shitfaced blacked out. and you wake up in the morning and dont know why you have paint all over your hands. then you go to the store to get some mcdonalds and a blunt. and you see hella your shit riding you dont remember doing it. and youre like "ohh shit, i seen that, i dont remember doing it though" and youre just surprised as any random writer, except its like a double orgasm cause its your shit thats up!!

that shits funny, one time i was in the state you described and i got kicked out some party cause i broke some shit and a bunch of my homies were still there i was all heated alone in the street i ended up rocking a bunch of trucks right outside with the words "homos betray" written super wack, i ended up at my out side my moms at like 3 am with a fuck load of bruises and scrapes missing like 2 cameras having no idea how i got there, not knowing some how that i was at my moms i rang the bell, so she yells out who is it? forgetting where i am i respond "fuck you!" this happend a few more times mom didnt know it was me so she called the cops.... i suck

they both have their merits, for one, when you are starting out, please paint chill out of the way spots so that noone has to look at your garbage until you are a little better. you can learn all the basics of can control lettering and colours, without having to worry about other shit, its worth it... for another, going to a drain or something on a sunday afternoon with a couple of beers some paint and a few friends is fucking rad. but then again hitting spots that everyone will see is the shit.

Originally posted by D_Berkowitz@May 10 2005, 01:54 PM

the best is bombing totally shitfaced blacked out. and you wake up in the morning and dont know why you have paint all over your hands.

my favourite is going to a club in town, and booking the taxi not to stop outside the club but to pick me up on the main road so i can bomb all the way up completly fucked...

the great thing is waking up and thinking you did 10 tags but really you did 30...and in prominant spots (as we are talking about getting seen) i got a huge fat cap tag on a wall next to a high end furniture store in the city centre which is on the middle of a junction...

which is something that i would never have done...for fear of :five-o: involvement.

finding out that i had done that made me realise graffiti was still fun, it hasnt lost its charms, for me getting seen is half the pleasure. talking to these blokes today they told me there tags, and i didnt know who the fuck they were...theres no point even doing graffiti and less your name gets heard.

• 3 weeks later...
  • 4 weeks later...

here's a point no one came up with yet....

what about folks who go to what i call "backrub" spots...you know, where some guys go out w/ a barbecue, radio, blunts, brews and half of the hardware store's paint...spend all day painting, bullshitting, smoking...whatever. take tons of flicks during and after the process, post them here, and then run their mouths about their "mAd BoMbZ", their "realness" and "steez"...they might do just enough hot shit to keep some street cred, but you never really see them up as much on the streets as you see them up here. it's art, but as far as graff goes, it's practice...when i see more trees than buildings, and there's cows walking by in the shot...i just chuckle. bombing is about getting dirty, tags on every powerbox and parking meter on both sides of the street for three blocks.... it's about painting a simple in two minutes on the track with crackheads and hookers trying to get you to put them up...it's about running from court dates, and not letting silly things like barbed wire or freeway traffic slow you down. fame is certainly obtainable from graff mags and websites, although it's a select audience that is already on the same page as you. but, when you can get laid because some girl sees you running and likes what they see...you hear some squares talking about your corner spot and you don't even know them...well, which one would you pick?

Archived