STORES/BOUTIQUES WORLWIDE - HELP...

misteraven

This forum is supported by the 12ozProphet Shop, so go buy a shirt and help support!
This forum is brought to you by the 12ozProphet Shop.
This forum is brought to you by the 12oz Shop.
Originally posted by T.T Boy@Oct 10 2003, 01:52 AM

el kartel

121 a 1025 robson st

vancouver

stopped by on a vacation. was an awesome shop.

this place is a fucking joke. they used to be called "level" but they went bankrupt, changed their name and kept everyone's merchandise without paying. they have back door sales of that gear on weekends.

• 3 weeks later...

For Vancouver guy... if your talking about Vancouver, B.C, Canada then I can kinda help you. Theres a place in New Westminister three blocks from New Westminster skytrain station, check Yellow pages when in town for details. They sell german Montana, some caps, and a few markers. Theres also a place called Hip Hop Connection in Metrotown Center which is atached right to the Metrotown skytrain station. They sell Spanish montana and otr markers, fairly expensive shit on both counts though. New West store is cheaper, and they'll probably cut you a deal if you buy big.

SEPERATE QUESTION>>

I used to buy all my ink from bombing science, but they turned gay and stopped selling shit. Anywhere in Vancouver CANADA, or online in CAD that sells Marsh or anything. The two local stores I know of never carry ink and I'm fresh out. Anybody?

• 2 weeks later...
Originally posted by ETHREADZNY@Aug 3 2003, 10:22 AM

HENRY'S SPORTS BOUTIQUE

CENTRAL AVENUE

WHITE PLAINS, NY

THE MAN IS A LEGEND, AND HE REALLY LOOKS OUT FOR HIS CUSTOMERS.

ah hell yea henry is the man ...ive been goin to sports boutique for years and years but unfortunately, the store got shut down but now hanks managing a new skate shop called 2nd nature....check it out...... http://www.secondnatureskateshop.com

• 1 month later...

ey does any one know what # is Scrap yard in NYC is? im in NY right now i wanted to go to a Graff store in manhattan ... the only one i know is scrap yard but i cant find it i know it's some where in canal st. n W.broadway but if there any more let me know thanks... i try asking ppl in canal st. they dont know at all.... thanks..im from orlando fl soo.. i dont know at all...

More love for Portland:

Just Be / Compound

107 NW 5th Avenue.

Portland. OR. 97209

Long-running Japanese collectible toy store that moved to a bigger shop and now has a galley upstairs and also sells clothes: Recon, Subware, Silas, Punk Drunkers, Nike, etc. and has had showings by people like Dalek, Struggle Inc., Dave Kinsey, and a crapload of other talented artists.

London Shop Review

Maharishi (Not Pictured)

Definitely the hidden gem of the shopping side of things. An amazing store located on a really exclusive street (nestled amongst a huge Paul Smith store), that emphasizes it's exclusiveness by the fact that your greeted by an older doorman/security guy in a formal button-up dark suit (a couple more also present within the store). Lots of very helpful and polite employees decked out mostly in Maharishi and other cool brands (Supreme, Bape, Dunks, etc), that seemed genuinely aware, and into, what's cool. Every inch of the store is carefully considered and mainly revolves around a Jungle type theme (More Thai/Vietnamese than African). Lots of examples of the Maharishi color pallet (shades of olives with a pop of bright orange), as well as tasteful use of the Maharishi camo motif. Lots of stuff to look at - glass cases full of carefully displayed exclusive toys, books, cans of spraypaint) as well as a larger than expected assortment of Maharishi clothing. A narrow (Easily missed) hallway in the back of the top floor leads to a small gallery/shop of designer toys. The staircase, in the middle of the shop leading down, is lined by flush-mounted glass cases with more exclusive toys/books/paint and leads under a large exotic tree that leans over the stairs and bottom floor, emphasizing the jungle decor. Bottom floor is carefully crammed with lots more (mainly male) Maharishi merchandise and large glass cases of more exclusive toys and books. Again at the back, there's a somewhat disguised hallway that opens to a fair sized art gallery displaying a series of Andy Warhol prints, as well as a large selection of Subway Art era photos by Henry Chalfant. Prices range from expensive to very expensive (Almost ridiculously expensive considering the poor exchange rate), but the merchandise is all highest quality materials, construction, and obviously, design. Though there were quite a few people shopping, it seemed like there were at least one employee per person with yet another employee walking by with merchandise, or hovering attentively along side (Vibe definitely upscale, and not overwhelming or pushy). Counter at the checkout was made of glass and packed with dozens of Kubrick toys for sale, many of which were exclusive Kubrick vs Maharashi collaborations, as well as neat stacks of postcards/flyers for Maharashi (Designed/printed in the same aesthetic as their store/product/packaging). Even their shopping bags are freshly designed and manufactured to a far above-average quality. If there's a single store not to miss when visiting London, this is it.

London Shop Review

Paul Smith (Not pictured)

I'm mentioning this shop simply because the product and space were so nice, and seemed to be an influence to many of the trendy urban shops I've seen. Located on the same street as Jones and Maharishi in a real upscale and trendy part of town. Store has that classic, 'London Gentlemen Shop' feel to it that's so well done, it almost makes Rivington Club in NYC look like a cheap copy. They also seem to include a random scattering of glass encased books and limited exclusive merchandise not made by Paul Smith that's clearly meant to position themselves in a particular context. Makes me wonder if they started that sort of thing or if they're following a cue from all the other hipster urban shops.

London Shop Review

Magma Books (Not pictured)

Among the best book stores I've been to. Similar in offerings as Zakka, but even more focused on trendy new and exclusive releases. Mostly focused on graphic design and graffiti/street art, as well as cool artist books and independent releases. Some designer toys, and t-shirts, as well as narrow selection of really good magazines (Lodown, and lots of glossy couture fashion magazines.

London Shop Review

Jones (Not pictured)

High-end, trendy shop somewhat reminiscent of Atrium in NYC, except not as stocked, and less 'club-like' atmosphere. Lots of premium denim (Rogan, PRPS, other euro brands), as well as trendy t-shirts from trendy brands I've never heard of. No street wear at all. Located on the same upscale street as Maharishi (Few doors down).

London Shop Review

My Trainers (Not Pictured)

Run of the mill, mom and pop type sneaker store, that happens to have a really good selection of sneakers. Really good dunk offering including a glass case with a bunch of limited release Dunk SB's available in limited sizes and for inflated rates. The shop doesn't have a trendy vibe at all, and if anything is kind of a budget independent shop, that stumbled upon a trend. Store is relatively tiny and packed with tourists buying random styles of sneakers. Located up the street from Stussy.

London Shop Review

Offspring (Not pictured)

This seems to be the main competition to Size? except with a focus purely on sneakers (Also a chain store, but less big budget). They had a pretty wide selection and lots of color ways available, as well as a random rare find mixed in (probably more for positioning since they never had multiple sizes of them). Pretty good dunk offering, and even had some Prada sneakers for sale. Seemed kinda mainstream (always on a major shopping street), despite efforts to look 'aware' and cool (Employees were wearing supreme, bape, etc).

London Shop Review

Bond Int'l (Not pictured)

Small shop on a side street off a busy shopping district (around the corner from Size? and Puma and pretty close to Bape and Hideout) that mainly stocks their own house brand (Bond Int'l), as well as a fair selection of Stussy t-shirts (More the roots stuff than the branded hipster stuff). Shop and merchandise has kind of a Raga/Roots feel mixed with urban niche. Other merchandise included the standard issues of Graphotism found in almost every urban shop, as well as a few other lesser known European Graff magazines, and a fair amount of t-shirts from Silas. *a few dozen yards from the Crooked Tongues office.

London Shop Review

Foot Patrol (Not Pictured)

Tiny shop in the typical hipster japanese design style found a couple doors in from a tiny darkened alley that anyone would easily walk past (A short walk up the street from Bond Int'l, Bape, and Hideout). They had a very small selection of merchandise mostly displayed inside wire cages (mainly obscure adidas and nike running - no dunks). Between the size of the shop, their displays, and the 'cooler than you' attitude I sensed from their two employees, the store seemed more like a status display for the owner than a business.

London Shop Review

555 Soul

This was a bit of a surprise that I stumbled across. Small shop with a more upscale feel (less sporty) than their NYC shop. Stocked all the current 555 Soul merchandise and little, if anything, else. Shop had a few people in it, but also happened to be in a real touristy area. I sort of slipped in and out, so no comment on staff. *I also happened to notice a fair amount of 555 Soul sponsored party flyers and most the cool shops.

555soul.jpg

London Shop Review

Duffer of St. George

Fairly large shop with a real upscale feel to it, despite all product being essentially t-shirts (street wear). Mainly stocks it's house brand (Duffer of St. George, and a couple sublines), plus a surprising amount of Alife stuff (button down shirts, hoodies, crewnecks, t-shirts), and a little bit of PRPS. Also stocked a couple toys and some magazines/books (also mostly Alife projects or stuff you'd expect them to stock). Staff was extremely polite and friendly. *Off a main shopping strip around the corner from Offspring and Foot Locker. **They also had an upscale shoe store (no sneakers) directly across the way.

duffer.jpg

London Shop Review

Stussy

Nice clean shop packed with a wide selection of Stussy merchandise including a glass case with their own toys (almost seemed more stocked than the NYC store, but probably because it was a good bit smaller space). They also had a small selection (half hearted) of sneakers (mainly dunks and hurrache's). Prices seemed kinda high even for Stussy (Poor exchange rate for the dollar made pricing outrageous). Cool space with a real cool sliding door taht activates when you put your hand on a black hand print on the glass. Store had a couple Japanese tourists browsing that somehow didn't seem like a coincidence. Staff seemes to kinda just ignore us.

stussy.jpg

London Shop Review

SIZE?

Kinda commercial, and obviously big budget backed chain store. Carries a large selection of sneakers with an emphasis on trendy styles and somewhat exclusive color ways. Stocked Nike Lasers in plexi-cases (Not for sale) to further push the impression that they know what's up. Also stocked a varied assortment of fashion and graffiti mags, as well as a couple trendy books on similar subjects. Store also has a separate section (usually basement) that focuses on apparel and more edgy independent shoe brands. Mostly niche brands and pseudo punk/indy style shirts, as well as a small wall's worth of OneTrueSaxon t-shirts. Stores are usually packed and staff is busy running around trying to keep up.

size.jpg

London Shop Review

HIDEOUT

Three doors down from Bape's Busy Workshop. Easy shop to walk past since signage is subtle and there are no real window displays (Plus London is crammed with cleanly designed little boutiques). Really Japanese-style minimal design, but with a warmer (rather than sterile) feel. Very small selection of handpicked merchandise with an obvious attention to detail over status or brand recognition. Some accessories, small shoe selection (casual style, no sneakers), and a fair selection of Good Enough and Neighborhood (Japanese brands). Very friendly staff.

hideout.jpg

London Shop Review

BAPE BUSY WORK SHOP

Relatively small shop, stocking only Bape merchandise. Very minimal and sterile Japanese style interior with multiple flush mounted video displays and plexi-glass encased t-shirt display same as those shown in the Wonderwall book of the original Japanese Bape shops. All shoes were out of stock in all sizes (£115), as well as most popular t-shirt sizes (£50). There was, however, a fair supply of cut & sew items and denim (was not salvaged denim and though they didn't look cheap, didn't really look high quality either. Possibly a step or two above Supreme denim) all in the £110 - £240 range. They also had a fair amount of accessories (wallets, key chains, digital camera cases, etc all with the infamous ape head), and a small stock of Baby Milo crewnecked sweatshirts for infants and kids (£50 - £70). Deliveries are received from Japan on most Saturdays. Very friendly staff.

bape.jpg

London Shop Review

PLAY LOUNGE

The equivalent of NYC's Kid Robot (But not quite as well stocked). Small shop packed to the gills with the 'coolest of the cool' designer toys. Equal mix of plush and vinyl, with some 'not for sale' collectables scattered around as well. No magazines and only a shirt or two. Located about a block and a half from BAPE.

play_lounge.jpg

London Shop Review

*Other notables include Foot Locker and JD Sports which are the equivelent of Foot Locker and Champs here in the states. They have the same set up and about the same amount of merchandise, but mostly different styles, or different color ways of the same styles they sell domestically. Not sure if it's routine, but Foot Locker seemed, in general, a bit cheaper than the USA versions, and we're stuffed with people buying product. Another chain store worth checking out is Office, which is similar to Offspring, but a little more big budget, and with more regard to casual/dress shoes.