I am an Alcoholic.

doggy jones

This forum is supported by the 12ozProphet Shop, so go buy a shirt and help support!
This forum is brought to you by the 12ozProphet Shop.
This forum is brought to you by the 12oz Shop.
  • Replies 76
  • Created
  • Last Reply

I came close to full blown addiction back in college. At my worst point that year...I was drinking a case of beer before I went out and another case during the course of the evening. When I came home for the summer...I had the shakes for a couple weeks. I couldn't sleep, so I went out and bought some booze. I hid it in my room because I didn't want to alert my parents to my frequency of drinking. I drank just enough every night...so that I could sleep. The shakes and one hell of a throw down fight with my dad is what scared me to death. I slowly decreased my intake to the point where I could sleep without it. After that I didn't drink a drop all summer. When I did start drinking again...I was very conscious of how much I drank.

• 4 years later...

I got out of a DWI last thursday, and I puked on the cop's car. I got two traffic tickets and my car towed, best part was he didn't even search my car or give me one sobriety test. Im quitting drinking for a while I think. That was the 3rd straight week (about 20th day) of daily/nightly drinking and substance abuse.

1. Pray in the morning on your knees, ask higher power to keep you sober for the day.\

2. Go to an AA meeting.\

3.Call your sponsor at the designated call time.\

4.Read two pages from the big book. Start at the cover page.\

5.Write a gratitude list. Write down ten things you are grateful for today.\

6.Read the AA Just For Today verse listed below.\

7.At night, get on knees and thank your higher power for another day of sobriety.\

\

Repeat.

Just for today

I will try to live through this day only and not tackle my whole life problem at once. I can do something for 12 hours that would appal me if I felt that I had to keep it up for a lifetime.

Just for today

I will be happy. This assumes to be true what Abraham Lincoln said, that: "most folks are as happy as they make up their minds to be."

Just for today

I will adjust myself to what is and not try to adjust everything to my own desires. I will take each day as it comes and fit myself to it.

Just for today

I will try to strengthen my mind. I will study. I will learn something useful. I will not be a mental loafer. I will read something that requires effort, thought and concentration.

Just for today

I will exercise my soul in three ways: I will do somebody a good turn, and not get found out; if anybody knows of it, it will not count; I will do at least two things I don't want to do - just for exercise; I will not show anyone that my feelings are hurt - they may be hurt but today I will not show it.

Just for today

I will be agreeable. I will look as well as I can, dress becomingly, talk low, act courteously, criticise not one bit, not find fault with anything, and not try to improve or regulate anybody but myself.

Just for today

I will have a programme. I may not follow it exactly but I will have it. I will save myself from two pests - hurry and indecision.

Just for today

I will have a quiet half-hour all by myself and relax. During this half-hour, sometime, I will try and get a better perspective of my life.

Just for today

I will be unafraid. Especially I will not be afraid to enjoy what is beautiful and to believe that, as I give to the world, so the world will give to me

Some real AA stuff for you guys

the only thing stopping me from becoming a full blown alcoholic is i got to much shit i got to get done. with work, school, my girlfriend, and graff i really dont have time and energy to get blizted every nite like i used to. but when i do drink i tend to over do it, and not remember anything. so when i do drink i'll get a 12er of some mickey's and chief a few blunts. that combo works for me.

If it works for you, then I won't knock it.

I had to go through AA for probation once. It was all right, but it wasn't for me. I really think I stayed sober because it was the honorable thing to do under the circumstances, as the paper I signed said I had to stay clean for three months. So I did.

As with everything else, I think my drinking has begun to taper off. Well, as far as it being a "get hamboned every damn day" thing. I don't get drunk too often (every couple months), but I drink every day. Moderation.

That, and I come from a long line of alcoholics (Scottish/Russian Jew)...so I have done my fair share of time being a fucking drunken mess.

I'm too old for that shit. For the most part.

I just started "seeing" this 18 year old gal, freshman in college, and she's all "I think I'm an alcoholic, I drink like every day."

No bitch, you just left your house for the 1st time and have no self control whatsoever.

You guys that are older than that are simply self medicating or lack self control.

-ASS (Not sure if I buy the whole "alcoholism is a disease thing")

hehe. so. yeha. this is my 4th day off smokeing weed everyday for 6 years.

i have been haveing dreams and have been sooo fucking sleep deprived. i left work early to go home and sleep. i think im starting to feel better.

but drinking booze everyweekend bingeing as they call it. for about 8 years. but the whole no smokeing thing has become more of a weekday drinking thing.

/endrant. nonsenses oner.

i smoked daily for ten years....and now i am trying to get control over it...its hard as hell, but now when i get stoned i get anxiety and shit because my tolerance is so low, i can only take like 2hits at a time and im gone... good luck with that...

i have been sober for 70+ days....and the AA shit is not converting to christianity i go like once a week because it helps to hear that other people are having success after not drinking..i have never heard the word jesus once...god yes...there is talk of god but it is in an individual faith based way. i dont follow the steps i just go to get some support from those who are in situations like mine. if its not for you then dont go, people can surely quit on their own too.

i am tired of jail, fights, spending mad money, drugs, risking my life, health problems, drunk driving, cheating, stealing etc..

believe it or not this shit is all linked to my use of alcohol

Isnt this the first step? I am an alcoholic. I know it. I accept thefact. I drink everydya. I make up excuses for why I am drinking beer at 11:00am. I deny the fact to my friends. But it is obvious.

I am drunk now. Anyone?

ps-phony alias

I've always denied the fact that I was an alcoholic because I didn't drink everyday...I'm more of a binge drinker and once I get drunk I won't stop drinking until I completely black out and piss off everyone around me. I've had this problem for more than 15 years now. I can't just have one drink and stop, I've never been able to do that. About a month ago I went on a drinking binge that was really bad, I drove drunk, started shit with my wife to the point she almost left me and got online and talked some incredibly rude shit to someone that I've always respected. I haven't drank since that weekend and hope that I can continue not to.

I'm not one to give advice on this kind of shit because I've been an addict as long as I've been a binge drinker....Not an addict like I gotta get my fix right now, but if a drug that I like is in my possession it won't last long. I stopped breathing in my sleep last year on pain killers and it scared the shit out of me. Enough to make me want to stop fucking around with them altogether.

Like I said before it's been about a month since I drank last, my wife of 10 years told me if I drank again, that was it...And even though she's said that before and didn't follow through with it, my actions that weekend can almost guarantee that if it happens again she'll be gone. And I'm not havin' that. So I've decided not to drink out of respect for her, myself, and the people around me...and hope that I never do again.

That's how I stopped and although it's only been a month I already feel better and our relationship has gone a lot smoother. Trust me when I say... waking up in the morning without a hangover is a beautiful thing.

Good luck man if you really want to quit, you'll make it. Hopefully you won't have to go through the same shit I did to get there though.

Archived