Canvas Thread

Harpo Marx

Free advice is what it is. You take it and use it to your advantage or you leave it and move on. Do whatever you want and how you want but I'm telling you... cardboard is shit. If you were famous at all, in any circle and had been selling work for high dollar... a painting on cardboard is fine. But you're a writer no one has heard of trying to make a quick buck. So instead of changing that, you're going to continue with half-assing your art. I'm sorry, but I think that's sad.

That sounds like a diss but it's more tough love than anything. I don't know you so I can't dislike you. So it's not personal. I just see that you can make some money doing what you like but your approach is going to keep you down. That pisses me off for some reason.

Seeking is right, wood is cheap. Go to Home Depot or whatever and buy a piece of half inch ply. Have the shop cut it in half and you have two canvases right there. Attach some d-rings to the back for hanging and you're ready to paint. Hell... I bet if you stroll through a construction site at night you could find some decent sized scraps of ply for free. It's a thought. Primed canvas is something like $7 a yard. Unless you're disgustingly broke... $7 isn't going to hurt you. Buy a few yards of canvas and paint a few portraits on them. Don't worry about framing them or anything if you haven't got the cash. At least you have the art and can frame down the road.

I have no idea where you live but I bet there's one night in every month where all the local galleries have their openings for the their new exhibits. Grab a bunch of your portraits, Leave anything graffiti related home, and go find yourself a spot on the sidewalk to set up shop. Display your work and let people walking from gallery to gallery get into it. Sell some or just sit there and let the commisioned work come to you.

Don't cheapen your work by doing it on cardboard, Nomaq. Please.

This forum is supported by the 12ozProphet Shop, so go buy a shirt and help support!
This forum is brought to you by the 12ozProphet Shop.
This forum is brought to you by the 12oz Shop.

what you have to remember is that you're not making 'art', you're making a 'product'. one that while 'well done', is not particularly creative or unique. you're relying on peoples attachment to the celebrities to make sales, not on your personal approach to painting them, or your own fame. because of that, you're not in a position to be dictating what is acceptible. maybe your boys think a creased image of tupac is cool, but something tells me these are the same people that pose 5 deep in front of a backdrop of dollars bills and cristal bottles. that's not your target market.

if you were homeless and schizophrenic doing these paintings with cigarette ash and mud, cardboard would be ok because it would add to the asthetic of the final product. you're not schizophrenic and homeless. :(

anyway, i know it's a dead horse but please, listen to joker. dude sells paintings for the price of a mid sized luxery sadan, he knows what he's talking about.

seeks/ok, i totally made that part up.

Joker said plywood ... if you want to save even more do it on 1/4 inch masonite ....HomeDepot sells it pre-cut sections for $2/$3 !!!!!!!!! go back to where the wood is and find a section with cubby hole type set up and it will be in there in sereval sizes , Take advantage !!!!!!!

Even masonite can be fragile. Though lots of people do paint on it and it works just as well as wood. Erizeno is right... HD has little cubby sections by their wood selection where they have pre-cut pieces of wood in several different sizes. Something to consider.

As for canvas work... I know it doesn't come cheap when it's pre-stretched. So look for deals and sales. Almost every major city has a discount art supply store. Check there. Also, keep in mind that if you do paint on canvas, and plan on doing something special... make sure you don't buy the cheap ass half inch thick framed canvas. Spend the extra loot for the thicker and more sturdy canvas. Plus, as a bonus to saving money down the road, you don't have to frame a thicker canvas.

And just to reiterate... I'm not dissing you Nomaq. Just trying to pass on some advice. Hope we're cool.

I really like the middle one. If I'm seeing them right, your leaving parts of the cnavases ungesoed. If thats the case I'm digging the effect. I like the bottom part of the top one, where you have mallstrom with oil stick or something along the lines. The last one seems the most incomplete, but I think thats part of the look. You have some really good shit, and it's always a fresh breathe of air from seeing slapped tother shit by unheard of premedona shitty graffiti heads biting the fuck out of brand names.

It's good to see somebody making art.

- Yellow Mouth

nomak: you been tryin to get screen printing equipment too!? haha, get at me about that. i'd be down to throw down on that with you. i been tryin to get my hands on some equipment myself. i'll IM you next time i see you on.

seeking and joker: i agree with what you are both saying about selling things painted on cardboard. there is no denying that your right. about your comments on white people too, lol. but anyways, like i said before, thats the reason i havent really tried to pursue a career in art; just cuz im hardheaded like nomak said and believe "art is art, not material or media"

i think all of you are right... about everything youve said about nomaks paintings... but... ive seen nomaks stuff all around my home town... ive seen his style progressions, his karries, everything, and personally, i like the flava that the cardboard brings to his style... i think it totally fits the way i see his art... ive seen it on wood, on walls, on bridges too... and no matter the material, i think it all soots that cat... hes got hella mad skills... keep rockin the cardboard... im lovin it... i think its a great media for what your rockin...

ive never painted on wood before..that wasnt attached to someones fence or that paint resistant rectangle on a freight. haha. anyway..

any type of wood in particular that works better with spraypaint? how should i prepare the surface before i paint it? any tips are appreciated x10.