Canvas Thread

Harpo Marx

This forum is supported by the 12ozProphet Shop, so go buy a shirt and help support!
This forum is brought to you by the 12ozProphet Shop.
This forum is brought to you by the 12oz Shop.

netster,

since i'm bored and you asked for it. ;)

what are you trying to do with your canvas stuff? how serious are you taking it? is it just something to fiddle with when you're bored, or are you actually trying to express emotions and ideas? if all you're trying to do is make some neat looking stuff to give to college freshman and try and get some ass, then it looks pretty good. if you're trying to really express yourself though, you're going to have to dig a little deeper and take a whole lot more risks. the whole bubbles/drips thing has been done to death. taking a word or simple phrase and using it as the focal point of your piece is kind of like shaving with a machette, ya know. it can be done effectively, but it takes a level of skill and understanding that you probably don't have (which is not an insult at all).

i dont want to discourage you, just try to get you to look at what you're trying to do in an open and honest way. the two canvases you did looked decent, but there were pretty rudimentary. you mentioned possibly adding some black and white characters. big mistake. the one thing the canvases have going for them is their negative space and their slight ambiguity. stick a character in there and you've ruined it. characters are a tricky subject. way too many people settle for characters that are 'technically' cool, but emotionally boring as fuck. take a look at the 'character' thread for a bazillion examples of that shit. if you do go with a character, try to come up with ones that, like photographs, speak a thousand words. dont use one dimensional characters that are so cliche as to be suffocating to the rest of your work.

just try and figure out what you want out of your work, then move in that direction. michaels was built for racking, and scrap wood is plentiful; dont be afraid to waste paint and waste surfaces. that is a HUGE problem that i have. i feel like every piece i start has the weight of the world hanging on it. bullshit. it gets to the point where creatively speaking, i'm almost neutered by the fear of not nailing it. thats not really how shit works. mistakes are often the most fertile soil for new ideas. if you do shit right, you're happy with it and you learn nothing. do shit wrong and you're forced to take a critical look at yourself.

ok, thats enough aimless ranting. alot of that was actually written as advice to myself, so if you dont feel any of it applies to you, feel free to discard it.

just try and have a positive attitude about painting, and don't settle for shit if what you really want is flowers.

seeks/monday morning quarterback

Originally posted by seeking@Nov 5 2004, 05:07 PM

netster,

since i'm bored and you asked for it. ;)

what are you trying to do with your canvas stuff? how serious are you taking it? is it just something to fiddle with when you're bored, or are you actually trying to express emotions and ideas? if all you're trying to do is make some neat looking stuff to give to college freshman and try and get some ass, then it looks pretty good. if you're trying to really express yourself though, you're going to have to dig a little deeper and take a whole lot more risks. the whole bubbles/drips thing has been done to death. taking a word or simple phrase and using it as the focal point of your piece is kind of like shaving with a machette, ya know. it can be done effectively, but it takes a level of skill and understanding that you probably don't have (which is not an insult at all).

i dont want to discourage you, just try to get you to look at what you're trying to do in an open and honest way. the two canvases you did looked decent, but there were pretty rudimentary. you mentioned possibly adding some black and white characters. big mistake. the one thing the canvases have going for them is their negative space and their slight ambiguity. stick a character in there and you've ruined it. characters are a tricky subject. way too many people settle for characters that are 'technically' cool, but emotionally boring as fuck. take a look at the 'character' thread for a bazillion examples of that shit. if you do go with a character, try to come up with ones that, like photographs, speak a thousand words. dont use one dimensional characters that are so cliche as to be suffocating to the rest of your work.

just try and figure out what you want out of your work, then move in that direction. michaels was built for racking, and scrap wood is plentiful; dont be afraid to waste paint and waste surfaces. that is a HUGE problem that i have. i feel like every piece i start has the weight of the world hanging on it. bullshit. it gets to the point where creatively speaking, i'm almost neutered by the fear of not nailing it. thats not really how shit works. mistakes are often the most fertile soil for new ideas. if you do shit right, you're happy with it and you learn nothing. do shit wrong and you're forced to take a critical look at yourself.

ok, thats enough aimless ranting. alot of that was actually written as advice to myself, so if you dont feel any of it applies to you, feel free to discard it.

just try and have a positive attitude about painting, and don't settle for shit if what you really want is flowers.

seeks/monday morning quarterback

hey man, I agree with you on almost every front. Much like you, I'm scared of attempting what else I have in mind in fear of ruining it. I'm in the same boat as you with the feeling held back by thinking every piece needs to perfect and a masterpiece. These are mostly just starting points for either more developed canvases or something to just get me thinking in a less computer based/straight bombing kind of way. I really do appreciate your comments though man.

Originally posted by seeking@Nov 4 2004, 03:23 PM

i still dont care for letters on canvas much, but that tenz shit is pretty dope.

the idea behind the first one is awesome.

interesting,,,would u be kind enough to explain/ elaborate on why you dont like letters on canvas seeking,,i can go both ways with it and can draw a few hypothesis as to why one would take said stance,,but im very curious as to why you feel as such

thankx