Canvas Thread

Harpo Marx

This forum is supported by the 12ozProphet Shop, so go buy a shirt and help support!
This forum is brought to you by the 12ozProphet Shop.
This forum is brought to you by the 12oz Shop.

i just spent about an hour anda half reading through the last 15 or so pages..... i realized i should have been checking this thread out more.

tons of great work here.

edit: i need some adive, and i forgot to ask about it.

when painting in acrylics, is it possible to use a bit of water to make the paint more opaque and translucent effectively? i suppose i should experiment...just wondering if i could get some good advice before i go and fuck something up.

thanks.

casek,

opaque and translucent are opposits. water will not make it thicker, but yes, it will make it thinner. you can also get a gel 'medium' in a bunch of different consistencies and finishes (matt, gloss, flat, etc).

the panda was real slick, although i could have done with a slightly different background. actually, i just looked at it again after saying that, and i like the background i just wish there wasnt the big splotch of whatever it is right above his head. it throws me off. otherwise, that shit is real dope.

Guest willy.wonka

he does a whole lot more than just that one.. it was a gift for this store we have down here..he gets around too..he gets pussy flown in from japan they jock him so much..

i'll try to find some more of his work.. i have one in my room.

Originally posted by seeking@Oct 12 2004, 02:55 PM

casek,

opaque and translucent are opposits. water will not make it thicker, but yes, it will make it thinner. you can also get a gel 'medium' in a bunch of different consistencies and finishes (matt, gloss, flat, etc).

i realize that now...i apologize, i was having a bout with insomnia that night...was up for 26 hours and feeling it.

anyway, what i was looking for was a reallly light translucent effect. like, say "ghosting" type shit.

about to go to the art store and find these magical 'gels' you speak of. thanks for the help, seeks.

yeah, just use a lot of the gel medium, and a tiny bit of color. make sure to get a medium that fits the rest of your pallet in terms of surface (ie: glass, satin, matt, etc - i cant think of how to say it properly right now).

they also make some of the regular colors in 'translucent' versions. the only ones ive actually come across, are a deep red, an ochre yellow and a midnight blue, although im sure they make others. i really like them a lot for laying shit. they're probably just thinned out versions of the regular colors, but im ghetto and dont know shit about shit.

i actually like this thread and thats why i brought dazers first ever canvas ill have to post it up its pretty class for a first and ive started my first canvas just a big black arrow and a red bckground at first dnt know what step next ill post it when i can be arsed laters vare oner..187uk

Originally posted by seeking@Oct 14 2004, 12:49 PM

yeah, just use a lot of the gel medium, and a tiny bit of color. make sure to get a medium that fits the rest of your pallet in terms of surface (ie: glass, satin, matt, etc - i cant think of how to say it properly right now).

they also make some of the regular colors in 'translucent' versions. the only ones ive actually come across, are a deep red, an ochre yellow and a midnight blue, although im sure they make others. i really like them a lot for laying shit. they're probably just thinned out versions of the regular colors, but im ghetto and dont know shit about shit.

naw, you think you're ghetto...i just ruined a piece by thinning it with water...and ugh...gah...the consequences are brutal. i'm gonna try and work with it, but i'm not sure if i can.

i saw the little bottles of gel you speak of...hobby lobby wants 8$ for a tiny ass bottle. fucking ridiculous. anyway, now i know i shoulda just not been sucha tightwad and bought it.

Originally posted by Angry Kids@Oct 12 2004, 10:23 AM

no vinyl's became the thing to do cuz i'm poor can't afford to rack or pay for big canvas's so i do records i get fro free, so shutup...

Dog, hope u dont mind me taking ur idea..I was looking at sum of ur shit and was like damn round canvas?...Then I realized it was an old record..duuhh..lol..well anywayz u got sum nice shit goin on...I have a shit load of old records when I was a "DJ"..Cool shit doe...stay up peace...from Oakland Califaz..

casek,

that's what pockets are for dog.

finding shit to paint on is not difficult. scrap wood is plentiful and if you feel like digging in the couch cushions, you can get 16x20 canvases at michaels for only. $2.99

oh, you need something larger? you can get hollow doors (w/o holes) from home depot for $19. not bad for a perfect 3'x7' 'canvas'.

terrible photos, but whatever. and i know they'd look way 'fresher' with a real 'def' handstyle across them, i don't care.

post-8348-1097813239.jpg

post-8348-1097813294.jpg