Canvas Thread

Harpo Marx

Originally posted by MrChupacabra

yeah, i have no problem with people criticising my work, but i mean, if you're going to at least offer some constructive criticism. I'm really not into art for the money, yeah, i'd enjoy making a few bucks here or there, or trading some of my stuff or whatever, but thats not priority. Also, yes, those both were kicked out pretty quickly, so like you guys said, they didn't look too great. The whole selling them thing was why i said i don't want to put set prices on anything, i'd much rather trade or even give them away to someone.

I need to do more shit, but all my paintings lately have been pissing me off to no end and my lack of improvement as of late is ridiculous. Trial and error, trial and error...

Lets see some more work everybody

i hear ya on that man... i havent been feeling my pieces lately as far as graffiti goes... letters are hurting.

your canvases werent that bad, im new to canvases myself. mine wont be good for a long time, especially since im not fond of painting, but where they are kind of cool is the message or idea behind them... ill post them when i get them done...

This forum is supported by the 12ozProphet Shop, so go buy a shirt and help support!
This forum is brought to you by the 12ozProphet Shop.
This forum is brought to you by the 12oz Shop.

El coro really feelin the DJ one what size is it very intrested in buyin it...what cha lookin at $$$ wise for that? feelin the things ya got on conceptart.org also real talent there bro hit me back with the info Ive already got a spot on the wall for it..............:king:

"For those of you reading... Kema and I were almost done with a full color sketch book of all pieces by just me and him. I think we both had to do 15 pieces each and it was damn close to being finished. I mailed it to him so he could do his last couple of pages and it never arrived. And like an ass I didn't register or insure it... now it's missing in action forever. The plan was to print it through Skullzpress as their first color book. So sad... "

WHAT!! YOURE FUCKING KIDDING ME!! FUCKING POSTAL SERVICE!!

i saw some of beardos sketches he was working on.....good god that blows.....dood you gotta just put it behind, and start again...that book will be a hit for sure....besides, now whats beardo gonna get me for xmas....

Here's one...

http://www.fotango.com/p/eba00358376f00000001.jpg'>

Here's a canvas my boy did, he's not really a writer, but he paints with us sometimes. I went over to his house and saw it lying in the corner of his room and i was all "Thats dope shit!" He said he origonally wasn't going to finish it because his brothers were knocking it, but i got him to. I think it came out pretty fucking well.

Guest ASTISM
Originally posted by Harpo Marx

Awesome stuff.

Astism, can you email me? I got a quick question.

Gracias.

I don't have your email brother

this goes out to joker/whoever else it applies to...

the background

i'm 16, and i love art. my drawing skills have progressed tremendously in the past few years because of graffiti and my love for anything that looks cool. i started getting into canvases two years ago.. they were cheesy and not very appealing at first, but the more recently produced ones i'm rather fond of. anywho, i plan on going to a college to study art. only problem is

the problem

i've got no idea what to do; how to make it as an artist. sure, there's always burger king. but that's not fun. i recently saw ESPO do a lecture. he was talking about different people/companies like Reebok and Calvin Klein wanted him to do things for him. how do they know about him? is it simply a matter of organizing gallery shows and hoping the right people go there and like your work? i'm sure there's more to it. what kind of jobs are out there? where do i start? granted i'm no barry mcgee, i like what i do, other people do as well... i guess i'm asking how does an above mediocre budding artist not starve to death in an alley, and what should he study in college?

any help is much appreciated... i'm thinking about deferring for a year and then going to hopefully Pratt (it's the only school that sent me things and looks interesting, but expensive)

thank you

wow that's a good question. i slept during most of marketing class but what i incorpated is that comapnies, seek for advertising companies, and maybe ESPO had a Company or what not and that's how the picked him up. major companies hire people to even search for the advertising companies. that's my input.

work for sale

a lot of the time the work you put in is on a freelance basis and not as a full time payroll designer / artist. when you freelance your skills you need to think business first and draw up contracts for payment and hourly wage. some people want a price upfront. i dont know any sites that have copies of freelance contracts but i know they're out there, maybe the AIGA website. i got jerked before i took the contracts seriously. the people you are working for want to be your friend but you have to realize that its a business deal and not a friendship. if you know you can deliver what you want then you have to be confident to ask for what you deserve. good luck

i havent done a new canvas in a bit now but here are a few older ones.

my first canvas ever. no plan, acrylics. '96

http://www.fotango.com/p/eba00280869f00000073.jpg'>

take two same deal. no plan, acrylics. '97

http://www.fotango.com/p/eba00280869f00000074.jpg'>

this one is a bit more evolved in the series. planned, underpainted, oils '99

http://www.fotango.com/p/eba00280869f00000071.jpg'>

i just started finishing another in the series will post when its ready.