Canvas Thread

Harpo Marx

This forum is supported by the 12ozProphet Shop, so go buy a shirt and help support!
This forum is brought to you by the 12ozProphet Shop.
This forum is brought to you by the 12oz Shop.
Originally posted by kristina

i'm not a net fag excuse me for not caring whether a photo is blurry or not :rolleyes:

I know more than most that the quality of ones art is in the eye of the onlooker. What one may find to resemble simple, trash and childlike, another may find it to be gripping. That said...

Kristina... your response to my request to care more about your photos and posts drives home the previous thought I had of your work. Rushed. Maybe if you did care, about both your art and your posts you'd make more of an impact. It's not a dis, just an observation. I've read your post several times now and I still don't understand what not being a "net fag" has to do with clear photos. Maybe if you said you're not a camera fag...

no doubt^^

yeah i dont feel it either, i know its been said before but it DOES looked rushed, almost as if you only did em to post em up here. for me personally id rather destroy 10 canvases and only come out with one that took me so long because then its real, its not rushed in order to get compliments on the internet for it (and im not saying that you did this but im just saying that that is what i observed at least:no diss or anythign)

and those shoes frankly my dear, are fuckin terrible

please discontinue those

but yeah thats my two cents

Originally posted by seeking

joker,

you're more qualified to speak on this stuff than anyone, and even if you dont think you make sense, trust me, you do. this whole thing could be improved ten fold just by you having more of a presence.

Honestly, I did for a while. I even spent plenty of time in other threads just "listening" in on conversations about what makes a piece good or not. Most of the time I just let the thread go. Every once in a while I'll throw in some thoughts but they're either dismissed or not understood. Sometimes they're taken for what they are, opinions and sometimes they're taken with a grain of salt followed by a thank you. I had even given thought to opening a thread where kids could post images of their work I and would critique it, redraw it, offer ideas... whatever. Problem with that is, I have a life.

Graffiti on canvas... hmmmm. Well, I have a few ideas about this subject but most of it is all trash. I think traditional graffiti has no place on canvas. Though I contradict myself because I think what Zone does is damn nice. It's an arguement with myself because I believe that your options on canvas are wide open. So why do the same old thing? I guess if you can do traditional pieces right, like Zone, then it works. Themo too. So as to any "rule" of art, there are exceptions. I also agree that the drips and spray splatters are played. The faux buff marks too. I can see why they're used though. They apply themselves to the feel of the pieces in front of them. What would make these elements pop for me is to do them in a new way. How? I don't play with those things so you'll have to fry your own noodle on that one. The black and white characters on sporatic backgrounds... I don't know. Again, it works for some and for others... just stop. Please. For me, the character has to be iconic. Something that will be easily recognizable when seen again... even if it's a month later. Does that make sense? This is one mans opinion though. This is not to say that kids should cease doing black and white characters on canvas unless such guidelines are followed. If you're doing abstract on a canvas... explore. That's all I'm going to say about that one. I still think the best artists I've ever met are the ones who are humble. If you think your work is really good, chances are it sucks. It's natural to like your work and have a few favorites, but to think your shit don't stink is grounds for failing.

Be humble. Ask questions. Think through. Take your time. Explore your possibilities and never ever throw anything away. Trust me on that last one...

Originally posted by kristina

if i was rushing to do canvasses to put on here then i must've been rushing to post them up for 3 or 4 years since that was when the majority of these were made.

Is that your way of saying you think you older work is better than your newer work?

Side note: Are you really from NYC?

Kristina,

I dont know if your so defensive because your young, or you lack self-confidence in your work or what, but if you lose that attitude and learn some humility it will go a long way.

Lots of people front on here about where they are from, so a simple "Yes, Im really from New York" would possibly open up some positive avenues of communication. Especially with somebody like Joker, who could definitely provide some good insight into your work.

You arent enough of a net fag to care about a blurry photo, but a few posts above you recommended how somebody should resize thier photos for the net. Which is it.

Heres some 12 oz etiquette. Come on here, communicate, remember your behind a screen so tough talk and such just makes you lose credibility. There are a bunch of good people in here, who are always up for giving advice. Take it in. Think before you speak.

Take your own advice "Learn it. Know it. Live it."

Originally posted by Joker

Honestly, I did for a while. I even spent plenty of time in other threads just "listening" in on conversations about what makes a piece good or not. Most of the time I just let the thread go. Every once in a while I'll throw in some thoughts but they're either dismissed or not understood. Sometimes they're taken for what they are, opinions and sometimes they're taken with a grain of salt followed by a thank you. I had even given thought to opening a thread where kids could post images of their work I and would critique it, redraw it, offer ideas... whatever. Problem with that is, I have a life.

Graffiti on canvas... hmmmm. Well, I have a few ideas about this subject but most of it is all trash. I think traditional graffiti has no place on canvas. Though I contradict myself because I think what Zone does is damn nice. It's an arguement with myself because I believe that your options on canvas are wide open. So why do the same old thing? I guess if you can do traditional pieces right, like Zone, then it works. Themo too. So as to any "rule" of art, there are exceptions. I also agree that the drips and spray splatters are played. The faux buff marks too. I can see why they're used though. They apply themselves to the feel of the pieces in front of them. What would make these elements pop for me is to do them in a new way. How? I don't play with those things so you'll have to fry your own noodle on that one. The black and white characters on sporatic backgrounds... I don't know. Again, it works for some and for others... just stop. Please. For me, the character has to be iconic. Something that will be easily recognizable when seen again... even if it's a month later. Does that make sense? This is one mans opinion though. This is not to say that kids should cease doing black and white characters on canvas unless such guidelines are followed. If you're doing abstract on a canvas... explore. That's all I'm going to say about that one. I still think the best artists I've ever met are the ones who are humble. If you think your work is really good, chances are it sucks. It's natural to like your work and have a few favorites, but to think your shit don't stink is grounds for failing.

Be humble. Ask questions. Think through. Take your time. Explore your possibilities and never ever throw anything away. Trust me on that last one...

Thanks for the kind words Joker..I'm not too knowledgable on the subject of Art and what not..most of the time when I'm working on a canvas its kind of like I'm trying to accurately as possible, produce something that I would paint,(on a wall) only scaled down of course. Not as fun as doing a real piece and alot of times the work falls short, but I dont have a problem selling/trading work to cover my time and expenses and buy more supplies for doing pieces which is my real love..To me their more Like a large trading card that you can hang on the wall. When your ready to bust out a "Joke" canvas let me know...I wanna trade, but none of that squiggly line stuff.

:crazy:

Guest im not witty

posted in the babble as well. whatever. first times using brushes.

http://img.photobucket.com/albums/1003/backagain/07d97f23.jpg'>

http://img.photobucket.com/albums/1003/backagain/art002chair.jpg'>

http://img.photobucket.com/albums/1003/backagain/art001chair.jpg'>

and just in case anyones feeling saucy and trying to pull my card. that last image is not original its totally stolen out of some book and re imagined by me. so there.

piss out.