Canvas Thread

Harpo Marx

This forum is supported by the 12ozProphet Shop, so go buy a shirt and help support!
This forum is brought to you by the 12ozProphet Shop.
This forum is brought to you by the 12oz Shop.
Originally posted by THE CORONER

why does every writer these days thinks that people want to buy theyre shit

im so sick of it

is there anything that doesn't annoy you?

i guess if you sell your art to people who appreciate it your sum kind of a sell out or sumthin.

Originally posted by Coffie Crave

well its becuase people do want art for there place,

and artist's cant just give stuff away, they have to put food on the table

art? that's a twist bite and a kool keith album cover over top of a generic 15 second spray painted background.

if you're counting on art sales to support you, you're gonna be one broke, starving, self agrandizing motherfucker.

im not trying to be a dick, but $50?! no one has ever heard of you. you're not a 'famous' street artist, you're a dude trying to get over on ebay. sorry, but if you're gonna put yourself up for sale, we have a right to discuss the product.

Originally posted by THE CORONER

word up no shit thats what i was trying to say

just cause i can do canvases in the comfort of your own home doesnt make you a fuckin legend, whos worthy of selling his art for $50 bucks a pop

thanks for saying what i couldnt seeking

ok, i get wut ur saying. i dont think anybody is trying to claim they are sum kind of legend tho cuz they are trying to sell their art. i dont expect to make shit off of my artwork. success to me is not how much money i got. i do art just as a hobby, i dont expect to gain anything materialistic out of it. if i can make a little extra cash on the side doing wut i love to do than awesome tho. but as far as making money from artwork. it isn't gonna happen, unless your doing graphic design work for corporations. and that isn't very fun, and isn't self-expression, cuz its just intended to make peopel buy somethin. thats why i dont really wanna pursue art as a career

the problem i have with alot of people that try selling their work is that they completely fail to realize/accept/understand the fact that mediocre artwork from a no-name individual is worth just slightly less than a stolen glue stick from kinkos, and that their attempt to peddle it (especially on the internet) is basically retarded.

if dude was to go down to his little hipster area of the city, set up a little table and try selling his stuff, or put it up in coffee shops or something, fine, have at it. do it locally where people can get a feel for you, maybe even talk to you about your work and what it means to you. but putting something on ebay, (esp. with such a completely ridiculous starting price) is implying that you already know theres a market for it, the only question is how much is it going to bring in. to quote our english friends 'bullocks!'. when you have to rely on the strength of other peoples names (that you have no connection to what so ever, save the occasional bitten style) to even get your stuff looked at, that's just sad.

i'm not trying to be an asshole here, this is all just my opinion, and it's certainly nothing personal. i'd say the same thing to my best friend.

Originally posted by kristina

if someone wants to sell their art because they know there are stupid idiots out there that will buy anything then let them i don't see what the big deal is :idea:

the big deal is integrity and self respect. if you don't mind whoring yourself around, i don't mind calling you a whore.

Guest sneak
Originally posted by seeking

to quote our english friends 'bullocks!'.

its bollocks mate.

anyway, i personally feel that if your going to put something up on ebay that youve made then you should start the bid off at the smallest possible. let people decide if they want to pay extorionate prices, if they think its good.

Originally posted by crave

that's a pretty cool they've got going there.

how'd you get turned on to that? if you don't mind me asking.

It's a long story. To make it short though, they called and asked if I'd be interested in painting a mock up of their soon to be released car. I said yea, sure. There ya go. The auction is for a good cause, but mine ain't bringin' in shit. Lots of great artists did stuff for them as well. Some of it is going for cash too!

Because of this... I don't feel I can add to the debate over ebay and selling artwork. Though I guess I do have the name and the style to stand on. If I were in the position of someone who is "toy until further notice"... I would take Seeking's advice and sell stuff on the street or in small coffee houses. Just a thought...

those cars are also $100 to ship, which is a huge turn off to any graff fan that might otherwise be interested. $150 is still a steal for some of them, but the idea of paying twice as much for shipping, as you are for the item, is just sort of difficult to get over.

the only cats who are bringing in real money seem to be dudes that are either super famous (cartoon) or famous 'artists' in a more traditional sense, that probably have a name and an agent and a reputation (atleast it seemed that way from what little i saw).